Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I was pretending to do anatomy somewhere.

Hahaha at least you were pretending!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this was answered already. Is it required to have the LOR PDF forms from KCUMB be filled out by each of your letter writers? Or can we just turn in the LOR without those forms?

You can turn in the LORs without the pdf. That's just a guide.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got done interviewing at KCUMB! Admissions staff was so welcoming and down to earth. The new dean is funny but definitely intense. He comes from TexasCOM and RVUCOM and at each school sent board scores to number one and now he's doing the same thing here. He is absolutely passionate about making sure he creates the best physicians he can.

The only confusing part is that the students who gave us the tour are still in the phased out curriculum while the new first years are in the new curriculum so many of them can't really speak for the change in a 1st person perspective. The interview itself was relaxed and calm. They tried to make it casual but still professional which is perfect for "making sure there are no weirdos here" as the dean said to us.

There's not enough words to describe how awesome this school is. On top of outstanding electives, rotations, and matches, they have such a strong sense of community. You can tell the students work hard but love the environment. Even when we left interview day we had students asking us how we did even though we never met them. That is truly a "family" feel.

Lastly, Kansas City itself is truly a large city with a small town feel. There's a lot to do here.

I clicked immediately with the students, faculty, and administration. Top choice without a doubt. PM me, @Awesome Sauceome, or @yogaGirl323 if you guys have any more questions about interview day!

First years can't become ambassadors until January. We have only been in school for 1 month.

Applicants who interview next year will probably see students with the new curriculum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here on Monday. Praying for a successful interview.

Question: how is the area around KCUMB. In one of my other interviews, someone was saying it's in a "not so nice area with barbed wire around the school. "

Question: how is the area around KCUMB. In one of my other interviews, someone was saying it's in a "not so nice area with barbed wire around the school. "
Everyone keeps saying this, but from my limited perspective from my interview, it doesn't look that bad at all. I am from a city with a very high crime rate though, so I feel like my definition of "bad neighborhood" may be skewed. I did not see any barbed wire (though maybe they avoided that during the tour :laugh:)

it's not the best but it's not as bad as people make it. I feel comfortable walking downtown or to the farmer's market during the day. Come 9pm, it's not my first choice or second. Cabs and über are a great way to get around in KC, so it's not like your isolated from civilization, which is nice after exams or a during a light weekend.

As bad as this might sound, my personal security is a secondary concern and only to my studies. You're here to receive a high quality education and you're expected to put in the work. KCUMB has great facilities so it's kind of an oasis for me. I'll close down the library on most nights and feel perfectly comfortable crossing independence back to CT especially with security lurking everywhere.

Just got a complete email this morning. Do I need to let them know I plan to take biochem in the spring? It wasn't listed in my aacomas primary app...

Just got a complete email this morning. Do I need to let them know I plan to take biochem in the spring? It wasn't listed in my aacomas primary app...
When did you submit?

Submitted secondary about 5 days ago
Oh, ok, not bad then. I just submitted my secondary yesterday and people were saying it took a month to get the complete email, which was making me nervous.

Yea so long as you arent walking outside of the campus at 2am being a sketch ball, its just a normal looking college. Its not in like rural peaceful amish country, but its not like the hood in LA or something either... Pretty regular suburb outside of the major part of the city - will all of the good and bad amenities associated with that.

it's not the best but it's not as bad as people make it. I feel comfortable walking downtown or to the farmer's market during the day. Come 9pm, it's not my first choice or second. Cabs and über are a great way to get around in KC, so it's not like your isolated from civilization, which is nice after exams or a during a light weekend.

As bad as this might sound, my personal security is a secondary concern and only to my studies. You're here to receive a high quality education and you're expected to put in the work. KCUMB has great facilities so it's kind of an oasis for me. I'll close down the library on most nights and feel perfectly comfortable crossing independence back to CT especially with security lurking everywhere.

Are "good/clean :) " apartments close by the school such that students can go back and forth safely/securely; especially at night when you have, there are cases, to hang around at school till late?

If not close by, then how far you folks live?

Interviewing here on Monday as well!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are "good/clean :) " apartments close by the school such that students can go back and forth safely/securely; especially at night when you have, there are cases, to hang around at school till late?

If not close by, then how far you folks live?

CT (aka Century Towers) is literally across the street from the school and I think most people live there. But I had a friend show me the "downtown" apartments too and it's like a 5 minute drive - both seem nice and easy to get to.

First years can't become ambassadors until January. We have only been in school for 1 month.

Applicants who interview next year will probably see students with the new curriculum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was able to talk to some of the MSI's and they said the new curriculum is extremely challenging. What do you think?

Was able to talk to some of the MSI's and they said the new curriculum is extremely challenging. What do you think?

