Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They interview about 30/day and have had about 4 or 5 interview days so far I believe, so that would be 120-150 interviewed, probably 120-130 accepted so 250 spots left isn't totally unreasonable. I would say maybe a little closer to 300 but of course no one really knows, right? =P

Thank you..........good info for everybody who still hanging around pre-II.

Members don't see this ad.

I was more or less messing sorry.... but truth be told they do have a massive class size and they accept something like 550 people, so I would argue your chances are still extremely good if you are holding out for them. It is still pretty early.

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW as well they are expanding the class size to around 270ish for the 2015 class as well. It's gunna be cramped. So all you WL's hang in there!!!

I would not mind to sit on the floor if I have to.........if they provide a cushion :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I interviewed at KCUMB on 9/15 and here is what I discovered:

Positives:
-The Dean seems like a total stud and has a very impressive resumé. He brought a new curriculum to KCUMB that promises to generate top board scores across the country, as he has done with past schools.
-The campus is beautiful and KCUMB has renovated numerous areas. All of the facilities seem both impressive and state-of-the-art.
-The student life on campus is amazing. There is a student lounge area with a coffee shop, gym, pool tables, table tennis, and even an activities room (the anatomy professor was leading a Zumba class when we were touring...very entertaining to watch :)).
-All of the students seem genuinely happy and go out of their way to say hi (one kid even offered me a ride to the airport as I was awaiting my shuttle).
-Century Towers is adjacent to campus and houses most of the first and second year students at KCUMB - This seems like a great opportunity to meet people ESP if you are moving out there alone. Also pet friendly.

Negatives:
-The area surrounding the school is definitely below average. I toured the campus the day before my interview to get my own opinion, and found myself sometimes uncomfortable as I walked around the streets surrounding campus (a lot of homeless-type people wandering etc). Needless to say, the campus is safe (plenty of security) and none of the students at KCUMB felt that they were in any danger when asked.
-I am a big outdoorsman and was looking for a school that offered hiking/climbing/camping opportunities nearby. Kansas City doesn't have much to offer in that department, unless you are willing to travel well outside the city.

Thats pretty much it! I stayed at the 816 Hotel which was amazing (105$/night, with free shuttle service ANYTIME you want to leave the hotel). I also ate at Q39, which is within walking distance from 816 and has some amazing BBQ.

This school was not even near my top 10, but after interviewing it is well in my top 5.

Reactions: 2 users
FWIW as well they are expanding the class size to around 270ish for the 2015 class as well. It's gunna be cramped. So all you WL's hang in there!!!

I would not mind to sit on the floor if I have to.........if they provide a cushion :)
Hi all,

I interviewed at KCUMB on 9/15 and here is what I discovered:

Positives:
-The Dean seems like a total stud and has a very impressive resumé. He brought a new curriculum to KCUMB that promises to generate top board scores across the country, as he has done with past schools.
-The campus is beautiful and KCUMB has renovated numerous areas. All of the facilities seem both impressive and state-of-the-art.
-The student life on campus is amazing. There is a student lounge area with a coffee shop, gym, pool tables, table tennis, and even an activities room (the anatomy professor was leading a Zumba class when we were touring...very entertaining to watch :)).
-All of the students seem genuinely happy and go out of their way to say hi (one kid even offered me a ride to the airport as I was awaiting my shuttle).
-Century Towers is adjacent to campus and houses most of the first and second year students at KCUMB - This seems like a great opportunity to meet people ESP if you are moving out there alone. Also pet friendly.

Negatives:
-The area surrounding the school is definitely below average. I toured the campus the day before my interview to get my own opinion, and found myself sometimes uncomfortable as I walked around the streets surrounding campus (a lot of homeless-type people wandering etc). Needless to say, the campus is safe (plenty of security) and none of the students at KCUMB felt that they were in any danger when asked.
-I am a big outdoorsman and was looking for a school that offered hiking/climbing/camping opportunities nearby. Kansas City doesn't have much to offer in that department, unless you are willing to travel well outside the city.

Thats pretty much it! I stayed at the 816 Hotel which was amazing (105$/night, with free shuttle service ANYTIME you want to leave the hotel). I also ate at Q39, which is within walking distance from 816 and has some amazing BBQ.

This school was not even near my top 10, but after interviewing it is well in my top 5.

Is Century Towers in the zone of "safe area"?

Reactions: 1 user

HAHAH why did that question make me bust up laughing? I believe the real estate agent said that the basement is the fire and police department so yes it's safe?

HAHAH why did that question make me bust up laughing? I believe the real estate agent said that the basement is the fire and police department so yes it's safe?

Wrong choice of word...........my apology to all, bro!

Century Towers has security that lines the path between their buildings and the school (they're diagonally across the street from each other) and yeah, the police and fire dept are there too so sounds pretty safe to me! Haha =]

They interview about 30/day and have had about 4 or 5 interview days so far I believe, so that would be 120-150 interviewed, probably 120-130 accepted so 250 spots left isn't totally unreasonable. I would say maybe a little closer to 300 but of course no one really knows, right? =P
I interviewed on Monday 15 and they said that was the second interview day.

I interviewed on Monday 15 and they said that was the second interview day.

