Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
stats information.
REQUIRED MINIMUMS:
23 MCAT (no less than a 7 in any one subject)
3.25 Science GPA
3.25 Overall/Cumulative GPA

2016 Class Profile:
Number in Class: 255
MCAT Average: 25.9
MCAT Range: 21-33
Science GPA Average: 3.53
Cumulative GPA Average: 3.60

Hello everyone,

I am willing to answer any questions that you may have about the KCUMB-COM application process or general AACOMAS questions. I have been accepted to the KCUMB-COM Class of 2017! A good place to start searching for information is threads from years past, because it will give you a heads up as to what to look forward to ahead of time. Otherwise, best of luck and hope to see you all in KC!

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed Biochemistry my senior year, and currently have plans to retake it January of 2014. I wish to take it online through Colorado State University. Is anyone aware if KCUMB takes online pre-reqs?

Thanks!

Wow! Didn't realize KCUMB's GPA averages were so high.

Applying with 3.48/31.

From previous students, yes, KCUMB accepts online preq credit, but just contact the office of admissions at KCUMB to make sure!:)

Applying with 3.48/31.

But an MCAT like that will more that offset a GPA lower than their average (not that I'd worry about 3.48 too much)

I failed Biochemistry my senior year, and currently have plans to retake it January of 2014. I wish to take it online through Colorado State University. Is anyone aware if KCUMB takes online pre-reqs?

Thanks!

Yes, they do.

Applying with 3.48/31.

Don't sweat it, you are fine. FWIW the averages are just that, averages, there are plenty of students with much lower GPA's and MCAT's and plenty with much higher. Your MCAT is great so you would be pretty competitive.

Also the required minimums are not hard set, they make exceptions so if you are borderline don't give up hope.

I'm very excited to apply here!

3.76 cgpa
3.70 sgpa
24 MCAT (10/8/6)

Average to possibly above average ECs

Good luck to the rest of you guys :)

Last edited:
I was accepted with 3.0 sgpa and 3.3cgpa. My mcat was 33 though so they def overlooked my horrifying gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I live in Kansas City, do you think admins would give me a better chance of acceptance? My stats are good thus far, I'm just wondering if this happens.

DO NOT avoid applying here because one of your gpas is sub 3.25. They do not auto screen that strictly. Plenty of people will report similar experiences.

Last year I got in with a 3.4/3.15/29. My lor was from a grad and alumni board member. Don't sweat a low number here and there. Apply early and write a good secondary. surprised that the mcat avg is that low, honestly. Cool school but I will be attending elsewhere.

DO NOT avoid applying here because one of your gpas is sub 3.25. They do not auto screen that strictly. Plenty of people will report similar experiences.

Last year I got in with a 3.4/3.15/29. My lor was from a grad and alumni board member. Don't sweat a low number here and there. Apply early and write a good secondary. surprised that the mcat avg is that low, honestly. Cool school but I will be attending elsewhere.

If I may ask, where? and why did you choose that school?

Because I live in Kansas City, do you think admins would give me a better chance of acceptance? My stats are good thus far, I'm just wondering if this happens.

Being local is always a good thing but overall KCUMB is much less regionally biased than other schools. My class has students from pretty much all over the country. Obviously a lot of people are from the midwest too but unlike many D.O. schools you don't move to the top of a special list because you live here.

If you can use being local to your advantage by finding a KCUMB alum to shadow and write you a recommendation.

Good luck!

Being local is always a good thing but overall KCUMB is much less regionally biased than other schools. My class has students from pretty much all over the country. Obviously a lot of people are from the midwest too but unlike many D.O. schools you don't move to the top of a special list because you live here.

If you can use being local to your advantage by finding a KCUMB alum to shadow and write you a recommendation.

Good luck!

Excellent advice. My do lor was from a kcumb grad and I would wager that may have been rather significant in my getting an interview (rate limiting step here practically). My stats were not super competitive.

