Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was it a packet or a letter, and when were you accepted? I have only received things through email, which is fine, but I was just making sure that I should not be expecting anything through the mail then.

I only got a hard copy of the acceptance letter. No package has come out!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, what's the grading scheme like ? Preclinical and clinical years if anyone knows

Regular grades as far as I have heard. I believe they curve up to 85%. So if the class average is like a 70% then they would add 15% to everyone's grade.

Okay gotchya. And I was looking at the curriculum for 1st year and I see it is systems based. How do they incorporate anatomy into that?

Reactions: 1 user
Okay gotchya. And I was looking at the curriculum for 1st year and I see it is systems based. How do they incorporate anatomy into that?
So like for each system they will basically do everything for it - the anatomy, physiology, path, biochem, etc. They will have lectures on all of that stuff, but then you will also be doing your anatomy lab stuff on that region as well, as far as I have heard. Like all of your courses sort of work together.

Then they do it all over again a second time 2nd year, but in more detail and with more path and pharm included I believe and minus basic anatomy. That is my general understanding of how it goes.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!! Interviewed 9/15. WOOO!!

Reactions: 8 users
yeaaaaaa buddy! Rock on man.

So I have been looking through a few other school's threads and seriously the group of people getting in to and thinking about KCUMB are freaking chill people. Like if all of us end up at KCUMB then this is an awesome core of people!
But we all know who is the most awesome. ^

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted too from 9/15!! Coincidence that I boldly wore my free post-interview KCUMB t-shirt today? I THINK NOT ;)

Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
yeaaaaaa buddy! Rock on man.

So I have been looking through a few other school's threads and seriously the group of people getting in to and thinking about KCUMB are freaking chill people. Like if all of us end up at KCUMB then this is an awesome core of people!
I know! I'm excited to meet everyone

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted too from 9/15!! Coincidence that I boldly wore my free post-interview KCUMB t-shirt today? I THINK NOT ;)

Congrats everyone!

Haha I was at the gym wearing mine today too when I received the email!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted ! 9/15 so happppyyyyyy !

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys thanks everyone a great sense of camaraderie waiting together and hoping. I lived most of my teen life outside the U.S what do I do about the immunization if I can't get the records ?

Haha I was at the gym wearing mine today too when I received the email!
My wife stole mine I called her on he way home and told her so she started to scream then was waiting for me in the drive way wearing the shirt and carrying my daughter. It is the most wonderful moment I have had since my daughter's birth I mean we worked for this so hard as a family and went thru hard times we are partners in this and i am thankful for that !

Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys thanks everyone a great sense of camaraderie waiting together and hoping. I lived most of my teen life outside the U.S what do I do about the immunization if I can't get the records ?

Contact the school... you may be able to have titers drawn to show immunity, or you may have to get the immunizations (or boosters) again. It depends on the school and state policy, but I am sure it will be okay if you start early :) Congratulations on your acceptance!

Contact the school... you may be able to have titers drawn to show immunity, or you may have to get the immunizations (or boosters) again. It depends on the school and state policy, but I am sure it will be okay if you start early :) Congratulations on your acceptance!
Thanks !

So like for each system they will basically do everything for it - the anatomy, physiology, path, biochem, etc. They will have lectures on all of that stuff, but then you will also be doing your anatomy lab stuff on that region as well, as far as I have heard. Like all of your courses sort of work together.

Then they do it all over again a second time 2nd year, but in more detail and with more path and pharm included I believe and minus basic anatomy. That is my general understanding of how it goes.

Are you talking about the old curriculum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contact the school... you may be able to have titers drawn to show immunity, or you may have to get the immunizations (or boosters) again. It depends on the school and state policy, but I am sure it will be okay if you start early :) Congratulations on your acceptance![/
. I am glad I am starting now I am sure I will have to get some boosters or even new ones !

Okay this just occurred to me if I didn't get my records and they won't accept blood screening can I take the missing shots at my physician or health dept you think ?

Yes.

It might be up on the matriculation page but you need the immunization paperwork.

Make sure the Hep B stuff is sorted out! The entire series takes 6 months.

Reactions: 1 users
If this year is like last year, you won't get a packet, just an acceptance letter then e-mails with the important info after.

Regular grades as far as I have heard. I believe they curve up to 85%. So if the class average is like a 70% then they would add 15% to everyone's grade.

Yep. I'd add that passing is a 70% after the curve. If you don't hit 70% after the curve you have to remediate the class at a later date. Not to scare people, but if it happens more than once or you do disastrously they may not let you remediate. Supposedly someone has already been dismissed and several others have to remediate over break, but if you put the work in I really don't think it's an issue. I would guess the person that was dismissed had more going on than just a grade issue. Idk how they grade clinical years, but I'm pretty sure it's the same way as most schools where you basically take a shelf exam and it's pass/fail. I wouldn't worry about it though, the first 2 years will be hard enough without thinking about how to pass clinicals.

That's a pretty good summary. You do all the systems twice. First year is supposed to focus on anatomy and give us a basic understanding of each system. So within each system we talk about anatomy, embryology, physiology, etc. (all the classes you take separately in a traditional curriculum). Second year we repeat each system but focus on pathology and clinical aspects more. This way we basically are reviewing each system and the important path stuff is fresher in our minds for boards. The entire curriculum is based on getting high board scores, which it has done at other schools in the past.

Yes.

It might be up on the matriculation page but you need the immunization paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT
Yes.

Ok thanks you are really helpful I really appreciate it ! Are you accepted too ?

Last edited:

Congrats everyone!
Haha I wore mine as a sleep shirt for a couple nights after my interview. If you want something you gotta manifest it and apparently it worked ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Any MS I or II can give some insight on good neighborhoods for married students I have a two year old who bounces off the wall and a similar behaving toy poodle so a backyard is a must !

Awesome, I know I am loving the process !

Are any of you that are still in school suffering from severe post-acceptance senioritis? I'm supposed to be writing a midterm paper for my Victorian feminist literature class and it is just not happening. If only med school weren't 10 months away!

Reactions: 3 users
Are any of you that are still in school suffering from severe post-acceptance senioritis? I'm supposed to be writing a midterm paper for my Victorian feminist literature class and it is just not happening. If only med school weren't 10 months away!
Not with school, but it is basically happening at work... Besides my paycheck and to complete certain projects which I am really interested in, a lot of motivation has definitely subsided. I have entered "super relax mode."

Hey this may be really early to ask, but would any current med students be able to comment on roughly when they received their refund check from financial aid? I know for sure that I am getting a new computer (current computer is from 2002). Also this dips into how one would pay for books and such - as the book list is pretty freaking long... Around when do you get your refund check here, is it before school starts or a couple of weeks into the semester?

Hey this may be really early to ask, but would any current med students be able to comment on roughly when they received their refund check from financial aid? I know for sure that I am getting a new computer (current computer is from 2002). Also this dips into how one would pay for books and such - as the book list is pretty freaking long... Around when do you get your refund check here, is it before school starts or a couple of weeks into the semester?

+1

1/2 way into August I believe.

Interviewed on the 24th of September and waiting with baited breath to hear...

fudge... well it looks like I am going to have to find creative ways to get some money for books and a laptop. Though I imagine I wont have to buy all of the books right off the bat, since it is systems based.

Sorry for the ignorant question but is that how the federal loans work? You have to pay first and then they give you a refund check?