Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what time do you arrive on 9/23?
Yay another OOS. Though Mars is much farther than Canada. I arrive at the airport around 2:30-3:00 I think. I was thinking since I'm not rushed, I may take the bus into town (1 hour trip) that way I can see a view of the rest of the surrounding area as it travels. Shoot me a PM!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I will be interviewing on 10/3. I have a pretty long drive ahead of me so I will be staying the night again after the interview and will be leaving KC on the 4th. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else will be doing the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
II just came through my email, pretty happy about this opportunity. My cousin went to this school and had great things to say about it. Wish I could interview oct 3 but have an interview elsewhere(good problem to have). Most likely interviewing oct 14 or 15.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 9/9 and still have not heard anything. Did anyone ever get a follow up email, like they said they would send us, a few days after the interview?

I interviewed 9/9 and still have not heard anything. Did anyone ever get a follow up email, like they said they would send us, a few days after the interview?

I interviewed 9/9 as well. Still no follow up email, no news at all! You're not alone

II just came through my email, pretty happy about this opportunity. My cousin went to this school and had great things to say about it. Wish I could interview oct 3 but have an interview elsewhere(good problem to have). Most likely interviewing oct 14 or 15.
When were you complete?

interviewing next tuesday...anyone have any tips??

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh jeez, that's a long time. I was complete 9/17, and I was hoping to hear something within two weeks, like the complete email said.
Well, to be honest my stats aren't awesome maybe that is why. 25 mcat, 3.6 sGPA 3.66 cGPA

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Completely freaking out. I'm going here for sure!

Interviewed 9/9

Reactions: 13 users
If anyone is interviewing here on this Wednesday and will be around KCUMB area Tuesday - shoot me a PM!

Will likely be bored and rather not sit couped up in the hotel room.

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Completely freaking out. I'm going here for sure!

Interviewed 9/9
Accepted as well! Haha shortly after our mini conversation!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone how strict they are about the English credit requirement? I have 3 out of 6 credits. Don't know if they would waive it considering my other credentials are strong (cGPA 3.9). Anyone with knowledge or past experience can help me?

Entering neurotic premed mode - do they send out rejections on a separate day or something because i didnt get an email today..

U might hear a bit later sit tight

Entering neurotic premed mode - do they send out rejections on a separate day or something because i didnt get an email today..
Don't panic yet! It seemed like everybody from my interview day (9/9) found out a week ago and I was pretty much convinced I was rejected since I hadn't heard anything. But I was accepted today! There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to how they're timing these decisions. Just stay positive and keep your fingers crossed!

Haven't heard yet either from 9/15 interview date. You're not alone!

I just got accepted. Holy. Crap. So exciting! Interview was on 9/9, stats are sub par but I felt my interview went spectacularly, to be honest. I think that may have carried me into the acceptance. Wow I was so worried about my MCAT score too, I'm ecstatic right now.

Reactions: 9 users
I just got accepted. Holy. Crap. So exciting! Interview was on 9/9, stats are sub par but I felt my interview went spectacularly, to be honest. I think that may have carried me into the acceptance. Wow I was so worried about my MCAT score too, I'm ecstatic right now.

Congrats!!!!! Welcome to the family!

Do any of you plan on having a dog while in school, or any current students currently have a dog? I'm trying to figure out if I will have to enough time to take care of mine/give enough attention while in school.

I have a question on the secondary app, even though I have not yet been offered one;). My AACOMAS is still processing, so hopefully soon. I am pre-writing the secondary from the prompts I have seen on this thread, but I am unsure how length is determined. When it says 2500 words, is it a legit 2500 words, or is it measured similar to the AACOMAS/AMCAS application section. Congrats to all those accepted and I really hope to be joining you in that party this year!

I have a question on the secondary app, even though I have not yet been offered one;). My AACOMAS is still processing, so hopefully soon. I am pre-writing the secondary from the prompts I have seen on this thread, but I am unsure how length is determined. When it says 2500 words, is it a legit 2500 words, or is it measured similar to the AACOMAS/AMCAS application section. Congrats to all those accepted and I really hope to be joining you in that party this year!

