Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was worried because some of the recommended hotels were $100+/night but I found an AirBnB 10 minutes from the school for $30/night!

Whatttt that's a crazy deal. I should look into AirBnB too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Man none of the schools I applied to have replied to any of my applications. I'm starting to get a bit worried. I really wanted to come here and I sent the secondary a couple of days after it was released =/.
No response > rejection

It's still early (that's what I keep telling myself)! I'm still not even complete, but there's still plenty of hope for us. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 user
No response > rejection

It's still early (that's what I keep telling myself)! I'm still not even complete, but there's still plenty of hope for us. Hang in there!

It's still very early

Members don't see this ad :)
No response > rejection

Yeah you're right. This is my 2nd round of applying so I'm getting anxious lol

Yeah you're right. This is my 2nd round of applying so I'm getting anxious lol
lol this is my first round and I'm anxious so I can't imagine what you're going through

Complete 8/15, post-secondary rejection: 8/22. Bummer was my top 3.

Complete 8/15, post-secondary rejection: 8/22. Bummer was my top 3.
Hmm, I received the complete email on 8/11 and still haven't heard anything yet. Do they send out pre-interview hold emails?

Hmm, I received the complete email on 8/11 and still haven't heard anything yet. Do they send out pre-interview hold emails?

They are probably still deliberating which could mean that you are borderline for an interview. Sure as hell beats a flat out rejection. Stay hopeful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any chance they make exceptions for under-cutoff GPAs before sending secondaries? I received an invitation to complete a secondary but my GPA is under the cutoff (barely)--MCAT is far above and I have the military scholarship already. Just want to make sure it wasn't a mistake before I apply.

Any chance they make exceptions for under-cutoff GPAs before sending secondaries? I received an invitation to complete a secondary but my GPA is under the cutoff (barely)--MCAT is far above and I have the military scholarship already. Just want to make sure it wasn't a mistake before I apply.

It looks like they have been rejecting post secondary those with high MCAT but low GPAs. I'm sure one of the current students could tell you with more certainty. Congratulations on the HPSP.

I'm still in the secondary essays phase of the application and I just had a quick question!

In the following essay prompt, what exactly do they mean by leadership styles?:

"Please describe the environment in which you will be a successful osteopathic medical student. You may wish to include: preferred learning style, the leadership style you best respond to or any other information you deem pertinent."

It looks like they have been rejecting post secondary those with high MCAT but low GPAs. I'm sure one of the current students could tell you with more certainty. Congratulations on the HPSP.

I got an II with a high MCAT and lower GPA.

I'm still in the secondary essays phase of the application and I just had a quick question!

In the following essay prompt, what exactly do they mean by leadership styles?:

"Please describe the environment in which you will be a successful osteopathic medical student. You may wish to include: preferred learning style, the leadership style you best respond to or any other information you deem pertinent."

Do you respond better to more hands off leadership or do you like to be told exactly what to do? i don't think I included any leadership styles in mine.

@member212121 I guess @SSSMDt would be a good resource to talk to.

Do you respond better to more hands off leadership or do you like to be told exactly what to do? i don't think I included any leadership styles in mine.

@member212121 I guess @SSSMDt would be a good resource to talk to.

Ill check what I wrote about in my essay and PM after work today. but that sounds like a good way to answer that question. I think I more just talked about how I need to both stick my nose in the book and compliment with hands on stuff. but ill check after work.

II!! Holy crap this is one of my top 3!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
II !! Complete 8/2

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have not gotten an II from this school. I went back and read my "failure" essay. If I were reading it for the first time, deciding if I wanted to invite the author for an interview, I would probably move on as well. I wonder if the admission committee would let me replace the essay that I submitted with one that details my new greatest failure as being a total failure in writing a failure essay for their school? Wow, three "failures" in one sentence. At least I got that going for me.

Thanks everyone! I was complete 8/2 and my stats are 3.52 cGPA, 3.50 sGPA, and 504.

II! Has anyone already done an interview? Does anyone know KCU-COM's interview style?

I have not gotten an II from this school. I went back and read my "failure" essay. If I were reading it for the first time, deciding if I wanted to invite the author for an interview, I would probably move on as well. I wonder if the admission committee would let me replace the essay that I submitted with one that details my new greatest failure as being a total failure in writing a failure essay for their school? Wow, three "failures" in one sentence. At least I got that going for me.
chin up! thats probably not the only deciding factor and no news is better than a rejection!

Are these II rolling in LIVE?? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY HAVE LOOKED AT MINE YET...?

lol congrats everyone!

Are these II rolling in LIVE?? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY HAVE LOOKED AT MINE YET...?

lol congrats everyone!
Hey at least you've got a secondary. I'm still waiting for mine +pity+

The dead silence is killing me. This is going to be a long cycle

II! Has anyone already done an interview? Does anyone know KCU-COM's interview style?

Closed application (they don't look at your GPA or Mcat) and they usually read your secondary answers. Make sure to study up on ethics cases! That's a big thing here.

So in a closed application interview, do they make the accept/reject decision without ever seeing your stats?

So in a closed application interview, do they make the accept/reject decision without ever seeing your stats?
No I think it's more so they aren't biased during the interview. Once it comes to a decision they will evaluate your app holistically.

The interviewer makes an assessment based only on your secondaries and your conversation. They write up notes on the interview and that is used in conjunction with your other stats for decision making by the committee.

Congrats everyone! My committee letter interview is this week, and it'll be submitted (finally) by next week.. Hoping for some love from here soon after!

I was complete after 8/15. Anybody complete after this date heard back?

Closed application (they don't look at your GPA or Mcat) and they usually read your secondary answers. Make sure to study up on ethics cases! That's a big thing here.

Thanks for the heads up about ethics cases! Are there any specific ones that they normally ask about?

What do you recommend for studying up on ethics cases?

Thanks for the heads up about ethics cases! Are there any specific ones that they normally ask about?
What do you recommend for studying up on ethics cases?

So the cases can vary from anything and everything. I absolutely loved using MedScape Ethics Study (just search that on SDN). This isn't about getting right answer for the question as supposed to just having a well thought out opinion on things that will be important to your every day practice as a physician. For example, theres a HUGE talk about physician assisted suicide right now since Oregon had some a laws passed for it.

There's also the fact that there's increasing awareness about the high suicide and depression rate amongst doctors and medical students. You should have an understanding and opinion on why you think this is the cause and what could be done to change such an issue through the medical training.

Reactions: 4 users
Scheduled my interview for 9/14. Hope to see some of you there!

On the interview feedback here, a lot of people said it was basically pick an ethical dilemma in medicine and describe both sides without pushing your opinion.