Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's very early still.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm getting major anxiety lol

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very early still.

Don't forget, it's a very long cycle. I received my II exactly 4 weeks after my complete email. It's only August.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I'm anxious because I submitted my secondary a week ago but still haven't gotten a complete email yet. My LORs and MCAT scores are both on my AACOMAS and my MCAT was reported officially from the AAMC so I'm wondering if I did something wrong somewhere.

Last edited:
I haven't gotten a confirmation email yet on my interview but I logged in this morning to see if I could access the sample agenda and saw that my interview time changed. I signed up for the 10AM session but it says 8AM for me today.

I imagine they will use the same format as last year with with each interview day as a "full day. You begin in the morning with a continental breakfast, sit through some presentations, have lunch, then everyone waits for their interview slots. After your interview you may leave. I had the earliest slot last year (1:00 pm) so I was done by 1:30.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I haven't gotten a confirmation email yet on my interview but I logged in this morning to see if I could access the sample agenda and saw that my interview time changed. I signed up for the 10AM session but it says 8AM for me today.

I had a similar issue when I signed up as well

Yes. They just emailed me and said I should do their master's program. They said an average applicant has a 506 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA. Too bad my atrocious undergrad GPA wasn't fixed after 30+ units at a 4.0 :(

Hopefully I'll get in somewhere else!
I'm sorry to hear that, but I am sure you'll have luck elsewhere! When were you complete and under review?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. They just emailed me and said I should do their master's program. They said an average applicant has a 506 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA. Too bad my atrocious undergrad GPA wasn't fixed after 30+ units at a 4.0 :(

Hopefully I'll get in somewhere else!

I'm sure you will have luck elsewhere! Just to clarify, did it say 3.6/506 was an average applicant or matriculate? Lol if that is average for an applicant I'm shocked... And terrified

Rejected post secondary :/ definitely liked this school 3.25cGPA 3.4sGPA 505 MCAT

Edit: also the title of the email was "test" which was odd, also was told to do the masters. Assuming it's a GPA thing

Rejected post secondary :/ definitely liked this school 3.25cGPA 3.4sGPA 505 MCAT

Edit: also the title of the email was "test" which was odd, also was told to do the masters. Assuming it's a GPA thing

It's still early in the cycle man! You got this!!
I got the "test" subject email thing too-- but this was to confirm my interview date

called today to make sure there wasn't a problem with my LORs or anything else in my app that was keeping me from being marked complete and they said that the person who normally reviews applications to mark them as complete was out sick a lot last week but there was a good chance my app would be completed this week. So for anyone else who submitted a couple weeks ago and still not complete - hopefully it'll be very soon! :) Submitted 8/5

It's still early in the cycle man! You got this!!
I got the "test" subject email thing too-- but this was to confirm my interview date

Thanks! I hope so first rejection of the cycle definitely hurts haha, really liked this school. I was below their average stats tho so I guess it makes sense

Thanks! I hope so first rejection of the cycle definitely hurts haha, really liked this school. I was below their average stats tho so I guess it makes sense

I know what you mean, I got my first rejection a few days ago and it stung, but you just gotta keep moving forward and know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. We are gonna make it

I'm sorry about the bad news. Have you been out of school for a while? If you've been out of school for more than 2 years, they would most likely want you to go through their master's program to boost your GPA. As someone who went through their master's program, I do recommend it if you need that GPA boost and have been out of school for some time. Even though I ended up being waitlisted last cycle, I still recommend the program because I feel it has seriously prepared me for Med school.

I'm sorry about the bad news. Have you been out of school for a while? If you've been out of school for more than 2 years, they would most likely want you to go through their master's program to boost your GPA. As someone who went through their master's program, I do recommend it if you need that GPA boost and have been out of school for some time. Even though I ended up being waitlisted last cycle, I still recommend the program because I feel it has seriously prepared me for Med school.

I'm actually currently going into my senior year, so the lack of overall courses taken could be a thing too haha. I definitely do plan on doing a masters if i don't get in this cycle! I would definitely consider their program if this cycle doesn't go well, especially with your recommendation. Thank you, I will look into it!

I know what you mean, I got my first rejection a few days ago and it stung, but you just gotta keep moving forward and know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. We are gonna make it

Thank you for the motivation! Just gotta keep on swimming

Reactions: 1 users
Been under review for 2 out of the 4 mentioned weeks. Hoping for good news.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

II! Complete 8/2

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have tips for flights/Hotels? and any tips for the interview itself. Thanks!

