Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck on Monday man! MSK almost over

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks doc!

Members don't see this ad.

MS1 students, could you please share your current schedule or what a typical week for you is?

I just wanna add that you are given the schedule during orientation so you can see what they have in store for you throughout the entire year. The schedule is of course subject to change but it rarely does. Knowing what's coming does help you prepare for the "hell weeks" we have here at KCU.

Also during your first two blocks you don't have anatomy lab so you have quite a bit of time outside of class to study. Then MSK hits and you're in the anatomy lab 4-6 hours a weeks in addition to OS labs and PCM competencies and you wonder where all your study time goes. Then caffeine becomes your best friend.

And no, i'm not on SDN to procrastinate studying for my MSK final... :whistle:

Reactions: 3 users
Just jumping in because I saw this on the CIB, but KCU follows normal AACOMAS traffic guidelines, meaning that if you are admitted before Nov. 15 you have until Dec. 14 to pay your $1,000 deposit :)

Are you considering going here or sticking with MSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of the joplin campus, does anyone know what the curriculum will be like and what opportunities/resources will be available to students? can't find too much info about it online? For example will some lectures be live streamed from the KC campus?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody heard of someone who put "either" as their campus preference and got accepted to the KC campus? It seems like only those who preferred KC are getting accepted to KC and those who preferred either are getting accepted to Joplin. I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot by putting either. I would really like to go to KC.

Can any current students speak to social life at KCU? Like do first years all typically live in the same building. I understand time management is everything but with the biweekly exam format do a lot of students go out and enjoy being a young person. How do you feel about living in Kansas City?

In terms of the joplin campus, does anyone know what the curriculum will be like and what opportunities/resources will be available to students? can't find too much info about it online? For example will some lectures be live streamed from the KC campus?

It will be the same curriculum as here in KC. There will be an emphasis on the rural medicine track. They will have access to Freeman health and Mercy Joplin as teaching affiliates. Joplin will have it's own faculty however there will be certain lectures live streamed from KC.

Has anybody heard of someone who put "either" as their campus preference and got accepted to the KC campus? It seems like only those who preferred KC are getting accepted to KC and those who preferred either are getting accepted to Joplin. I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot by putting either. I would really like to go to KC.

@musicmed I believe selected both and got selected to KC. If you are really hoping to go to KC I would contact admissions and let them know.

Can any current students speak to social life at KCU? Like do first years all typically live in the same building. I understand time management is everything but with the biweekly exam format do a lot of students go out and enjoy being a young person. How do you feel about living in Kansas City?

There is so much to do here in KC. I would say 80% of our class has post exam get togethers at Power and Light, or Crossroads District, or Westport. All areas that are bars/restaurants galore. One of the reasons I chose KC was because there was a great diversity, social science, and sort of "up and coming" vibe with food, music, and art here.

I chose either on the form but where it asks you to explain, I wrote that I preferred the KC campus since I'd already gone through their COB program and lived in the area and knew the faculty/staff. I was willing to go to Joplin though because I believe in the curriculum and program at KCU.

Patti told me that each of the Deans would choose whether or not they wanted to accept you if you put either.

I also believe they are looking specifically for rural emphasis for Joplin acceptances although there was talk about feeding a lot of COB grads into the Joplin site.

Not sure if you were trying to PM me or @AlteredScale

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I chose either on the form but where it asks you to explain, I wrote that I preferred the KC campus since I'd already gone through their COB program and lived in the area and knew the faculty/staff. I was willing to go to Joplin though because I believe in the curriculum and program at KCU.

Patti told me that each of the Deans would choose whether or not they wanted to accept you if you put either.

I also believe they are looking specifically for rural emphasis for Joplin acceptances although there was talk about feeding a lot of COB grads into the Joplin site.

Not sure if you were trying to PM me or @AlteredScale

I PM'd Altered. But thanks for the reply! Yes, they said during the presentation that the deans would meet and decide for whoever put "either". Maybe I'll send Patti an email haha idk. I'm just being paranoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it normal to bring a pen and pad of paper to the interview with you? There's going to be a lot of information I get throughout the day and I'd want to write it all down.

