Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is the information I found through AACOMAS (for KCUMB):

-Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14
-Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days
-Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days
-Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit
-Latest acceptance date: Until class is filled
-Maximum time for applicant to accept offer: Normally 30 days
-Requests for deferred entrance considered: Yes
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

hey any feedback here- I'm interviewing on Tuesday and I'm stressing out. I've already been rejected post-interview from a DO school and I think it's because they didn't think I sincerely wanted to be a DO. I really want to specialize but I want to be a DO at the same time- the AOA is opening so many specialties for DOs. I want to have OMT as a skill and if I use it or not in practice does not matter to me. I want to be able to help people with it with humanitarian work or whatever. But I'm just wondering if you think KCUMB will look down on me since I say I want to specialize cause DO schools cater to a lot of the Primary care physicians that we're in desperate need of. I don't want to blow my interview... just wondering if I should tell them I like peds instead of specializing to cover my tracks (I like peds too but probably wont do it).

We're all still premeds right now, so while we may have a preference on specialty vs. family medicine now, that can definitely change in med school. Just say you're currently interested in xxxxxxx but that you're open minded! It's all about how you present it.

The feeling that I got from KCUMB is that whatever you do end up choosing, you have to be realistic about your residency expectations. Good luck on Tuesday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Who knows, it's kinda just irritating since I spent today panicking :-/
Remember they told us up to 4 weeks on the interview day, I think we will hear next week most likely :)

Hope for good news for both of us :)

Just got trolled by KCUMB, got an email saying they are still waiting my application fees, LORs and secondary.

I thought it was an decision on my interview.
FML. Schools need to do a better job of ensuring mailing lists are managed - it adds unnecessary ups/downs for students :p

Reactions: 1 user
Feeling slightly trolled, noticed an email from KCUMB, topic was "application update."

Basically said that
Just got trolled by KCUMB, got an email saying they are still waiting my application fees, LORs and secondary.

I thought it was an decision on my interview.
FML. Schools need to do a better job of ensuring mailing lists are managed - it adds unnecessary ups/downs for students :p

Yeah I was just about to post that email too. Talk about a buzzkill. :(

Reactions: 1 users
Got my acceptance email today!!! Interviewed 9/24! Couldn't ask for a better birthday present!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance email today!!! Interviewed 9/24! Couldn't ask for a better birthday present!
Happy birthday!

I wonder if it was at the same time the rest of us got trolled - i.e. we got the wrong email maybe?

Just random predictions/rationales hahaha

Well, shucks. KCUMB is the only school I've yet to receive a secondary from. I did get a "Learn more about KCUMB" email, but no secondary. Looks like my window for this school is closing...

Same here...:-/

Glad I'm not the only person that feels slightly trolled by that email today haha.

When? What time?
I got my email around 10:40am. I also got the "missing info" email when I checked my email again. Just looked because I saw that I got the email after I finished an MD school interview late this afternoon (mmi format...holy goodness it was stressful). So I ran to my car and checked the email. So glad I didn't get rejected on my birthday haha!

Hey, I am interviewing on Tuesday Oct 13, I was wondering if any one could post interview questions? I am really nervous and I just want to make sure I practice enough for this interview.
Thanks

Hey, I am interviewing on Tuesday Oct 13, I was wondering if any one could post interview questions? I am really nervous and I just want to make sure I practice enough for this interview.
Thanks
+1 and I know this has been answered somewhere, but there are two interviews right? 30 mins each and 1 open file and the other all they see is secondary answers?

Just one interview with two interviewers. They have your secondary only in front of them. And yes it's about 30 minutes. It's pretty relaxed. Just know, like usual, you'll be answering at least one ethical question, and know why DO and why kcumb.

Last edited:
Hey so I received an email saying some of the things still missing from my file before matriculation (insurance stuff, health forms, etc). But on their website the options to click on and print the forms are grayed out. Should I assume that KCUMB is just trolling and sent out a mass email to people?

Those who got accepted and for sure going to KCUMB, have you guys figured out the housing situation? Roommates etc? Anyone decided to live in the lofts by River Market?

Does anyone know what date the white coat ceremony is?

Hey so I received an email saying some of the things still missing from my file before matriculation (insurance stuff, health forms, etc). But on their website the options to click on and print the forms are grayed out. Should I assume that KCUMB is just trolling and sent out a mass email to people?

Last year they took a while to get the stuff posted. Don't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone! I'm a current MSI here, so PM me if you have any questions regarding anything KCUMB! I know a lot of you are concerned regarding how intense the curriculum is becoming here, but the whole KCUMB family does everything they can to help you succeed. All the student, faculty, and just environment is built to have you work hard and help you in any way you need. All you have to do is ASK!

On a side note, a nice thing about our curriculum beyond having it being modified systems based (so we can build a great medical foundation) is that they have built our schedule so that we always have the day off before a final! Which is AMAZING! After getting flooding in with information, the worst possible thing is to get an exam the day after you get new material.

Reactions: 2 users
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972899.573352.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972913.441451.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972927.207961.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972945.861652.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972961.455956.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972977.841199.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972990.829521.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412973008.092325.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412973021.541459.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412973034.063847.jpg

For those who haven't seen the campus yet, here are some pictures I took from interview day. I also had to add in my first Kansas City BBQ experience and a sign I have never seen before (Cali resident).

Reactions: 6 users
That burger looks amazing.
Haha, I actually wanted to go to Oklahoma Joes, but took a wrong turn. I would have missed my flight if I turned around, so I went over by the airport and went to the Hilton hotel. They had a restaurant that serves this. Even in a hotel, it was by far the best sandwich I've had. No joke.

