Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!! I didn't put KC as my preference, but I did mention I was interested in the military track, which I believe is only available in KC.

Just some thoughts for those still applying and will be interviewing:
-Definitely recommend Hotel Philips as it's super close and there's a free shuttle to the school. You can also take the free lightrail from the hotel around KC for touring. Only downside is they're doing renovations, so you might not have water from 10am-4pm.
-Highly recommend Jack Stack's bbq. Get the pick 2 Kansas City combo with burnt ends and crown prime beef rib.

Stats: Lizzy M 67, secondary submitted mid/late August, interviewed 10/6.

Does anyone know if there's a fb group? Also can anyone comment on the Centro vs Lusso at CT?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!! I didn't put KC as my preference, but I did mention I was interested in the military track, which I believe is only available in KC.

-Definitely recommend Hotel Philips as it's super close and there's a free shuttle to the school. You can also take the free lightrail from the hotel around KC for touring. Only downside is they're doing renovations, so you might not have water from 10am-4pm.
-Highly recommend Jack Stack's bbq. Get the pick 2 Kansas City combo with burnt ends and crown prime beef rib.

Does anyone know if there's a fb group? Also can anyone comment on the Centro vs Lusso at CT?

Congrats! I guess I'll take on this and any CT questions having lived here over a year now haha. @AlteredScale can take on everything else lol

The larger (i.e. more expensive) room is MUCH larger. I don't remember the different names but I think Lusso is larger. The smaller one is essentially a one bedroom apartment with an extra bedroom (if you saw the model apt, just imagine another bedroom opposite the one there).

However, there are very limited models of the large two bedroom. I want to say there's 2 large apartments per floor but I'm not 100% sure of that. It's possible to get it as a first year, but I think people who live here first year and want to live with a friend the next year usually request them. The larger apartment has a much wider living room space and kitchen. I think either one works well for most people though! (I have a one bedroom for reference)

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Cheaper! Not all of us can afford to send our posts from our iPads using the SDN mobile app or the 816 Hotel
I found an airbnb that was $34 within like 4-5 miles of the campus. Only costed maybe $7 more to uber to campus in the morning! Not the safest neighborhood, but hey it was cheap and I survived :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I interviewed there recently, could you tell me how long you had to wait after your interview to hear back?

Congrats! I guess I'll take on this and any CT questions having lived here over a year now haha. @AlteredScale can take on everything else lol

The larger (i.e. more expensive) room is MUCH larger. I don't remember the different names but I think Lusso is larger. The smaller one is essentially a one bedroom apartment with an extra bedroom (if you saw the model apt, just imagine another bedroom opposite the one there).

However, there are very limited models of the large two bedroom. I want to say there's 2 large apartments per floor but I'm not 100% sure of that. It's possible to get it as a first year, but I think people who live here first year and want to live with a friend the next year usually request them. The larger apartment has a much wider living room space and kitchen. I think either one works well for most people though! (I have a one bedroom for reference)

Hope that helps!

I also live at CT in a one bedroom. As someone who likes to cook, I can't imagine having to live in a Centro and share the common area and smaller kitchen and fridge.

My friends live in a Lusso which has a dining area and larger living area with a larger kitchen that I'm super jealous of. If you have a larger dog, the Centro will feel cramped super fast. I'm pretty sure there are only 2 Lussos per floor (5-10) so they are harder to come by.

However, if you don't cook a lot, the Centro would be fine for two people. You can choose to study in the CT lounge or on campus if you need more room.

Also, showers are pretty cramped. I really wish there was a tub.

In spite of it all, if you don't have kids to worry about, I still choose to live here because of the location to the school, great security, and cheap utilities.

If you have kids to worry about, think Kansas for better school districts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So the average is a ~30 = ~508? Anyone who applied have an MCAT greater than 508?

I believe the avg MCAT was 27 for class of 2020 and 28 for class of 2019.

My friend is part of class of 2019 and had a 33.

I went through their SMP and was just accepted with a 501 (3.7 gGPA helps compensate).

I had a couple COB classmates with 509-511 MCAT who were accepted to KCU but went to their MD state school.

My other friend was part of class of 2016 and her class avg MCAT was just under 24. They had 100% match rate.

I went through their SMP and was just accepted with a 501 (3.7 gGPA helps compensate).

I had a couple COB classmates with 509-511 MCAT who were accepted to KCU but went to their MD state school.

My other friend was part of class of 2016 and her class avg MCAT was just under 24. They had 100% match rate.