I know there were interviews on 9/4 (mine), 9/9 and 9/10 as reported here, and 9/15 (yours) plus I remember looking at the calendar when I first got my II and I think there were 7 dates in September =] that's why I guessed 4-5!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have luck getting in touch with KCUMB admissions? I've tried email multiple times but no responses. I've called once so far, got on hold and disconnected on.

International student flying in for an interview next week, trying to sort out supershuttle and to make sure i get my flight after the interview...

We have 270 in our class (com2018). There is plenty of room.....

Oh really? Weird, I honestly couldn't see more than 200 fitting into that auditorium.

Coming from a large university, that auditorium is way larger than any I've been in and I've had classes with over 300 people haha. Plus I don't think they would take a class size that wouldn't fit in the auditorium since they all have class together. So I'm not worried =]

Did everyone receive any sort of confirmation email after scheduling an interview?

Did everyone receive any sort of confirmation email after scheduling an interview?
I did! It's an email containing a few PDF files about Kansas City travel plans and interview day outline.

Coming from a large university, that auditorium is way larger than any I've been in and I've had classes with over 300 people haha. Plus I don't think they would take a class size that wouldn't fit in the auditorium since they all have class together. So I'm not worried =]

Haha it's strange because I come from UCSD which has class sizes that are HUGE (400), perhaps I didn't really get a good look at the auditorium.

Oh really? Weird, I honestly couldn't see more than 200 fitting into that auditorium.

First year classroom is supposed to have 375-400 seats (can't remember the exact number).

I know the second year classroom is a bit smaller, but still fits all of our class.

Getting excited and nervous for my interview! It will be my first and I want an acceptance SO bad.

Coming from Florida, Kansas City was a huge adjustment just the three days I was there! The air was so dry =P Not used to not having 100% humidity lol. But it was hot and sunny on my interview date and then cloudy and cold the day I flew out - I'll take the variety though, it's better than hot and sunny/rainy/humid every day of the year. And talk about the potential for a real winter! I'm excited hehe

First year classroom is supposed to have 375-400 seats (can't remember the exact number).

I know the second year classroom is a bit smaller, but still fits all of our class.

I'm pretty sure the smaller one supposedly fits 320 and the larger one is 400, but we've got awesome chairs that take up more than one seat, so there are less actual seats than that. I'm glad too, it would be so cramped if there was actually a seat at each little name plaque...

Hey all, first year at KCUMB here, if you've got questions about anything feel free to message me. I've talked to the deans about curriculum stuff a few times, so I might be able to answer some of those questions. Good luck to all those interviewing and congrats to those already accepted!

I'm responding to this as I look out off my balcony onto mission bay....

I really hope I can handle this kind of adjustment....cold, gray, rain, and snow sounds miserable..!

HAHAHA so weird. I'm headed to mission bay to go to Clairemont Coffee!

Yes, the weather change will be very weird and tough but from what I've heard is weather don't matter much when you are stuck inside studying!

HAHAHA so weird. I'm headed to mission bay to go to Clairemont Coffee!

Yes, the weather change will be very weird and tough but from what I've heard is weather don't matter much when you are stuck inside studying!

You need to get yourself over to Industrial Grind coffee for a proper pour over....best coffee in SD.

I've never heard of it but I'll be making a detour soon! Super jealous that you live in MB!!!

Crown point, but same diff!

Edit: I've found myself saying same diff after watching Chad vid's on repeat for three months.... damnit..

Waitlisted today :-/ super bummed. Hopefully there will be enough turnover to get a seat. Anyone know how the waitlist process works or the likelihood of getting in?
If anything probably likely. I got waitlisted in Jan and got in July so don't cross out your hope!

Anyone interviewing 9/24 this week? I will be arriving the afternoon of 9/23 if anyone wants to explore!

Also, will be jetting it to the airport after the interview (either taxi or supershuttle) if anyone wants to join. 6PM international flight back to the land of igloos(Canada).

at least 1 Canadian accepted ;):biglove:

at least 1 Canadian accepted ;):biglove:

Are you Canadian? Congrats! PM me where you from and I can direct you to a page where there are lots of Canadian students pursuing DO. :)

Make that at least 2 since another Canadian was recently accepted.

Are you Canadian? Congrats! PM me where you from and I can direct you to a page where there are lots of Canadian students pursuing DO. :)

Make that at least 2 since another Canadian was recently accepted.

On Sep 04th interview day, there were 2 Canadians. The other one from Victoria, BC. Haven't seen any other Canadians here yet)

On Sep 04th interview day, there were 2 Canadians. The other one from Victoria, BC. Haven't seen any other Canadians here yet)
Oh wow nice! I'm guessing there's at least 10+ they are interviewing already :D

woohoo BC

Does anyone know when KCUMB MSI start next year?

I would plan on the first week of August being the start of class..... We started 8/4/14....don't see that changing.
But no dates are set, so this is not a date in stone.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone interviewing 9/24 this week? I will be arriving the afternoon of 9/23 if anyone wants to explore!

Also, will be jetting it to the airport after the interview (either taxi or supershuttle) if anyone wants to join. 6PM international flight back to the land of igloos(Canada).

what time do you arrive on 9/23?