Hi, today I received an invitation email from KCUMB-COM to apply to their school. I was wondering if anyone else received this email. Below is the email they sent me. Is it worth it to apply? I am a student from Northeast US. I am currently planning on retaking my MCATs in January.

Medical School Invitation

Dear _______:

I have some great news for you. Based upon your success on the MCAT, I would like to invite you to apply to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). If you have already applied please click here.

This invitation to apply is being offered to a select group of students who show great potential. Because of this priority status, you can apply immediately via the AACOMAS application. Should you apply no later than October 31, 2014, you will receive the following benefits:

• A fast tracked admission decision, within one week of receipt of your application from AACOMAS, for secondary application consideration.
  • Priority consideration for one of our coveted spots at our Interview Days.
  • Priority consideration for scholarships through our financial aid process.

It's my hope that you will apply today, so that we can learn more about you and start the application review process.

It's my hope that you will continue begin your career in medicine here at Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.

Sincerely,
Dz5AILBNbWHAuizOSBEm0XaFrbaDoySBcsV-BIP0WfprnBiOJFhOcCuzwXon3SFHv-IuFQKa_wLJ3va-1pPZwmEs6wvygPEp1yUW4E_wQQajhZTA4nlwLque4T1cMU04Ij6PSYIp4drx4WMU8kvGF4co31byyOzJmK_pJYg=s0-d-e1-ft

Patricia Harper, M.S., M.S.O.D.
Director of Admissions
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

Work - (816) 654-7160
[email protected]

PS- Apply online, using the AACOMAS application, today.
Copyright © 2014 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in when taking the MCAT test.

Our mailing address is:
1750 Independence Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64106

Hi, today I received an invitation email from KCUMB-COM to apply to their school. I was wondering if anyone else received this email. Below is the email they sent me. Is it worth it to apply? I am a student from Northeast US. I am currently planning on retaking my MCATs in January.

Dear _______:

I have some great news for you. Based upon your success on the MCAT, I would like to invite you to apply to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). If you have already applied please click here.

This invitation to apply is being offered to a select group of students who show great potential. Because of this priority status, you can apply immediately via the AACOMAS application. Should you apply no later than October 31, 2014, you will receive the following benefits:

• A fast tracked admission decision, within one week of receipt of your application from AACOMAS, for secondary application consideration.

It's my hope that you will apply today, so that we can learn more about you and start the application review process.

It's my hope that you will continue begin your career in medicine here at Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.

Sincerely,
Dz5AILBNbWHAuizOSBEm0XaFrbaDoySBcsV-BIP0WfprnBiOJFhOcCuzwXon3SFHv-IuFQKa_wLJ3va-1pPZwmEs6wvygPEp1yUW4E_wQQajhZTA4nlwLque4T1cMU04Ij6PSYIp4drx4WMU8kvGF4co31byyOzJmK_pJYg=s0-d-e1-ft

Director of Admissions

Work - (816) 654-7160
[email protected]

Copyright © 2014 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
1750 Independence Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64106

What is your GPA and MCAT?

Dear _______:

Sincerely,

Director of Admissions

Work - (816) 654-7160
[email protected]

Our mailing address is:
1750 Independence Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64106

Ha, just got the same email. What was your MCAT?

got the same thing, I am from Canada. not applying but found it interesting they were sending out emails like this.

I got a 34 MCAT (12 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)

got ~3.8 gpa but they would have no way of knowing that did not apply to any american schools this cycle, guess just based off mcat score (actually says based off your mcat in email)

Last edited:
My MCAT score is 26 (reason why I'm retaking) and I took it on August 7th. My GPA is on the low end. My stats are way below, that's why I'm kind of suspicious as to why they sent me this email.

My MCAT score is 26 (reason why I'm retaking) and I took it on August 7th. My GPA is on the low end. My stats are way below, that's why I'm kind of suspicious as to why they sent me this email.
I have a 26 with an II at KCUMB. I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
anyone get the email about Accepted Student day? It says it's on Thursday Nov 7th but the 7th is a Friday so anyone know if it's on the 6th or the 7th?

My consideration for matriculation into this school is strongly influenced by that burger

Anyone from the 10/3 interview date receive the email that we were suppose to get after the interview? Like that one email containing links to school info? Supposedly the email containing all the stuff of what would have been in an interview date packet?

Lol I feel like I'm trying so hard to describe this...hope you all know what I'm talking about.....

anyone get the email about Accepted Student day? It says it's on Thursday Nov 7th but the 7th is a Friday so anyone know if it's on the 6th or the 7th?

It will probably be on that Friday. That's how they were last year so people with school and jobs only needed to take one day off and had the weekend to explore the city. That also happens to be my bday, so if you stick around Friday night you might run into some of us out celebrating ;)

Reactions: 2 users
hi all, this is probably a silly question, but I saw on the website that "Letters should be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions by the letter writer and should never be handled by the applicant. If the applicant's school sends the letters on the applicant's behalf to the Office of Admission, that is acceptable as well." - does this mean Interfolio letters arent accepted?? I have all my letters on my Interfolio account.

hi all, this is probably a silly question, but I saw on the website that "Letters should be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions by the letter writer and should never be handled by the applicant. If the applicant's school sends the letters on the applicant's behalf to the Office of Admission, that is acceptable as well." - does this mean Interfolio letters arent accepted?? I have all my letters on my Interfolio account.
Yes, you can use Interfolio.

Will have interview on Oct 15th. Will rent a car to drive from Kansas City airport to hotel on Oct 14th, anyone up for splitting the fee or dinner?

Does anyone (current students included) have a spreadsheet/link that can show me the 4-year tuition cost of KCUMB? I would like to begin comparing schools and couldnt find an exact amount other than the $43,000 for the first year...

Anyone have any insight on getting from the airport to hotels? Staying at 816 and looking for a way down there!