I was out of state, didn't have a DO letter and had a quite average MCAT and I was accepted to KCUMB. My strength was the personal statements and interview.

You can do it kids.

I was out of state, didn't have a DO letter and had a quite average MCAT and I was accepted to KCUMB. My strength was the personal statements and interview.

You can do it kids.

Thanks, but what freaks me out is when I read about people in the other thread that were rejected with really solid stats, ECs, ect. I don't want to be one of those people going "wtf why was I rejected?"

Thanks, but what freaks me out is when I read about people in the other thread that were rejected with really solid stats, ECs, ect. I don't want to be one of those people going "wtf why was I rejected?"

I think this goes to show that KCUMB really stresses the importance of certain "traditional" characteristics and traits held in high regard by the school, faculty, osteopathic medicine, students. Do your research on the school (the website was recently revamped and is FILLED with good information) and show them you are a good match.

It really is a great school, good luck to you!

Hey guys, ill def be frequenting this thread throughout the year! that being said my situation is a bit different than most of you guys.

some background bout me: im a student at rockhurst university (kansas city) and im participating in their 3 (undergrad) +4 mba/do program they have with kcumb.
Ive already done an interview with kcumb, gotten accepted, and now am entering my 3rd and final year of undergrad. Also, no mcat is required for admission (though you can still take one if you want to, which is what ill be doing) I have to go to kcumb during an interview day and get a tour of the school so maybe ill see someone from here there!

Stats if you don't mind sharing.

Did you have stellar ECs? There had to be a reason for you to have gotten the interview in the first place.

I had a 25P (definition of average)/ 3.8 cgpa/ 3.6 sgpa.

I don't think my ECs were crazy. At the time of the interview, I was in the process of completing 2 degrees (Biology and Classical Studies), had around 100 shadow hours, around 250 service hours, multiple (non officer) positions in my Fraternity, worked with a university health advisory council, and went through an Honors program and mentored. (I did NOT do a medical mission and save children in Africa.)

I do have a strong writing background, thanks to my job, and had some unique experiences. (My interviewers were surprised that I helped write my undergrad's University Creed.)

I was fortunate to have three good LORs and an excellent fourth, from my Classics Director of Undergrad Studies who was my favorite professor and mentor; I was humbled by his words. (LORs can work magic.)

I think the key is that I presented myself as a well rounded applicant. I like the balance between science and humanities and keyed in on the philosophy of the holistic approach in my primary statement. In the secondary, I emphasized why I liked KCUMB specifically, especially things that they offered that other DO programs do not, such as the Masters of Arts in Bioethics.

I also think I applied at the right time: They extended a Secondary in December (yes, I submitted later) and I turned it in within a week. I must have been really lucky, because 2 days later (right before the winter break) I was offered an interview.

For all the stat hounds- I'm just finishing my first year at KCUMB. As I said before KCUMB is a bit different than other schools, they don't abide by their cutoffs, they don't push you towards primary care, and they accept people from all over...I'd never been within a 1,000 miles of KC before I came here. Anyway its a great place, I loved it right away on interview day and I'm still really happy here even though I have exams for the next two weeks.

cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.98 (all my science pre reqs were taken as a post bacc)
MCAT: 24O
Other: ~1200hrs as a volunteer EMT, shadowed 2 docs for ~25hrs total, began volunteering in a free clinic starting right around the time of my interview so it probably didn't help me. LOR's were probably good but nothing to write home about as they were all written by profs/supervisors who knew me for a year or so in passing. If I had to guess I would say that I was helped by a strong personal statement, good interview skills, and luck.

Good luck guys, you can do it too.

KCUMB accepts like 70-80+% of the people who they interview depending on the year, which is HUGE...alot of other schools I interviewed at accepted 20-30%

My guess is that the students who were rejected probably had a bad interview. If they went to the trouble of bringing you here its because they believe you are academically sound and look like a good fit on paper. All the interview does is confirm that you're the person they think you are, that you can hold a conversation, that there is more to you than just being a student. Once you get an interview invite your MCAT, GPA, etc don't matter anymore, you've passed that portion of the test. For many people I think nerves get the best of them.

