Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To apply this year, or not apply. That is the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
To apply this year, or not apply. That is the question.
Depends on your stats. There is a huge upward trend and focus on high mcat scores with the new dean. If you don't have a 7 in every category of the mcat and your total isn't above 24. Don't apply
If you don't have a 3.25 gpa, don't apply (realistically you will need closer to a 3.5)
Make sure you have volunteered and done 80 hours of shadowing

If you have those covered, apply and good luck! Hope to see you on campus in a year.

Depends on your stats. There is a huge upward trend and focus on high mcat scores with the new dean. If you don't have a 7 in every category of the mcat and your total isn't above 24. Don't apply
If you don't have a 3.25 gpa, don't apply (realistically you will need closer to a 3.5)

If you have those covered, apply and good luck! Hope to see you on campus in a year.

I have raised my stats the past two years to a 3.45/3.35 so I am probably alright in that category as well as EC's. My EC's are pretty simple. I have stayed volunteering at the same place for the past two years because I really enjoy it. Need to get some more shadowing in but have been too busy lately. I really want to shoot for KU - Wichita because I am from this area in Kansas. I am thinking about only applying to KU this year, and then applying to multiple places including KCUMB next year if I would not get in to KU. MCAT scheduled for mid-August.

I really hope this school takes away mandatory attendance...

People. KCUMB attendance is not bad. You can miss 7 sign ins without any penalty, and there's only one a day, so around 28 lectures if you want. That is about 25% of class per section. You really want to miss more than a quarter of classes and still expect to pass med school? The Dean is a HUGE fan of attendance and always states that GPA and attendance rates are directly proportional. I'd be surprised if they go away.

Sometimes, you have to play by rules you don't like. And more often times, you will find loopholes if you need them. This is preparation for the professional world.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone applying. Just some advice, if you don't get a secondary within 3-4 weeks of sending in your primary it might be a good idea to email or call them.

I know a handful of people who never got an email for the secondary until they emailed only to find out they should have gotten one.

What if you only have 2 of the above? I have the volunteering and shadowing. I'm averaging 36's on AAMC tests but have a 3.1 gpa (both Science and Cumulative). That GPA includes a 3.8 at an SMP. Do you think it's worth it to apply?

The Dean is a HUGE fan of attendance and always states that GPA and attendance rates are directly proportional. I'd be surprised if they go away.

The new dean feels this way? That is VERY different from everything I have heard.

What if you only have 2 of the above? I have the volunteering and shadowing. I'm averaging 36's on AAMC tests but have a 3.1 gpa (both Science and Cumulative). That GPA includes a 3.8 at an SMP. Do you think it's worth it to apply?
I think they are really strict on this and you need to meet all 3 criteria. I had 2/3 but did not receive a secondary. Keep your money unless you want to roll the dice and see what they do.

Dang, I got a 6 in VR (26 total) of my MCAT and a s3.20 GPA but a c3.4 GPA. I guess I am out. Looked like an awesome school and program!

3.8c/3.84s... But I'm not feeling confident about the MCAT. I will get 24 at least (unless I choke.....) but Physical Sciences I have been sucking. Above average involvement but subpar community service in medical field (mostly tutoring disadvantaged kids)... Regardless, love this school and excited for the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you score a 36 mcat I think you can probably get at least a secondary for every school. They do have a sub committee that looks at special applications, maybe they will replace your undergraduate gpa with your SMP. If you are interested in KCUMB and you really do score a 36, I say go for it. Can't hurt.

I got a 24 (8,8,8), do you think that will be too close to cut it?

In.
Graduated May 2013
cGPA - 3.81
MCAT - 26R (7PS/9VR/10B)
~140 Shadowing hours

Just quit my miserable job to focus on getting into medical school. Yay mooching off parents!

In.
Graduated May 2013
cGPA - 3.81
MCAT - 26R (7PS/9VR/10B)
~140 Shadowing hours

Just quit my miserable job to focus on getting into medical school. Yay mooching off parents!
Congrats! Do you have any info on the secondary?

80 hours of shadowing? I have both shadowing and volunteering, >80 hours of volunteering but <80 hours of shadowing :/
Is it sill worth it to apply?

cGPA: 3.7 sGPA: 3.5 MCAT: 31

Congrats! Do you have any info on the secondary?
Oh. By "In" I thought that's how people meant that they were throwing their application in for the cycle. I haven't been accepted sadly lol. Graduated undergrad w/ the 3.81. I suppose it was kinda confusing lol

Oh. By "In" I thought that's how people meant that they were throwing their application in for the cycle. I haven't been accepted sadly lol. Graduated undergrad w/ the 3.81. I suppose it was kinda confusing lol
I guess it was pretty stupid on my part haha

How much of a hard requirement is that "above 7" for each subsection? Is it a computerized pre screen?

Last year it wasn't a hard requirement. I had a 7 in PS and got accepted so I don't think you'll be auto-screened out. Their process is a little slower in terms of getting the secondary because they do a heavier pre-screen than most schools, but that process doesn't seem to be based solely on mcat scores.

Reactions: 1 users
How much of a hard requirement is that "above 7" for each subsection? Is it a computerized pre screen?

It's not above 7 .... It's a 7 or above requirement. So you can have a 7 but nothing below that in a sub-section.

Last year it wasn't a hard requirement. I had a 7 in PS and got accepted so I don't think you'll be auto-screened out. Their process is a little slower in terms of getting the secondary because they do a heavier pre-screen than most schools, but that process doesn't seem to be based solely on mcat scores.

Thanks! Have a 6 on VR but 8 PS, 12 BS and 3.63 GPA (3.59 science, 3.7 non science) so good to know it's not an auto screen by stats.

Thank you for sharing. Gives me hope that that stupid section won't bring me down too badly.

Any regional preference?
Yes. Missouri and Kansas.

Also, thought I would let everyone know that the attendance policy has been changed. General lecture is no longer required (excluding guest lectures and interactive lectures), but if attendance begins to dip apparently they wont post video recordings. I'm not a fan of relying on other students showing up to class to get my lectures, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure. The class of 2017 represents 37 states. At least in years passed, a large majority of students are from the midwest. Missouri, Kansas, and Illinois typically have the most students. KCUMB is a private school, so you should have just as good of a chance being out of state as in state. It seems like in years passed there has been a bit of a regional preference, but the stats could be misleading. There are a lot of schools in the east and west coasts, people typically prefer going to school closer to home. I would imagine a large majority of students that end up matriculating to KCUMB live in the surrounding states.

I personally kind of like the idea of mandatory attendance...I skipped a lot of class my freshman year of college and did poorly. Actually physically being in class seems to help me learn.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Anybody receive secondary yet??? If so, you mind posting?

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the supplemental application after signing in?

Yes, just created an account but am getting an error page when I try to sign in. It's probably down.

Got a secondary invite today, the page still seems to be down though

Did anyone else not get a secondary? I got a "thank you for your interest email" with information about the school, but no secondary invite yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Also received secondary, created account, but site is down upon trying to log in. What up with that?

We can't see them since the site is down :( womp womp

Did anyone else not get a secondary? I got a "thank you for your interest email" with information about the school, but no secondary invite yet.

I got that at first as well. I then noticed that the secondary email was categorized under my "promotions" tab in gmail a couple of hours later. Try your junk folder too!

I received an email saying that the website should be working, but still a no go for me. :/

I got that at first as well. I then noticed that the secondary email was categorized under my "promotions" tab in gmail a couple of hours later. Try your junk folder too!
I checked both of those and it's not there. I exceed the screening requirements by a lot though, so I guess I just have to be patient!