Kansas City University (KCUMB-COB) Discussion Thread 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many graduate students went on to attend KCUMB COM following completion of their masters?

• Total voters

andberg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Wanted to have a discussion thread for the Biomedical Sciences Degree at KCUMB for those hoping to enter in the Fall of 2015, or just have questions (I know I have many)

I was accepted for the Fall and would also love to start getting in touch with everyone who is planning on attending.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard there was a pretty big enrollment into the COB program this year and the percentage of people getting into COM has gotten lower.

I have heard there was a pretty big enrollment into the COB program this year and the percentage of people getting into COM has gotten lower.

The recent annual committee report states that the COB has changed their one-track from guaranteed admission to guaranteed interview granted they meet certain requirements and that the percentage drop of COB to COM is due to that change.

Source

Members don't see this ad :)
The recent annual committee report states that the COB has changed their one-track from guaranteed admission to guaranteed interview granted they meet certain requirements and that the percentage drop of COB to COM is due to that change.

Source

I dunno, I talked to a few students and they said it was because of the class size increase. Last year it was like 35 and now they have 60+.

Source

That's from 2011.

This is a message I got from a conversation I had with a current COB student:

Hi there. I am a current one year cob student and plan on matriculating to com in August. We actually have 5 finals next week so the stress level is a little high right now so sorry if it took awhile for me to reply.

Anyway, I personnaly think it is a great program. I was a little shocked at first with the class size as the years past was only around thirty students whereas my class is about seventy five. I think they are expanding to about 100 next year.

The requirements for us to get into the com is a 3.25 or higher in the cob program, an mcat greater than 25 with no less than a 8 in any section, and successful completion of the program which includes a mini thesis seminar and a yearly comprehensive exam. We still have to interview but they basically told us as long as you're not a jackass in it and have the grades and mcat, you're in. They told us they won't deny any of us if we meet their requirement and the com matriculates ~275 students.

People kind of wale on smps but it really is very helpful and am confident it will help with being successful in com. We have an actual cadaver lab for the cob program (limited) which has been extremely useful since we have been doing regional musculoskeletal the last half of this semester including intervation/vascularization which is what you do the first semester of com. I think it really will give you a leg up if you don't get into med school this cycle. If you need it, KCUMB offers a Kaplan mcat prep course as well with zero charge. Fortunately I don't need it but I'd say at least 80% of our class is taking the prep course. I'd suggest getting your mcat above the cob-com requirement before matriculating into cob so you can focus strictly on school. It's a fairly large load and the work really piles on without notice.

Hope this helps and would be glad to answer any other questions about kcumb and or kc in general.

Reactions: 2 users

Hi there. I am a current one year cob student and plan on matriculating to com in August. We actually have 5 finals next week so the stress level is a little high right now so sorry if it took awhile for me to reply.

Anyway, I personnaly think it is a great program. I was a little shocked at first with the class size as the years past was only around thirty students whereas my class is about seventy five. I think they are expanding to about 100 next year.

The requirements for us to get into the com is a 3.25 or higher in the cob program, an mcat greater than 25 with no less than a 8 in any section, and successful completion of the program which includes a mini thesis seminar and a yearly comprehensive exam. We still have to interview but they basically told us as long as you're not a jackass in it and have the grades and mcat, you're in. They told us they won't deny any of us if we meet their requirement and the com matriculates ~275 students.

People kind of wale on smps but it really is very helpful and am confident it will help with being successful in com. We have an actual cadaver lab for the cob program (limited) which has been extremely useful since we have been doing regional musculoskeletal the last half of this semester including intervation/vascularization which is what you do the first semester of com. I think it really will give you a leg up if you don't get into med school this cycle. If you need it, KCUMB offers a Kaplan mcat prep course as well with zero charge. Fortunately I don't need it but I'd say at least 80% of our class is taking the prep course. I'd suggest getting your mcat above the cob-com requirement before matriculating into cob so you can focus strictly on school. It's a fairly large load and the work really piles on without notice.

Hope this helps and would be glad to answer any other questions about kcumb and or kc in general.

Wow, that's really fast expansion. It has almost tripled now.

when did you apply and hear back?

I've called admissions and been told a couple different dates for when I'll hear back about acceptance to the COB. I know they're super busy right now and I'm trying not to harass them, but between this and waiting on some medical schools I'm pretty sure I'm about to break my phone checking my e-mail so much...

when did you apply and hear back?

I've called admissions and been told a couple different dates for when I'll hear back about acceptance to the COB. I know they're super busy right now and I'm trying not to harass them, but between this and waiting on some medical schools I'm pretty sure I'm about to break my phone checking my e-mail so much...

I sent it back a couple months ago, and I really did have to harass them. They kept losing my information (i.e transcripts or my resume) so I had to keep calling to make sure they had received everything so they could process my application. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking. They said they're are 100 spots, so if you pretty good stats I'm sure you'll get in. This is probably the largest post bacc masters program out there.

