Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not a big deal if DO letter is not required.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
Hoping to get more specific advise on people who know the application process. I take the MCAT on June 5 and expect to get 28-29 (practice tests), so I suppose that sets me up for a primary in July. I have a 3.8 cGPA, 3.85 science. I think these stats are fine for KCUMB, but I have had trouble finding a DO to shadow (let alone write me a rec letter). All of my connections are MD, and at this point I think forging a relationship with a DO would be rushed. How does a lack of DO shadowing and/or lack of DO rec letter affect application if all other requirements are good? Anyone accepted with a similar shortcoming?

My rec letter was from an MD. I did shadow a DO also though and have observed during OMM class for DO students. I think if you demonstrate a good understanding of osteopathic medicine and convey a genuine interest, you'll be fine with an MD letter.

Hi all,
Hoping to get more specific advise on people who know the application process. I take the MCAT on June 5 and expect to get 28-29 (practice tests), so I suppose that sets me up for a primary in July. I have a 3.8 cGPA, 3.85 science. I think these stats are fine for KCUMB, but I have had trouble finding a DO to shadow (let alone write me a rec letter). All of my connections are MD, and at this point I think forging a relationship with a DO would be rushed. How does a lack of DO shadowing and/or lack of DO rec letter affect application if all other requirements are good? Anyone accepted with a similar shortcoming?

I agree with Ad4444.

I received an interview, but was later wait listed without a D.O. letter. I did make an effort to shadow D.O.s afterward, which may have helped me. I used the AOA's iLearn mentoring program. Look it up. I received a few hits on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also waitlisted initially, but when I asked admissions, they said it was because my stats were a bit lower than what they were averaging at the time. No mention of not having a DO letter. You won't have to worry about falling below on stats from what you said though.

Hi all,

I never shadowed a DO, I got accepted with a 28 and an embarrassingly low sGPA (Doesn't matter anymore! Hooray!). The rest of my app was strong with leadership, volunteer experience, extra curriculars, etc... But I wouldn't worry much about not having a DO letter. If you go get a 28/29, you should be well within reasonable expectations of getting an acceptance.

FYI - Not trying to freak you out about the MCAT, (It isn't worth a freak out, anyway) but practice tests are not necessarily accurate indicators of actual test performance. They help for sure, but don't just immediately assume you'll score a 29 because its what you've averaged on the last 2 or 3 practice tests, reality could be for the better or worse.

Reactions: 1 user
So is there a catch to contacting Michelle Sparks for help? Or is she just a nice person who wants to help us. :)

[QUOTE pigcat, post: 15255700, member: 493855"chelle Sparks for help? Or just a nice person who wants to help us. :)[/QUOTE]
There is no catch she is a very nice lady just to help students. You should definitely contact her.

Who is she??

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I believe she is a local realtor/agent. She helps KCUMB students find housing and apartments and is supposed to be very knowledgeable. She answered all the questions we had about certain neighborhoods at the visit day. If you are still looking for housing or just have questions about what areas to live in or avoid she's a great resource.

So is there a catch to contacting Michelle Sparks for help? Or is she just a nice person who wants to help us. :)

There's no catch. I took a list of 7-8 apartments I liked and gave them to her. She helped weed out any that would have restrictions we didn't meet and provided alternatives. She made an amazing schedule where I got to see them all in 2 days.

If she helps you find a place you like it would be a nice thing to list her as your referral. I guess some people would consider that as a "catch".

What do the winter break months look like for first year students? Is it typically filled with volunteering, shadowing, and research?

Lovin that profile pic apr27...

Thanks. I'm sad he put the guns away, but it was done out of respect. I wish they were stomping on the Heat right now/making it tough for them. The mere thought of Miami three-peating sickens me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off the waitlist today!!!!! I'm so excited because this is my first choice!!!!! However, does any one know what might be available as far as housing options?

Reactions: 4 users
I just got off the waitlist today!!!!! I'm so excited because this is my first choice!!!!! However, does any one know what might be available as far as housing options?

I've been looking for places if you're interested in having a roommate.

I never shadowed a DO, I got accepted with a 28 and an embarrassingly low sGPA (Doesn't matter anymore! Hooray!). The rest of my app was strong with leadership, volunteer experience, extra curriculars, etc... But I wouldn't worry much about not having a DO letter. If you go get a 28/29, you should be well within reasonable expectations of getting an acceptance.

FYI - Not trying to freak you out about the MCAT, (It isn't worth a freak out, anyway) but practice tests are not necessarily accurate indicators of actual test performance. They help for sure, but don't just immediately assume you'll score a 29 because its what you've averaged on the last 2 or 3 practice tests, reality could be for the better or worse.

Thanks for the input! I felt much better going in to the MCAT than while preparing. I took today, my projected score was a pretty modest/reasonable estimate so we will see.

I am so excited....only 9 days left at my oh so boring job!!
and only 49 days til orientation begins!!
I canNOT wait!

Reactions: 2 users
FYI: New information on orientation week posted on the matriculation page. Changes this year include white coat ceremony in the morning, and no outside physician to coat students
It's getting close y'all! It will be here before we know it!

No outside physicians? Why?

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
Not sure. The letter says the associate deans will coat all students. There is also a admin member on the fb page that confirmed it. You might want to ask her directly on fb

What do the winter break months look like for first year students? Is it typically filled with volunteering, shadowing, and research?
I just finished my first year at KCUMB and I can tell you that the vast majority of my class hung out and didn't do much over winter break. Sleep, eat, drink, work out or do whatever you want to do to come back refreshed in January because you'll hit the ground running. The same goes for the summer between year 1 and 2. Some are doing research and some are stuck in KC taking classes for their masters courses, but most are traveling and enjoying themselves. We have been asked to get a head start on neuro but besides that and a little bit of light board studying, nothing but playtime. You guys will be in school through June though, so I expect you'll want to maximize blowing off steam during your 4-5 week summer.

