Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed. I am 100% matriculating and want to get this chunk of money out of the way. But just for the record..last week I did get my first MD acceptance...so lets just say this will be forever an example of someone choosing DO over MD.
What MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone receive info yet on putting in payment for confirming seat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from KCU stating: "Congratulations again on your recent acceptance to KCU. Your acceptance letter referenced a forthcoming email containing more information about additional paperwork due and how to hold your seat for KCU-COM. This email will be sent out this week; we are currently experiencing a technical glitch and cannot send out today."
+1

Anyone who received today's email pay the acceptance fee yet? I looked at the arbitration agreement and technical standards form we need to sign but we need a student ID number to do so. I'm assuming we will get that once we have paid the acceptance fee?

Anyone who received today's email pay the acceptance fee yet? I looked at the arbitration agreement and technical standards form we need to sign but we need a student ID number to do so. I'm assuming we will get that once we have paid the acceptance fee?

You will get your student ID in the letter/packet of info they are promising you. You will also pay your deposits electronically using that number.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You will get your student ID in the letter/packet of info they are promising you. You will also pay your deposits electronically using that number.

Oh perfect, thanks!

Did anyone who is accepted not get today's email? I am looking through all the folders and dont see any email from them

Hey @AlteredScale how competitive is it to become an anatomy fellow here? What kinds of things make you competitive?

Hey @AlteredScale how competitive is it to become an anatomy fellow here? What kinds of things make you competitive?

Its pretty damn competitive haha. The screening process begins if/when you become an anatomy TA or tutor second year. Your dissecting skills are evluated by current fellows as well as anatomy faculty so you really need to know your stuff. Additionally feedback from your tutee group is used when you plan to apply as well.

I am on the edge of considering to apply for it but, idk haha.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Its pretty damn competitive haha. The screening process begins if/when you become an anatomy TA or tutor second year. Your dissecting skills are evluated by current fellows as well as anatomy faculty so you really need to know your stuff. Additionally feedback from your tutee group is used when you plan to apply as well.

I am on the edge of considering to apply for it but, idk haha.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Yeah, I figured it was lol. I interviewed with the Neuroanatomy professor Dr. Stephens and I feel like we really hit it off (I was eventually accepted lol). He was talking up the fellow thing to me.

Yeah, I figured it was lol. I interviewed with the Neuroanatomy professor Dr. Stephens and I feel like we really hit it off (I was eventually accepted lol). He was talking up the fellow thing to me.

Dude Dr. Stephens is awesome. He's been at KCU for ages and is one of the professors who essentially runs the anatomy fellowship selection process.

You gotta come here so that we can create some djent sounds. Erra and Veil of Maya all the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude Dr. Stephens is awesome. He's been at KCU for ages and is one of the professors who essentially runs the anatomy fellowship selection process.

You gotta come here so that we can create some djent sounds. Erra and Veil of Maya all the way.
I'm 100% matriculating! During the interview we literally talked about seeing Iron Maiden live and doing improv comedy (which we both did). I'm sure we can get him into some VOM (how sick is Matriarch btw?). You play any instruments? When I move in, I want to invest in like pro-tools or something just to write and mix my own metal stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied with a 512, but a 2.9 GPA (after 3 undergraduate degrees, it's difficult to make any headway). Lots of EC's, non-trad, veteran, URM (even though I don't look like it).

Got invited to submit primary with "priority review." Same for secondary. I was supposed to hear back about an interview within 4 weeks of 09/20, but nothing yet.

I grew up in KC but moved to GA for the military. Since I'm in town this week for a wedding, my wife and I walked around the campus today to check it out. Wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to drop by the admissions office to check my status in-person

By the way, the students there were very nice. Everyone was badging in to gain access to the buildings, and you all were unknowingly nice enough to hold the door for me so my wife and I could awkwardly and harmlessly trespass. Thanks!