I sent it back a couple months ago, and I really did have to harass them. They kept losing my information (i.e transcripts or my resume) so I had to keep calling to make sure they had received everything so they could process my application. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking. They said they're are 100 spots, so if you pretty good stats I'm sure you'll get in. This is probably the largest post bacc masters program out there.

My stats are... ehhhhh. Pretty average, which is what makes me so nervous.

Biochemistry major
MCAT: 26
CGPA: 3.6
Sci GPA: 3.5

I have some unique shadowing and clinical experiences, but I'm not sure if those matter as much for SMP applications?

Never thought I would say it, but after being out of college for almost two years I've realized I miss my life of studying (the super-nerd in me is dying).

How long is the Kaplan course/when does it start/end and when do most students take the MCAT?

How long is the Kaplan course/when does it start/end and when do most students take the MCAT?

Kaplan course starts in October I'm told and lasts for 6 weeks. It is a free course offered by the university. From what I've been told you should try and retake it to get an acceptable score before entering the program to try and alleviate any unneeded stress that it'll give.

I just got accepted for the 1 year masters in the fall, does anyone know when the first day is in the fall?? I am trying to figure out when I need to get moved up there for good. Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone apply to COM, interview, but accepted to COB after being invited to apply after getting your interview decision?

I am also doing COB in the fall and would love to know when classes start :)

I'm sorry, but can someone please explain to me what COB is?

College of biomedical sciences, it's a masters program that kcumb offers

And its my understanding they offer medical classes as well as other incentives such as guaranteed interview for medical school next year?

Not guaranteed. You have to meet certain min qualifications.

Hi everyone! I had no idea this thread existed but I was also accepted into KCUMB-COB!

I'll likely be attending if I don't receive other acceptances from medical schools. I had at interview with ATSU the other day and am patiently waiting on their response. Such a tedious process! :bang:

I also got in KCUMB-COB program for August 2015. Admissions staff told me this year, 700 people applied and they are looking into a class size of 100. And it is a guaranteed interview if you meet the minimum requirements (but KCUMB-COM has a big matriculation % from interviews) like andberg mentioned.
Can anyone who is in KCUMB-COB 1-year master's program who also prepared for MCAT using the Kaplan prep course tell me their experience doing both the 1-year master's and MCAT at the same time? Were you able to do well in both your master's and your MCAT? What % of your class who has done this secured an interview with KCUMB-COM?
I am hesitant to attend this program since it is very expensive ($30K!!), especially because my MCAT is the only weakness of my application (ECs, LORs, PS and GPA all above average). Can anyone in my situation give me insight to what to do? Take a gap year to rewrite MCAT myself OR do the 1-year master's as well as MCAT with free Kaplan prep course?

I also got in KCUMB-COB program for August 2015. Admissions staff told me this year, 700 people applied and they are looking into a class size of 100. And it is a guaranteed interview if you meet the minimum requirements (but KCUMB-COM has a big matriculation % from interviews) like andberg mentioned.
Can anyone who is in KCUMB-COB 1-year master's program who also prepared for MCAT using the Kaplan prep course tell me their experience doing both the 1-year master's and MCAT at the same time? Were you able to do well in both your master's and your MCAT? What % of your class who has done this secured an interview with KCUMB-COM?
I am hesitant to attend this program since it is very expensive ($30K!!), especially because my MCAT is the only weakness of my application (ECs, LORs, PS and GPA all above average). Can anyone in my situation give me insight to what to do? Take a gap year to rewrite MCAT myself OR do the 1-year master's as well as MCAT with free Kaplan prep course?

What are your stats?

Just got in... VERY excited about this program!

Reactions: 3 users
Yay! Got accepted for the Masters Program for Fall 2015. Was wondering how long it took for them to send you the link to put down the $500 deposit to secure your spot?

Hey everyone! I'm looking into apartments to live in in the area, and I was wondering if any of you knew anything about Bennington ridge Apartments or Forest Park Apartments?? Or, if you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear those as well! Thank you!

I thought that I read it was a minimum GPA of 3.25 in the program and a 25 MCAT with no lower than 8?
Do you still need an undergrad gpa greater than 3.25 even if you meet those programs?

idk. I have seen schools reject people for the strangest assortment of reasons. It is all a crapshoot.

I talked to admissions at both the COB and COM for KCUMB and I just thought I would let yall know know they've done away with any sort of guarantee and now only do something called "priority consideration" given you meet certain qualifications, which they do not know yet. I will be informing them I will not be attending this program and hopefully it goes to someone who wants it. Do you guys have any recommendations for similar programs that have more concrete linkages with their respective medical schools? I am applying to Midwestern and LECOM as well. Thanks guys!