To be on the safe side Id say it's a "legit" 2500 words. Concise and precise is always better.

Best of luck and PM if you have any more questions!

Do any of you plan on having a dog while in school, or any current students currently have a dog? I'm trying to figure out if I will have to enough time to take care of mine/give enough attention while in school.
Aww I hope you get to keep your doggy! Honestly though, I am not sure if it's fair to the dog to have a dog during medical school :/ Dogs are so much work and chances are you won't have as much time as you'd like to devote to him/her. I'm a huge advocate of only keeping animals if you know you can take care of them/keep them and I think it's best to not have a dog as a medical student. I am planning on getting a cat though - cats are so much easier to take care of.

2500 characters, not words

I don't know if I would be able to take care of a dog. I work a 9am-5pm job now and already feel bad for my cat, I can't imagine leaving a dog that long xD but I'm also definitely bringing my cat with me. He serves as my stress relief haha.

The student ambassadors mentioned that many students have dogs. They go home during lunch to let them out/walk them/etc. I made sure to ask the same question because I have two dogs that I'm planning to bring with me! If you're thinking of living in CT, there's a huge fenced dog park literally right across the street. And some of the other buildings I've been looking into have their own small dog yards too! There are options, but only if you feel you can manage :)

If anyone is interviewing here on this Wednesday and will be around KCUMB area Tuesday - shoot me a PM!

Will likely be bored and rather not sit couped up in the hotel room.

still up for grabs. limited time offer :p

How strict is the MCAT cut-off? I have a 24 with verbal <7.

I saw some of you guys/gals at interview today. Hope you had a grand time and if you ever have any questions hit us up!

I just got a dog, and he is a big responsibility. I would not have gotten him if I lived alone, but my fiancée works part time/from home and she gets lonely. He's also a husky and basically a puppy, so he's a much bigger commitment than other breeds. That being said, if you are living with other people or already own/have trained dogs it's definitely manageable. Especially if you live at CT since you can pretty much walk back whenever to check in on them. I know at least 8 or 10 other students that have dogs here, and their dogs seem to be doing well. Just realize that if you don't have one it will be a huge time commitment that probably won't be fair to you or your dog if you don't have awesome time management skills.

To anyone who reads this, I interviewed at KCUMB today. It was so chill.

Take the night before and go out and eat somewhere and relax - the interview day was pretty smooth, and the 30 minute interviews are strict on the 30 minutes. It is a standard basic interview just to get to know you. They have your secondary essays and personal statement. My interviewer just was running down a list of potential questions and asking more info based on what i had submitted.

Nothing out of left field or confusing. Solid school, nice students and friendly staff.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys! I need help! I have interview next tuesday but I haven't booked a room yet! The four discounted hotels are all booked out. Any advice on a hotel and mode of transportation that is affordable? Thank you so much. Please help me out.

Guys! I need help! I have interview next tuesday but I haven't booked a room yet! The four discounted hotels are all booked out. Any advice on a hotel and mode of transportation that is affordable? Thank you so much. Please help me out.
I stayed at the Microtel right next to the airport. It was ok. Rooms were really small and the place kinda smelled like smoke. It was only like $50 though. There are also a few places to eat around it so that was nice considering I got there rather late.

I stayed at the Microtel right next to the airport. It was ok. Rooms were really small and the place kinda smelled like smoke. It was only like $50 though. There are also a few places to eat around it so that was nice considering I got there rather late.

Thanks for the help. How did you deal with transportation? Taxi is really expensive.

How strict is the MCAT cut-off? I have a 24 with verbal <7.

KCUMB is a hard screening school. It selects you for stats and extracurriculars before it interviews you. If you're below the minimal you will not be interviewed. ( which is why it can boost an enormously high interview to acceptance rate of over 80%)

In either case you need to retake it as your scores are not very good and the application process is getting harder.

Has anyone been complete for more than 2 weeks and not heard back yet?