Last edited:
This school is starting to sound more and more intriguing. Can anyone give insight into the student body atmosphere and area?

KCUMB accepts like 70-80+% of the people who they interview depending on the year, which is HUGE...alot of other schools I interviewed at accepted 20-30%

My guess is that the students who were rejected probably had a bad interview. If they went to the trouble of bringing you here its because they believe you are academically sound and look like a good fit on paper. All the interview does is confirm that you're the person they think you are, that you can hold a conversation, that there is more to you than just being a student. Once you get an interview invite your MCAT, GPA, etc don't matter anymore, you've passed that portion of the test. For many people I think nerves get the best of them.

I'm lucky that I went in with this attitude; I was not cocky, but I was confident. I had nothing to hide and wasn't trying to reach to prove anything. I just acted like myself, made some friends, and didn't try to show anyone up.

My interview environment was comfortable: started out normal, had some serious questions in the middle, and I left the room talking about basketball and how I would never be a Mizzou or KU fan! :p

That's why I chose KCUMB: I fit and it felt right.

This school is starting to sound more and more intriguing. Can anyone give insight into the student body atmosphere and area?

The student body is great, people are generally supportive and very helpful. 2nd years volunteer to be assigned as "big brothers/sisters" to the first years to help guide them and get adjusted- this usually includes giving study and life advice, sharing notes/study guides/books from their first year. 2nd years also act as TA's and tutors for OCS, Path and Anatomy which is huge because these are three areas that tend to bite students in the ass first year. A second year even volunteered to hold immunology tutoring sessions for us this year in our first section since it was a ton of material and most of us had never touched on it in undergrad.

If you are struggling those in your class are very supportive, people share study guides and if you are a group studier it is easy to find people to review with. The Musculoskeletal section anatomy practical was our first, largest, and hardest practical of the year so there were a bunch of people who had to remediate in the week following it. A bunch of people who passed the first time voluntarily came in during their break to help their classmates prepare for the remediation exam. No don't get me wrong, this is still med school and still competitive, but people here aren't going to stab you in the back and walk over your body just to get ahead.

There are lots of clubs, trips, and SGA things to be involved in if that is your bag. Many people are involved in a lot of activities but there are also many students who are married with families who just do their thing on campus and then head home. There is really no mold you need to fit into.

KC is an awesome little city, big enough to have a city feel, but small enough that you don't feel like you're being lost in the crowd. Campus is about 3 minutes from downtown and the river market in a poorer residential area that does have pretty high crime. You don't need to worry though as KCUMB is kind of an oasis on Independence Ave, the campus is very well maintained, modern, and has awesome security 24/7, including both our private armed security and KCMO PD. They patrol in cars and on bikes and all of the parking lots are video monitored so someone always has your back. If you are studying late and aren't comfortable walking to your car security is happy to come walk with you but it really isn't necessary because chances are there is someone watching whether you realize it or not.

If there is anything else you would like to know that I didn't address feel free to ask!

Last edited:
The student body is great, people are generally supportive and very helpful. 2nd years volunteer to be assigned as "big brothers/sisters" to the first years to help guide them and get adjusted- this usually includes giving study and life advice, sharing notes/study guides/books from their first year. 2nd years also act as TA's and tutors for OCS, Path and Anatomy which is huge because these are three areas that tend to bite students in the ass first year. A second year even volunteered to hold immunology tutoring sessions for us this year in our first section since it was a ton of material and most of us had never touched on it in undergrad.

If you are struggling those in your class are very supportive, people share study guides and if you are a group studier it is easy to find people to review with. The Musculoskeletal section anatomy practical was our first, largest, and hardest practical of the year so there were a bunch of people who had to remediate in the week following it. A bunch of people who passed the first time voluntarily came in during their break to help their classmates prepare for the remediation exam. No don't get me wrong, this is still med school and still competitive, but people here aren't going to stab you in the back and walk over your body just to get ahead.