I talked to admissions at both the COB and COM for KCUMB and I just thought I would let yall know know they've done away with any sort of guarantee and now only do something called "priority consideration" given you meet certain qualifications, which they do not know yet. I will be informing them I will not be attending this program and hopefully it goes to someone who wants it. Do you guys have any recommendations for similar programs that have more concrete linkages with their respective medical schools? I am applying to Midwestern and LECOM as well. Thanks guys!

So just wanted to get some clarification...I was aware that there wasn't necessarily a guarantee, but that the school kept open seats for its masters students until the end of the first semester. If after the first semester you weren't showing good scores and weren't meeting their minimum standards then they gave up your seat for someone else, otherwise you had a seat saved for you. Is this not true anymore. Not sure if this is what you meant by priority consideration.

I'm not sure any COM is going to have a direct linkage for their masters program into the medical school, or at least an explicitly stated one.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the accrediting body for DO schools (COCA) frowns on direct linkages. As such, while these may exist in practice, you will likely to be hard pressed to find a COM that explicitly states a "guaranteed" admission.

That being said, thr COB program has a very good track record for not onku placing its graduates into the COM, but those students who complete the COB tend to do very well in COM

I'm not sure any COM is going to have a direct linkage for their masters program into the medical school, or at least an explicitly stated one.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the accrediting body for DO schools (COCA) frowns on direct linkages. As such, while these may exist in practice, you will likely to be hard pressed to find a COM that explicitly states a "guaranteed" admission.

That being said, thr COB program has a very good track record for not onku placing its graduates into the COM, but those students who complete the COB tend to do very well in COM

A majority of the COM students who were in the COB program are doing pretty well.

The only thing that scares me is the rapid increase in class size. It's not like they're going to save seats for all 100 students.

Yeah I can see schools not directly stating that theres a guaranteed linkage but from the emails I received from admissions it seemed like they have just recently changed their standards and are not sure what they are changing them to.

I sent this less than a week ago:

"I was wondering whether there was still any sort of linkage between your biomedical science program and your college of medicine given you meet certain minimum qualifications in the program? I've been looking around and have heard different things, such as a guaranteed interview. I emailed the medical school and they didn't seem to understand my question. If this is true can you let me know what the minimum qualifications are so I know if this program is right for me? Thank you very much for your time and I would love to hear back from you."

and the admissions office said this:

"We only have a priority consideration into our medical school. We did use to have a guarantee but we no longer offer that. The criteria has not been fully set yet for the consideration."

So obviously they still have some sort of connection although it seems very small and I am hesitant to choose an expensive program like this one with no clear connection set over ones that at least guarantee an interview given you meet certain criteria in their program. Please let me know if you guys are able to find out anything more than this from them.

also heres what the COM said to me:

To apply for the bioscience program you must have at least a 20 on your MCAT and a 3.0 GPA. The qualifications to move on to medical school will be changing. There is no longer any sort of special consideration for masters students. They must apply to the medical school like any other applicant.

I asked the COB about it because I felt like the person from the COM wasnt understanding my questions since I clearly wasnt asking about the qualifications to get into the COB.

A handful of DO schools do have conditional acceptances/strong linkage: VCOM, LECOM, TOURO NY, CA, Nevada, NSU,Western ...

also heres what the COM said to me:

To apply for the bioscience program you must have at least a 20 on your MCAT and a 3.0 GPA. The qualifications to move on to medical school will be changing. There is no longer any sort of special consideration for masters students. They must apply to the medical school like any other applicant.

I asked the COB about it because I felt like the person from the COM wasnt understanding my questions since I clearly wasnt asking about the qualifications to get into the COB.

There's a flyer I saw in the COB lecture room that said 3.25 for Biomed, 3.5 for Bioethics, MCAT 25.

I can't imagine it going any higher.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1425605105.226819.jpg

Guess they've made some changes to their program linkage.

Well looks like theyve cleared up what the criteria is. I was happy to receive that email today as well. Thanks guys! Maybe ill go here after all.

Just to make sure that there is no info about when classes start and financial aid as of now right? I have been bugging them but no return of phone calls and emails from them.
Does anyone know how hard it is to maintain a 3.5 for the first semester? If we will be taking the courses designed for med school then I am not sure whether the 3.5 is attainable?
Lastly, has anyone else be able to find housing yet? I am looking for a roommate as well but really KCUMB has not provided anything for us.

COB Orientation for the class of 2016 will be August 5th -7th and is required. Class begins Monday, August 10th.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1426262619.011574.jpg

does anyone know how hard it is to maintain a 3.5 GPA first semester?

Hello everyone. Does anyone know what day of the week the COB makes their admissions decisions? Just tired of checking my email all the time lol

Has anyone that's accepted recieved an accepted packet in the mail or anything? I'm just waiting on more info

I'm jealous. I want to go here so badly. After you were complete how long did it take to get a decision @mcsqueeze?