Anyone have tips for flights/Hotels? and any tips for the interview itself. Thanks!

I stayed at 816 hotel. It's decent. If you don't want to rent a car, they provide a shuttle on the day of the interview. Plus they give you tickets for drinks at the bar. As far as flights, you could be done as early as 130, or as late as 5. You leave when your interview is done. If you have an early flight out, let them know after you book and they will accommodate you as best as possible for an earlier interview slot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users

816 Hotel is great. I think they still have a shuttle that takes you to the school and it's not to far from Q39 bbq which you MUST try.

Interview tips: be yourself, talk with the other interviewees and talk with the admissions staff! Know your secondary essays well and don't forget to read up on ethics cases. Make sure you know where the school is going, what our vision is, what the goals are. If you can bring those up and say how your experiences fit the schools goals, your goals, and also that you brig something unique to the class then you'll be all set. Congrats, good luck, and see you on interview day! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Do they send out complete emails because I don't think I received one? The last email I remember receiving was a receipt for paying the secondary fee.

Do they send out complete emails because I don't think I received one? The last email I remember receiving was a receipt for paying the secondary fee.
They do send out "complete" emails-- I received mine a few days before my invite

I received a "sorry we can't invite you to complete the secondary application" email on Friday... But they sent me a secondary in July and I have been complete since 8/2. I hope they didn't mean to reject me. :(

I received a "sorry we can't invite you to complete the secondary application" email on Friday... But they sent me a secondary in July and I have been complete since 8/2. I hope they didn't mean to reject me. :(

Was it a pre-secondary hold or were those the exact words?

Was it a pre-secondary hold or were those the exact words?
Those were the exact words, but they sent me a secondary on 7/28 and I submitted it on 7/29.

The email:
We have received your application and we want to thank you for your interest in Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCU-COM). Upon reviewing your file we are unable, at this time, to offer you an invitation to complete our secondary application.

I got an email saying "Thank you for applying to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences-College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCU-COM). We are so pleased with your interest in learning more about how KCU-COM can help you fulfill your goal of becoming a physician."
This is just a primary confirmation email right? no decision results intended?

Does anyone who got a II remember what days they were offered? I signed up for a Wednesday but kind of wondering if there was anything closer to a Sunday or Monday so I can go experience a Chiefs game...

Does anyone who got a II remember what days they were offered? I signed up for a Wednesday but kind of wondering if there was anything closer to a Sunday or Monday so I can go experience a Chiefs game...

Mine is scheduled for Tuesday. I think I remember seeing Friday too.

Anyone have an opinion as to whether it would be very low yield for me to finish my app here? Just received the secondary after being verified since last week of June. LizzyM ~69. They stewed on my primary for almost a month and a half and only gave me the secondary after II had begun going out which, to me, indicates low interest. I know that I'll never know unless I am complete, but time and money are short after completing apps for almost 50 schools. TIA

Anyone have an opinion as to whether it would be very low yield for me to finish my app here? Just received the secondary after being verified since last week of June. LizzyM ~69. They stewed on my primary for almost a month and a half and only gave me the secondary after II had begun going out which, to me, indicates low interest. I know that I'll never know unless I am complete, but time and money are short after completing apps for almost 50 schools. TIA

Depends man. If you really want this school you should go for it. You have a higher LizzyM than me and I got an II so it wouldn't be stats that prevented an II for you. I don't want to pry into your financials but if you have applied to a lot of schools you are going to want to save money for also traveling and lodging for interviews. Things to think about. Best of luck.

Depends man. If you really want this school you should go for it. You have a higher LizzyM than me and I got an II so it wouldn't be stats that prevented an II for you. I don't want to pry into your financials but if you have applied to a lot of schools you are going to want to save money for also traveling and lodging for interviews. Things to think about. Best of luck.

I do really like the school, it's one of my top choices. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably throw my hat in.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got denied; pre-secondary :(.

The weird thing is in the letter they mentioned to re-apply when with summer grades if you feel you are more competitive. Has anybody done this before ? Idk how I could reapply through AACOMAS.

Just got denied; pre-secondary :(.

The weird thing is in the letter they mentioned to re-apply when with summer grades if you feel you are more competitive. Has anybody done this before ? Idk how I could reapply through AACOMAS.
Maybe they meant send an update with new transcript?