Maybe I'll go back tomorrow or Thursday if @AlteredScale and Co. don't think it would be a big deal to show my face while asking about the status. My local med school liked that I did that last month.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you guys know how diverse the communities around KCU are? I'm very interesting in working with diverse communities as a student. I checked the demographics and it said the city is 50-70 percent Caucasian but I'm assuming since the school is located in a metro area, I will will get more exposure to different patients. Is this right?

I'm 100% matriculating! During the interview we literally talked about seeing Iron Maiden live and doing improv comedy (which we both did). I'm sure we can get him into some VOM (how sick is Matriarch btw?). You play any instruments? When I move in, I want to invest in like pro-tools or something just to write and mix my own metal stuff.

I absolutely NEED an II from this school so we can talk djent all day everyday! Not to mention I am all about neuroanatomy, that's my ish. But I have my own in house studio equipment, not too much but enough that I make my own music regularly (think The Browning). We could get together and make mind-numbingly heavy music.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys know how diverse the communities around KCU are? I'm very interesting in working with diverse communities as a student. I checked the demographics and it said the city is 50-70 percent Caucasian but I'm assuming since the school is located in a metro area, I will will get more exposure to different patients. Is this right?

The school is set in the northeast neighborhood which is a very diverse population. One of the schools next to our school is composed almost entirely of immigrants from Ethiopia and the like. Whether you're doing score 1, the free clinic, the homeless clinic, you will def be working with a diverse population that isn't just Caucasian.

There's also the global health track if that's something you are interested in!

Hahaha that's awesome. Matriarch is so good at first I wasn't too fond of them having a singer but it fit perfectly.

I play guitar!

I interviewed with Dr. Stephens too! Really enjoyed my experience, he was the only interviewer I had that actually had a conversation with me which I really appreciated. We talked about forensic histology and got on the topic of 9/11 conspiracies :laugh::laugh: best interview I've had so far lol

Also, I saw After the Burial in Michigan a few years back. Drifts live.... :bow::horns:

Interviewing here on friday, extremely pumped

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed with Dr. Stephens too! Really enjoyed my experience, he was the only interviewer I had that actually had a conversation with me which I really appreciated. We talked about forensic histology and got on the topic of 9/11 conspiracies :laugh::laugh: best interview I've had so far lol

Also, I saw After the Burial in Michigan a few years back. Drifts live.... :bow::horns:

Dr Stephens is character man haha. Would have loved to talk about 9/11 conspiracies haha.

Nice! It's a shame ATB's guitarist offed himself :/ he had a family hx of schizo.

Dr Stephens is character man haha. Would have loved to talk about 9/11 conspiracies haha.

Nice! It's a shame ATB's guitarist offed himself :/ he had a family hx of schizo.

Do you study?

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary officially complete here 10/3, anyone get an II since 10/3?

Secondary officially complete here 10/3, anyone get an II since 10/3?
I was complete on 10/5 and haven't heard anything. Seems like everyone on here has waited ~6 weeks for any news.

I was complete on 10/5 and haven't heard anything. Seems like everyone on here has waited ~6 weeks for any news.

So we are on Week 4 then, fingers crossed something comes through

Have those who interviewed 10/3-5 received a decision? Does that mean those who interviewed the week after can expect a decision this week?

I'm getting anxious :)

Last edited:
Do they like that? I held a leadership position in my schools ping pong and table tennis club. You think they would let us play the adcoms?

Ping pong gets serious here at KCU. If you can beat me or synapticdoctah or higherprimate you deserve to be here ;)

Ping pong gets serious here at KCU. If you can beat me or synapticdoctah or higherprimate you deserve to be here ;)

ImageUploadedBySDN1477516951.000544.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users

Sick! I saw them while touring Rareform back in like 2010.

So I'll be ubering it to the campus from my hotel, but I will have had to check out by then......is there somewhere why I can keep my luggage during the interview?

So I'll be ubering it to the campus from my hotel, but I will have had to check out by then......is there somewhere why I can keep my luggage during the interview?

Yep. When you sign in at campus, there will be a luggage cart you can place your stuff on. It'll be stored in the admissions office and you can pick it up at the end of your interview.

Just got the email with all the additional info and requested to join the FB group!!