Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A
II here today, interviewing October 3. This is my second II but I am beyond excited about this one. Super excited to read that they basically want to accept you if you get an interview, I hope that that is true. I am still waiting on my second mcat score to come in tomorrow so I was surprised to get this II 1 day before the score. Complete 1 week ago, 26,3.29/3.20. KCUMB class of 2019 PLEASE!!!

When did you submit to get complete a week ago?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my ii today!! Soooo stoked I can barely stop smiling like an idiot at work today :D Just for any of you worrying about the gpa cut-offs, don't stress! I have a c gpa of 3.22 and a s gpa of 3.3 (with a strong upward trend) and a 27 MCAT (7 subsection on PS) and I was offered an interview. However, I did do retakes and they were not eligible for grade replacement in my AACOMAS GPA because the credits were less at my post-bac school than at my undergrad college. I explained this to KCUMB in a separate letter, so I'm not sure if that's what let me slide by the cut-offs. I do have good EC's, research, spent a ton of time on my essays, and my DO letter was from a KCUMB alum. They really do look at the whole person and value strong upward trends in grades (and an alum LOR, it seems.) Good luck to all of you guys! It has been so helpful reading about your MS1 & interview experiences...keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Interviewed Sep 04th!!!!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
interviewed on the 4th and still waiting! fingers crossed :/

Reactions: 3 users
3.5 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, no retakes, significant upward strend. 26 MCAT, 34 MCAT. Non-traditional. I got an email about a fast-tracked application process if I apply by September 30th, but I have only 30 shadowing hours and no DO/MD letter. They also seemed to have sent this to everyone! I am going to get more shadowing done ASAP and a DO letter. To the people already accepted or invited to an interview, when did you apply? The first day? Has anyone gotten scholarships or anything? To those accepted, have you already gone to interviews elsewhere?

Last edited:
3.5 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, no retakes, significant upward strend. 26 MCAT, 34 MCAT. Non-traditional. I got an email about a fast-tracked application process if I apply by September 30th, but I have only 30 shadowing hours and no DO/MD letter. I am going to get more shadowing done ASAP and a DO letter. To the people already accepted or invited to an interview, when did you apply? The first day? Has anyone gotten scholarships or anything? To those accepted, have you already gone to interviews elsewhere? I don't want to rush my application to DO schools, it seems like the fast-track application process seems worth it?

I think shadowing hours and a physician letter are going to play a fairly big role in the application and though it was really nice to hear back so quickly from a school like KCUMB, I wouldn't rush to apply just because of a date. I applied on the first day to KCUMB but to other schools in the weeks after and I have other interviews lined up as well. Definitely get your application in as soon as possible, but also make it the best/strongest application it can be. Hope that helps and good luck!

3.5 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, no retakes, significant upward strend. 26 MCAT, 34 MCAT. Non-traditional. I got an email about a fast-tracked application process if I apply by September 30th, but I have only 30 shadowing hours and no DO/MD letter. They also seemed to have sent this to everyone! I am going to get more shadowing done ASAP and a DO letter. To the people already accepted or invited to an interview, when did you apply? The first day? Has anyone gotten scholarships or anything? To those accepted, have you already gone to interviews elsewhere?
I also applied the very first day, and had my secondaries pre-written, so all of them were submitted the same day. In addition had a MarianU interview last Saturday, others lined up as well. From other threads, seems like people get interviews in a week since their submission, start working on the shadowing experience, so you can write about it in the application and submit the application in a VERY reasonable time-frame. With the numbers you have the odds will be in your favor.

I applied in July, was verified on 08/14, received my KCUMB secondary on 08/20, submitted that on 08/24, and received my interview invite 09/16.

Reactions: 1 user
Any recommendation on a hotel that has free shuttle to/from the MCI airport and to/from KCUMB???

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a list on the KCUMB website when you schedule your interview.
Ya I saw that list but I guess the hotels listed on there only go to about 5miles radius so I was wondering if any booked other hotels that provided shuttle to longer distance?