There are lots of clubs, trips, and SGA things to be involved in if that is your bag. Many people are involved in a lot of activities but there are also many students who are married with families who just do their thing on campus and then head home. There is really no mold you need to fit into.

KC is an awesome little city, big enough to have a city feel, but small enough that you don't feel like you're being lost in the crowd. Campus is about 3 minutes from downtown and the river market in a poorer residential area that does have pretty high crime. You don't need to worry though as KCUMB is kind of an oasis on Independence Ave, the campus is very well maintained, modern, and has awesome security 24/7, including both our private armed security and KCMO PD. They patrol in cars and on bikes and all of the parking lots are video monitored so someone always has your back. If you are studying late and aren't comfortable walking to your car security is happy to come walk with you but it really isn't necessary because chances are there is someone watching whether you realize it or not.

If there is anything else you would like to know that I didn't address feel free to ask!
(If you live there) How are century towers? and are there any other decent places to live that are semi-close to campus?

(If you live there) How are century towers? and are there any other decent places to live that are semi-close to campus?

I don't live at CT but I can give some insight. Roughly 40% of the class lives there first year as it is directly across the street from campus. Its dog friendly (KCUMB has a community garden and dog park next to it), cheap, and has a gym, common areas, parking etc. Its basically a mid level apt building with a dorm like feel to it. Perfect if you like to be close to school and want to be around your fellow students. The downsides are that there isn't much you can walk to around campus, and you're around med students 24/7 haha. A lot of students live there first year to meet people and then move somewhere nicer. If you interview here you will have an opportunity to tour CT and get rental info.

The rest of the class is pretty spread out, people live anywhere from 3 mins to 1 hour away from campus. River Market and Downtown KC have a lot of options and both are around 5mins from campus. They also offer plenty of stuff in walking distance, places to run, etc. Many of the buildings are nice and have great amenities. There is also Westport (10 minutes from campus) with lots of bars, restaurants, etc, and The Plaza (15 minutes from campus) which is a modern, hip are with lots of shops, bars, restaurants. Most of the River Market/Downtown/Plaza places are more money than CT but you get what you pay for with amenities like covered parking, pool, gym, etc.

If city living isn't your thing there are plenty of apartment complexes out in the suburbs that have decent amenities, are a bit quieter, and are only 10-20 minutes from campus. Some students also choose to buy or rent houses just outside the city, might be a good option if you have a family and intend to stay in KC for rotations and beyond.

Last edited:
I don't live at CT but I can give some insight. Roughly 40% of the class lives there first year as it is directly across the street from campus. Its dog friendly (KCUMB has a community garden and dog park next to it), cheap, and has a gym, common areas, parking etc. Its basically a mid level apt building with a dorm like feel to it. Perfect if you like to be close to school and want to be around your fellow students. The downsides are that there isn't much you can walk to around campus, and you're around med students 24/7 haha. A lot of students live there first year to meet people and then move somewhere nicer. If you interview here you will have an opportunity to tour CT and get rental info.

The rest of the class is pretty spread out, people live anywhere from 3 mins to 1 hour away from campus. River Market and Downtown KC have a lot of options and both are around 5mins from campus. They also offer plenty of stuff in walking distance, places to run, etc. Many of the buildings are nice and have great amenities. There is also Westport (10 minutes from campus) with lots of bars, restaurants, etc, and The Plaza (15 minutes from campus) which is a modern, hip are with lots of shops, bars, restaurants. Most of the River Market/Downtown/Plaza places are more money than CT but you get what you pay for with amenities like covered parking, pool, gym, etc.

If city living isn't your thing there are plenty of apartment complexes out in the suburbs that have decent amenities, are a bit quieter, and are only 10-20 minutes from campus. Some students also choose to buy or rent houses just outside the city, might be a good option if you have a family and intend to stay in KC for rotations and beyond.