Is this a common thing, or will I be the only one doing it?

After my interview I'm going to fly back home directly without going back to my hotel room. Is there going to be a place I can leave my things during the interview and that I can come back and pick them up afterwards?

After my interview I'm going to fly back home directly without going back to my hotel room. Is there going to be a place I can leave my things during the interview and that I can come back and pick them up afterwards?

Admissions will hold your bags during interview day :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Is it normal to bring a pen and pad of paper to the interview with you? There's going to be a lot of information I get throughout the day and I'd want to write it all down.

Most people in my group had a pen and paper in a pad folio type thing.

COA wise, can anyone comment on the average apartment rent here? And driving in the winter through snow?

600-1000 for a studio or 1br but you can find 2br steals as well around that price but for a nice 2br or one in a coolmarea think 1200-1300+.

Being from CA, driving here during the snow was not bad. They clear our the roads fairly quick and because its a busy commuter area most of the snow melts by the time you get on the road.

Reactions: 1 users
Well despite not having a deposit let's just say I'm locked in. Loved this school and all it offers. Send me a FB group inv when it's made. Pm me for name.

Did we ever decide if KCU makes the FB page or if one of us can make it?

i saw some people who brought some and others did not, so its normal

Are they still going to have spots in the class if I'm not interviewing until November 2?

Anyone else interviewing on Tuesday?? Super excited, this is definitely my top choice!

Interviewing the day after tomorrow. Anybody got any advice or words of wisdom for me? I'm sorta nervous about it, it's my first one.

Secondary submitted! Holy crap I'm scared that I might be too late as I got the Secondary application 2 1/2 weeks ago. :/

Has it been taking longer than 4 weeks post secondary submission to hear back? Tomorrow marks 4 weeks for me and I really like this school. Hoping for some love!

Interviewing the day after tomorrow. Anybody got any advice or words of wisdom for me? I'm sorta nervous about it, it's my first one.

Really laid back interview from my experience. Just read over your essay questions so you can talk about your experiences. Also you could practice answering the common questions "why medicine, why DO, why this school". Those could come up. Besides that just try to answer honestly and remember to be polite and have good communication skills (like answering the questions asked, making eye contact...). I would say this is a good first interview to have because it is low stress. Enjoy it and good luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
They apparently only sent half of those applications a secondary though! I think great @AlteredScale said this but I am not sure.

So the last cycle (2015-2016) it was just under 6K apps. The year before it was over 6K. I am not too sure how many apps they have this year so far but about half usually got a secondary (3K). From previous cycles they probably interview around 700-900 and accepted twice as many as their class size (around 500). The amount of interviews and acceptances is going to be higher because of the additional campus.

I'm on a plane from a Denver to KC that hasn't even taken off yet and the people behind me are already talking about q39.

What is this place? Why do I keep hearing about it without even setting foot in the state of Missouri?

Is it cheap? I am but a mere poor premed student but I really wanna check this place out. Might go tonight if I land early

I'm on a plane from a Denver to KC that hasn't even taken off yet and the people behind me are already talking about q39.

What is this place? Why do I keep hearing about it without even setting foot in the state of Missouri?

Is it cheap? I am but a mere poor premed student but I really wanna check this place out. Might go tonight if I land early

https://q39kc.com

Its just out of this world bbq dishes. You have to try it!

anyone who was complete on 8/23 hear back yet?

Nope :( I called at the end of last week and the lady in Admissions said I hadn't been reviewed yet. She said she put a note on my file so that I would hear something back this week hopefully!

Interview invite by email now. Complete 8/23. So it turned out to be one day short of 8 weeks.

Oh god, so I guess I won't hear back for another month :boom:

Word of advice to any accepted students: start your hep b series ASAP!

Word of advice to any accepted students: start your hep b series ASAP!

Does KCU have a vaccination form available once you start the matriculation process? I'd like to make an appt ASAP to get it out of the way.

II just now by email. Very excited for my first interview!