How long after you interviewed did it take them to get back to you about being accepted? I interviewed recently and idk how they expect me to make it through six weeks of waiting

How long after you interviewed did it take them to get back to you about being accepted? I interviewed recently and idk how they expect me to make it through six weeks of waiting

I interviewed the very first day on 9/13 and heard back on 10/14 which was about 4 weeks. They seemed to be waiting on the Sep MCAT scores.

A couple of SDNers mentioned getting accepted today when they interviewed on 10/6 - making that about 2 weeks.

I interviewed the very first day on 9/13 and heard back on 10/14 which was about 4 weeks. They seemed to be waiting on the Sep MCAT scores.

A couple of SDNers mentioned getting accepted today when they interviewed on 10/6 - making that about 2 weeks.

Well, I guess that's better than waiting six weeks. Do you know if they also send you notification if they have rejected your application?

@AlteredScale Hey there! Interviewed 10/5 and found out yesterday I'm on the waitlist. Is their waitlist ranked? Does it help that I was interviewed pretty early? I will definitely send in a letter of intent because this is my top school. Any other information you have would be great! Like how many kids were taken from waitlist last year if you could guess and stuff. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted Friday via email! Love this school!

Reactions: 2 users
@AlteredScale I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you or somebody else could answer!

1. I interviewed on the 18th of this month, do you know how many interview sessions had taken place prior to mine? Was I on like the 5th interview session date or like the 15th?

2. I'm looking at the Century Towers folder they gave us, and I see that the double room is like $960, that's in total right? As in you split that monthly fee in half between you and your roommate and you each pay about $480, right?

Interviewed 09/23. Still waiting to hear back.

Once you get an interview, are acceptances/rejections based on how well you do on your interviews or do they also take your GPA, MCAT, ECS etc. into account when making the final decision ?

@AlteredScale I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you or somebody else could answer!

1. I interviewed on the 18th of this month, do you know how many interview sessions had taken place prior to mine? Was I on like the 5th interview session date or like the 15th?

2. I'm looking at the Century Towers folder they gave us, and I see that the double room is like $960, that's in total right? As in you split that monthly fee in half between you and your roommate and you each pay about $480, right?

I don't know about the first question (I would guess maybe 5-10 days so far based on how often I've seen interviewees haha.

As for CT, that is correct, you split that $960 cost :)

Once you get an interview, are acceptances/rejections based on how well you do on your interviews or do they also take your GPA, MCAT, ECS etc. into account when making the final decision ?

They review your entire file as a committee. The interview is more about "fit". The dean will make the final decision.

Received snail mail waitlist letter this weekend. For whatever reason, I didn't receive any email. Still hoping there's a chance in the future, really love this school.

any idea where we get this info or will it be sent to us? can't find it on /matriculation

They will have a link available for you to use. For us it was on the matriculation site, but that may still be in process for you guys since they are still updating the website.

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? I just submitted my primary. When I called, they told me that they prescreen applicants.
what do you mean "prescreen?" like run a background check?

what do you mean "prescreen?" like run a background check?

If you haven't been accepted they aren't going to a run a back ground check. Prescreen is making a decision based on minimum MCAT and GPA requirements

Does KCU email for II's or do they post it on the secondary app?

They just sent me a secondary invite due to some issues with them not being able to see my MCAT score. The issue is resolved but at this point, I wonder if it is even worth the money to send in a secondary. My stats are cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.71 MCAT 507 (126/126/127/128). Over a thousand hours of clinical experience, several LOR, etc. I assume they fill up very fast and an October secondary would almost be a waste of money.

Did the people who got wait listed think they did bad on their interviews, or was it because of their stats? I wonder what weight the interview has on the chance of acceptance, and if a person who had a good interview will still get waitlisted.

They just sent me a secondary invite due to some issues with them not being able to see my MCAT score. The issue is resolved but at this point, I wonder if it is even worth the money to send in a secondary. My stats are cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.71 MCAT 507 (126/126/127/128). Over a thousand hours of clinical experience, several LOR, etc. I assume they fill up very fast and an October secondary would almost be a waste of money.

With your stats it's not necessarily too late! Your above their average in both GPA and MCAT so I'd send it in if I were you! Maybe a decent idea to call and have that discussion with someone in their admissions office.

Has anyone else been accepted to the Joplin campus? That thread has been quiet.

Waitlist email =( thought I'd be a good fit for this school which is sad but here's to hoping. (interviewed 9/28)

I did. I think most people are just following this thread
Did you put Joplin as your campus preference?

II received. completed late aug

Reactions: 7 users
Called this morning and managed to get a spot on the 11/1 interview after someone cancelled :):)

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone that has been accepted so far made the payment online through the matriculation page? Still waiting on the follow up email from them.

Well today is business day #7 so hopefully we receive something in the mail today