That is correct, AlteredScale. The new curriculum is incredibly challenging and unfortunately you won't fully understand that until you get here and experience it for yourself. Each block has basically been condensed, so we're covering even more material that the second years covered last year in a shorter amount of time. This morning, while in anatomy lab, we were informed that our musculoskeletal section is also significantly shorter than last year's musculoskeletal block. Dubin will outwardly admit that he holds us to a "first year resident level" and he means that in every sense of the statement. He'll let you know, in front of everyone, if you don't perform to that level. One of the other challenging factors, that hopefully won't be as big an issue for you guys, is that no one seems to have any answers since the curriculum is still in the process of being changed.

Don't get me wrong, I love this school. I love my classmates, I love my professors and I love the community of this school. This morning was a great example of how us as students will band together and support each other 100%. It's a fantastic place to learn medicine. Our facilities are top-notch, the staff is very supportive and the "family feel" they tell you about during interviews is real. We genuinely care about each other. KCUMB is prepping us for boards with a tailor made curriculum that will hopefully provide the framework for us to perform well, but learning this way comes with some trade-offs and it hasn't been without frustrations. Thankfully, the staff seems to be receptive of our concerns and frustrations thus far. Hope this helps a little! Let us know if you have any further questions.

Reactions: 3 users

It is challenging. But not impossible. I have found they work the schedule so exam weeks are a bit lighter than non exam weeks, and they gave us an entire day off to study for one final. The amount of material is daunting.... (immunology in 1 week/8days....insane) but if you time manage and prioritize you'll be fine.
To do well it is highly recommended to read our textbooks as material not covered in lecture is still fair game on the exams. It is almost all board style questions (application/2nd order) on exams...very little knowledge/regurgitation questions.
However, I'd say it's probably not really any different at kcumb than it is at other medical schools in regards to volume and time you have to learn the material.

Reactions: 1 users

It's hard but manageable. It takes discipline to get through this curriculum and I have respect for my fellow classmates.

Learning Immunology in 2 weeks and being able to answer 2nd order questions in such a short amount of time is pretty hard. I know some people who basically read the entire textbook in those 2 weeks and still showed up for class. Now imagine doing this with OMM labs and an anatomy practical.

That is correct, AlteredScale. The new curriculum is incredibly challenging and unfortunately you won't fully understand that until you get here and experience it for yourself. Each block has basically been condensed, so we're covering even more material that the second years covered last year in a shorter amount of time. This morning, while in anatomy lab, we were informed that our musculoskeletal section is also significantly shorter than last year's musculoskeletal block. Dubin will outwardly admit that he holds us to a "first year resident level" and he means that in every sense of the statement. He'll let you know, in front of everyone, if you don't perform to that level. One of the other challenging factors, that hopefully won't be as big an issue for you guys, is that no one seems to have any answers since the curriculum is still in the process of being changed.

I felt bad for Group 3 today. I can only imagine how devastated they felt.

In order to get Dean Dubin's respect you have to make sure you work really hard. If he believes you're slacking off then he will make an example out of you in front of everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I love this school. I love my classmates, I love my professors and I love the community of this school. This morning was a great example of how us as students will band together and support each other 100%. It's a fantastic place to learn medicine. Our facilities are top-notch, the staff is very supportive and the "family feel" they tell you about during interviews is real. We genuinely care about each other. KCUMB is prepping us for boards with a tailor made curriculum that will hopefully provide the framework for us to perform well, but learning this way comes with some trade-offs and it hasn't been without frustrations. Thankfully, the staff seems to be receptive of our concerns and frustrations thus far. Hope this helps a little! Let us know if you have any further questions.

I thought first year was anatomy, physiology and other "normal" and second year was pathology and pharm. So have you covered everything the MS-IIs have? Isn't that what you will do second year?

I thought first year was anatomy, physiology and other "normal" and second year was pathology and pharm. So have you covered everything the MS-IIs have? Isn't that what you will do second year?

First year is biochemistry, immunology and systems in normal function.

Second year is pathology of systems.

In a nutshell....

@kc32413 @Eremba @chizledfrmstone thanks for the input. Dublin told us that this new curriculum is very difficult but reassured us that we wouldn't be interviewing if he didn't believe we could get through it.

The students there were so friendly even though they said they were stressed out so that was really nice.

Are any of you guys thinking of doing the fellowships in anatomy or OMM?

@kc32413 @Eremba @chizledfrmstone thanks for the input. Dublin told us that this new curriculum is very difficult but reassured us that we wouldn't be interviewing if he didn't believe we could get through it.

The students there were so friendly even though they said they were stressed out so that was really nice.

Are any of you guys thinking of doing the fellowships in anatomy or OMM?

Haven't thought that far ahead yet. I'm just trying to survive the block we're in :)

It's hard but manageable. It takes discipline to get through this curriculum and I have respect for my fellow classmates.

Learning Immunology in 2 weeks and being able to answer 2nd order questions in such a short amount of time is pretty hard. I know some people who basically read the entire textbook in those 2 weeks and still showed up for class. Now imagine doing this with OMM labs and an anatomy practical.