Also, super shuttle good to use?

Thanks for the reply.

Honestly guys...if you are able to rent a car it is much easier. It's extremely nice to be able to just drive wherever you want whenever. You can also go and grab some bomb KC BBQ after your interview if you have your own ride!

The car costs like 25 bucks and then you pay for gas. I paid $6 for gas and drove around quite a bit.

Just my two cents.

Honestly guys...if you are able to rent a car it is much easier. It's extremely nice to be able to just drive wherever you want whenever. You can also go and grab some bomb KC BBQ after your interview if you have your own ride!

The car costs like 25 bucks and then you pay for gas. I paid $6 for gas and drove around quite a bit.

Just my two cents.

still 23 years old haha....lucky you!

I would say there's a pretty good chance you'll make it since the airport isn't far and not even that busy compared to bigger airports haha. But if there's a later flight, it might be a little safer. They'll accommodate though - probably give you an early interview time =]

I would say there's a pretty good chance you'll make it since the airport isn't far and not even that busy compared to bigger airports haha. But if there's a later flight, it might be a little safer. They'll accommodate though - probably give you an early interview time =]
Oh is that why they ask you to email back admissions to let them know about your flight plans? How nice of them! There is a later flight.. but its much much pricier...

Oh is that why they ask you to email back admissions to let them know about your flight plans? How nice of them! There is a later flight.. but its much much pricier...

Yup! And they should ask you when you check in as well (don't be afraid to say something when you walk in if they don't), so you should be okay! I think my interview was at 2:45pm and I was back in the hotel around 3:30/3:45 (my flight was the next morning) but even with that timing, you could probably get to the airport and still have plenty of time before your flight!

The shuttle and breakfast at 816 was nice but there were several "interesting" stains on the chair in my room. I Didn't want to put anything down on it. But its ok for a night though.

The shuttle and breakfast at 816 was nice but there were several "interesting" stains on the chair in my room. I Didn't want to put anything down on it. But its ok for a night though.

Haha! Yeah my room smelled musty but I felt the same way "it's just one night".

I'm not 100% sure of the price and it's probably a little pricier than these other hotels but I've stayed in the Residence Inn on Main Street in KC (about 3-5 minutes from the school) and it was absolutely beautiful. Free breakfast and shuttle service included. It's a converted apartment complex so the room was all inclusive. In case anyone feels like splurging a bit haha. =]

I just got my acceptance email!!! For those still waiting, check your inbox!

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted today :-/ super bummed. Hopefully there will be enough turnover to get a seat. Anyone know how the waitlist process works or the likelihood of getting in?

Waitlisted today :-/ super bummed. Hopefully there will be enough turnover to get a seat. Anyone know how the waitlist process works or the likelihood of getting in?

Sorry to hear that :(

Did you find out via email or snail mail?

Accepted!!!! And so so happy! Interviewed 9/10

Reactions: 1 users
Wow! I've been trolling this thread for a while and I am not yet complete, waiting on AACOMAS. I have my secondaries pre-written, so I am bummed they are giving waitlist spots out already. Hopefully my stats are competitive.

You still have 230-250 to go hahaha. Thats the only nice thing about being the 14th largest med school in the US

I am curious where/how you get the info to conclude there are 230-250 spots to go as of today since we don't know how many they had inteviewed so far.......(assuming ~ 90% accepted as this thread hinted)?

They interview about 30/day and have had about 4 or 5 interview days so far I believe, so that would be 120-150 interviewed, probably 120-130 accepted so 250 spots left isn't totally unreasonable. I would say maybe a little closer to 300 but of course no one really knows, right? =P

I am curious where/how you get the info to conclude there are 230-250 spots to go as of today since we don't know how many they had inteviewed so far.......(assuming ~ 90% accepted as this thread hinted)?
I was more or less messing sorry.... but truth be told they do have a massive class size and they accept something like 550 people, so I would argue your chances are still extremely good if you are holding out for them. It is still pretty early.