Awesome, thank you for the info. I'm married, and family in the next couple years is in the cards, so a house seems like a good idea, but I'll have to see what seems like a good fit. I should admit I may be getting ahead of myself since I haven't even applied there yet haha.

Awesome, thank you for the info. I'm married, and family in the next couple years is in the cards, so a house seems like a good idea, but I'll have to see what seems like a good fit. I should admit I may be getting ahead of myself since I haven't even applied there yet haha.

If you apply and come interview I believe they still give you a realtor packet so you can get some ideas on where to live, you will also have plenty of opportunity to get more info from current students. Good luck with the apps!

Do you mind sharing your stats?

3.1-3.2sgpa/3.35-3.45cgpa/29. Severe upward grade trend.

Seriously, you all have a shot. Don't worry reading about who got rejected with what stats and ec's. You can't change your stats now anyways. Apply early and ride it out.

I didn't major in any of the major sciences and didn't take
genetics or any form of it. Is there any way to still apply without that pre-req?

I didn't major in any of the major sciences and didn't take
genetics or any form of it. Is there any way to still apply without that pre-req?

Yes you can apply without it, if you are accepted you would need to take it prior to matriculating. A lot of people take an online genetics course the summer before first year. I just did mine online with a local community college and they were fine with that.

Would that have to be mentioned that it will be taken in the future then in some way in the application?

Would that have to be mentioned that it will be taken in the future then in some way in the application?

I don't think I mentioned it on the app, but if you can then go ahead. I actually got an email from admissions saying I was missing the genetics requirement and asking if I would like to go forward with my application. I emailed them back right away and said yes, and that I intended to fulfill it if it prior to matriculation if I was accepted. I got an interview invite about 5 minutes after I responded so thank god I didn't go with my first thought which was to just pull my app lol.

You can also note that you will take it in the future via the AACOMAS course list.

You can also note that you will take it in the future via the AACOMAS course list.

This. I made sure to include my future courses, since I won't have a fourth biology course (third non-genetics course) until Spring 2014.

got my mcat score today of 24 (10/8/6), although I am retaking in Aug. I hope this doesn't destroy my chances of getting into this school. Do they have exceptions for their 7 minimum?

got my mcat score today of 24 (10/8/6), although I am retaking in Aug. I hope this doesn't destroy my chances of getting into this school. Do they have exceptions for their 7 minimum?

No the minimum's aren't followed blindly, they will look at the whole application. That said if you are retaking they will probably put it aside until they get your new scores.

No the minimum's aren't followed blindly, they will look at the whole application. That said if you are retaking they will probably put it aside until they get your new scores.

So with my score, do you think they would still send me a secondary? I honestly wouldn't expect to get much further than that before I retake, I just don't want to be considered a late applicant just because they pushed my app aside.

So with my score, do you think they would still send me a secondary? I honestly wouldn't expect to get much further than that before I retake, I just don't want to be considered a late applicant just because they pushed my app aside.

I'm not sure what the protocol is when waiting on a retake, they may just send you one or they might consider your app incomplete until the new scores come in.

Either way relax, if you take it in August you will have your score in September and your apps will go live if you have already taken care of everything else. KCUMB usually doesn't fill its class until after the last interviews in March so you have tons of time. In 2011 when I applied I submitted my primary in mid November, secondary in Mid November, and interviewed in Mid February at which point admissions told me the class was only half full.

The only place a September/October application is late is on SDN.

I did not take Biochem or Genetics in undergrad, only in grad school, so I did not apply figuring I did not meet their requirements. Unsure if they accepted grad courses, but other schools I contacted did not (DMU). Sounds like a cool program though!

I did not take Biochem or Genetics in undergrad, only in grad school, so I did not apply figuring I did not meet their requirements. Unsure if they accepted grad courses, but other schools I contacted did not (DMU). Sounds like a cool program though!

The required coursework only says a certain number of semester hours for each course. I'm curious as to how you interpreted this to mean undergraduate only.