I just finished my first year at KCUMB and I can tell you that the vast majority of my class hung out and didn't do much over winter break. Sleep, eat, drink, work out or do whatever you want to do to come back refreshed in January because you'll hit the ground running. The same goes for the summer between year 1 and 2. Some are doing research and some are stuck in KC taking classes for their masters courses, but most are traveling and enjoying themselves. We have been asked to get a head start on neuro but besides that and a little bit of light board studying, nothing but playtime. You guys will be in school through June though, so I expect you'll want to maximize blowing off steam during your 4-5 week summer.

Is there a particular reason why there will only be 4-5 weeks off during the summer? It seems awfully short. Will this lead to a longer summer following 2nd year which would allow more step 1 studying?

It sounds like everyone pretty much just hangs out during all the breaks then go home or do research in the summer. When do people usually get their elective credits done?

It sounds like everyone pretty much just hangs out during all the breaks then go home or do research in the summer. When do people usually get their elective credits done?
Electives can be completed during the breaks and still feel like you are "hanging out." They can also be done during the year via some classes or research. Also, dual degree students only have to complete 2 electives instead of 4.

So I remember they were doing expansion at KCUMB. But do you guys know how that will translate to class size increases?

Is there a particular reason why there will only be 4-5 weeks off during the summer? It seems awfully short. Will this lead to a longer summer following 2nd year which would allow more step 1 studying?

They added more curriculum for you guys, so your school year will just be longer. It mostly comes from a new medical informatics section that will teach you guys how to use an EMR system, from what they have told us. They haven't shared what your dates will be for second year, but our new dean is all about time off to adequately prepare for boards so I imagine you'll be getting out around the same time as we will this year which is mid-may.

Serenade: KCUMB is shooting to have a class of around 270-280 and doesn't plan on going above that number in the near future. We started with 271.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a two bedroom apartment at Century Towers and I am looking for a roommate if anyone is interested - I am a 28yr old male. PM me if you're interested!

I have a two bedroom apartment at Century Towers and I am looking for a roommate if anyone is interested - I am a 28yr old male. PM me if you're interested!
Are you connected on the fb group page? There is currently someone on that page looking for a roommate, and from time to time I see this type of announcement there

So I remember they were doing expansion at KCUMB. But do you guys know how that will translate to class size increases?

They're building lecture halls with over 300 seats for a reason. They'll keep increasing class size till AOA stops them.

anyone know what atm machine is in the school cafeteria?

Speaking of the cafeteria, where do students eat at KCUMB? :p It seemed like it could only seat 50 or so people from what I remember? Do people bring their own lunch or go home over the hour?

Speaking of the cafeteria, where do students eat at KCUMB? :p It seemed like it could only seat 50 or so people from what I remember? Do people bring their own lunch or go home over the hour?

Many students stay on campus. I live in CT so my floor mates and I will run home for lunch/let the dog out. The cafeteria surprisingly isn't actually that crowded because first/second year lunches rarely coincide and lots of people bring their lunch, go home, or hit up the (awesome) pho restaurant across the street. Also, many just grab lunch in the cafeteria and take it back to the lecture room to chill with friends or study until the next lecture or lab. It's all up to personal preference.

They're building lecture halls with over 300 seats for a reason. They'll keep increasing class size till AOA stops them.

I doubt the 300 seats are all for COM students. It must be a mix with the biomedical students.

I don't understand how the class size has gone up to 270?

From what I remember COCA limits class sizes to 250. That is why AZCOM is at 250 right now.

I meant you can account for extra students due to attrition or maybe a special affiliate program but 270 is insane.

I doubt the 300 seats are all for COM students. It must be a mix with the biomedical students.

I don't understand how the class size has gone up to 270?

From what I remember COCA limits class sizes to 250. That is why AZCOM is at 250 right now.

I meant you can account for extra students due to attrition or maybe a special affiliate program but 270 is insane.

You're right that the legal class size limit is 250, but apparently there's some loophole that makes it possible for KCUMB to graduate a class of over 250 students. Keep in mind also that though we are starting with 271, by the end of year 1 we were down to 261 and that number is only going to keep decreasing over the next 3 years.

The college of biosciences and bioethics don't have more than 30 students combined and we have never had any combined classes so I don't think that's why the classrooms are so large. They're trying to set up joint classes with other universities and have guest students come to KCUMB for some lectures which is why the rooms were made to accommodate so many students.

It is insane, as 250 already is way too many. AOA needs to do their job at some point. KCUMB doesn't have the staff or clinical facilities to handle 250, can't imagine what 300+ will be like.

I heard on my interview day from one of the current students that KCUMB is planning to start a nursing school or something. She said it is the reason for these expansions with such large classrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard on my interview day from one of the current students that KCUMB is planning to start a nursing school or something. She said it is the reason for these expansions with such large classrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does that really make sense to you? Nursing classes are much different than medical school classes. They would very rarely need to be in the same room at the same time... If that we're even true

. Keep in mind also that though we are starting with 271, by the end of year 1 we were down to 261 and that number is only going to keep decreasing over the next 3 years.

Losing that many students to grades each year? That's around 4% attrition, which seems higher than average? Surely, there isn't that many each year afterwards.....