I felt bad for Group 3 today. I can only imagine how devastated they felt.

In order to get Dean Dubin's respect you have to make sure you work really hard. If he believes you're slacking off then he will make an example out of you in front of everyone.

Yes, definitely felt awful for them. Dubin won't just use you as an example, he'll belittle you in front of 300+ people and then walk away with a smirk on his face. Unfortunately, he seems to be creating a rift between the administration office and the students.

I got an email from this school about a month ago saying based on my MCAT score they would like me to apply here.
It also stated in the email that I would get the following benefits if I applied before Sep 30th:
  • Priority consideration for one of our coveted spots at our Interview Days.
  • Priority consideration for scholarships through our financial aid process.
Did anyone else receive a similar email? I'm sending out my secondary application on Monday and was just curious if this email is fairly common to receive.

Good luck during the app cycle everyone!

I got that email and applied - I'm complete now but still crossing my fingers for an II

Complete 08/14 and still haven't heard anything? Anyone complete after that with II?

They also have nothing to compare it to. I definitely think it is hard, but I have no idea if it is harder than what the second years did last year or what first years do at any other medical school because I haven't done those things. Medical school is hard everywhere.

They also have nothing to compare it to. I definitely think it is hard, but I have no idea if it is harder than what the second years did last year or what first years do at any other medical school because I haven't done those things. Medical school is hard everywhere.

True. Thanks for the feedback! Is it difficult because it's more compact and you have a bunch of other things to do? (OMM lab, anatomy, that health informatics course).

Thanks!

True. Thanks for the feedback! Is it difficult because it's more compact and you have a bunch of other things to do? (OMM lab, anatomy, that health informatics course).

Thanks!

Yep, as most at KCUMB would tell you it is definitely the volume of material that makes medical school difficult, rather than the material itself. What would take half a semester to learn in undergrad is expected to be learned in about two weeks now. But like I said, I think that is true of most medical schools.

Yep, as most at KCUMB would tell you it is definitely the volume of material that makes medical school difficult, rather than the material itself. What would take half a semester to learn in undergrad is expected to be learned in about two weeks now. But like I said, I think that is true of most medical schools.

Oh GOD, we covered 1/3 my biochem course in about 3-4 days. The material just comes at you so fast.

Here is a link to what our curriculum looks like:
http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/curriculum/

Reactions: 2 users
I spoke to my advisor about the current curriculum on Day 1 and he doesn't think it's anything crazy like how Dubin puts it. The way I understand it is that Dubin slapped a label on it and said it's the best, but in reality medical schools across the country are doing the same thing we're doing here and have been doing so for years (decades?). So, I don't think it's a "brand new approach" to medical education. I personally couldn't explain it to you except "as drinking water through a fire hose," which is what I expected before school started and from any medical school.

To be honest with you, the advice I have received from second years still applies.

I spoke to my advisor about the current curriculum on Day 1 and he doesn't think it's anything crazy like how Dubin puts it. The way I understand it is that Dubin slapped a label on it and said it's the best, but in reality medical schools across the country are doing the same thing we're doing here and have been doing so for years (decades?). So, I don't think it's a "brand new approach" to medical education. I personally couldn't explain it to you except "as drinking water through a fire hose," which is what I expected before school started and from any medical school.

To be honest with you, the advice I have received from second years still applies.

What was that advice? Haha

IMO, just peruse SDN for studying tips before you start school. It's a great resource once you look past the kids with impeccable GPAs and 47z MCAT scores. You'll get more teacher specific advice once you're accepted here.

Honest question for current students: I think we all expect med school curriculums to be challenging, but past that, do you feel like the professors/resources at KCUMB help you overcome that initial challenge? At least as much to help get you in the mindset to learn the material in such a short amount of time? I know some of the students at interview day had mentioned having tutors for anatomy I think? Are there similar resources or study groups for other classes?

I'd like to think that even with a tough curriculum, as long as I had support from peers/professors, I could adapt and succeed. That's the goal anyway =P

I would say so. Phys and Osteopathic Skills have tutors. Some kids form study groups. Resources? You can contact most profs about specific questions and they are more than willing to help you out. My advisor and I think most advisors have an open door. There are learning specialists on campus and I think there was a session or two for students who have been out of the game for a few years.

I know all of these have helped my class mates to a certain extent. A lot of it will be your mindset and approach coming in, but they can certainly orient you in the right direction. It's going to take some time to figure out what works best for you as will be drilled into you during orientation. The advice they will probably give you is go over it a lot (repetition) and be an active when you study. The tip I would tack onto that is to be efficient. 2 hours of efficient studying is better than 6-8 hrs of just, say, reading. I know, that's a little extreme.

Reactions: 2 users
Also II today. Completed the end of August. :)