Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any insight on getting from the airport to hotels? Staying at 816 and looking for a way down there!

Two words: Super Shuttle

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any insight on getting from the airport to hotels? Staying at 816 and looking for a way down there!

The Super Shuttle is the best way and costs around 19$+tip from the airport to 816. Also make sure to sign up for the shuttle from the 816 hotel to the KCUMB campus for the interview, when you check into the hotel. If you're looking to go explore or go eat somewhere, the 816 will shuttle you for free anywhere within ~10 miles which is really cool - just ask the receptionist.

Does it seem like this school is giving out similar levels of acceptances to interviews as in years past? I had seen close to 90% acceptance in prior years and based on this thread it appears nearly everyone who interviews gets in...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it seem like this school is giving out similar levels of acceptances to interviews as in years past? I had seen close to 90% acceptance in prior years and based on this thread it appears nearly everyone who interviews gets in...

I don't know about a 90% acceptance rate, but I do feel that their's is pretty high considering they do such a heavy prescreening process. However, you also have to take into consideration that this thread is maybe 10-20% of those applying to KCUMB or any school, and people are often more inclined to post they got accepted over getting waitlisted/rejected. Either way, there's no reason to be nervous at this interview - it was a great experience and overall a really good day! :D

I don't know about a 90% acceptance rate, but I do feel that their's is pretty high considering they do such a heavy prescreening process. However, you also have to take into consideration that this thread is maybe 10-20% of those applying to KCUMB or any school, and people are often more inclined to post they got accepted over getting waitlisted/rejected. Either way, there's no reason to be nervous at this interview - it was a great experience and overall a really good day! :D

It's probably closer to 80%, with the earlier the better.

Kcumb emailed last week to ask if I were planning to take biochem. Think this is an indication they are going to accept me?

Kcumb emailed last week to ask if I were planning to take biochem. Think this is an indication they are going to accept me?
the answer is obviously yes!!! (to taking biochem).

if you say yes, then they say you are accepted... then you may not have to take it. if you say yes and they say you are accepted pending a good grade in biochem... then you are gonna ace biochem and be a student at KCUMB!

Not totally sure, I received an email like this before I was invited to interview. I replied saying "yes I am planning to take biochem at school x" included the course number etc. Then was invited to interview the same day that I received a response saying "thanks for letting me know!" I was subsequently accepted lol, but I just figured everyone who was missing a prerequisite got one of those emails...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not totally sure, I received an email like this before I was invited to interview. I replied saying "yes I am planning to take biochem at school x" included the course number etc. Then was invited to interview the same day that I received a response saying "thanks for letting me know!" I was subsequently accepted lol, but I just figured everyone who was missing a prerequisite got one of those emails...

Yeah not sure...I didn't receive that email until after my interview. Hoping it means good news for me as well!

Reactions: 1 user
accepted today! I literally just joined SDN to ask about anyone from 9/30 getting in and saw I got accepted! I'm over the moon!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi, today I received an invitation email from KCUMB-COM to apply to their school. I was wondering if anyone else received this email. Below is the email they sent me. Is it worth it to apply? I am a student from Northeast US. I am currently planning on retaking my MCATs in January.

Medical School Invitation

Dear _______:

I have some great news for you. Based upon your success on the MCAT, I would like to invite you to apply to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). If you have already applied please click here.

This invitation to apply is being offered to a select group of students who show great potential. Because of this priority status, you can apply immediately via the AACOMAS application. Should you apply no later than October 31, 2014, you will receive the following benefits:

• A fast tracked admission decision, within one week of receipt of your application from AACOMAS, for secondary application consideration.
  • Priority consideration for one of our coveted spots at our Interview Days.
  • Priority consideration for scholarships through our financial aid process.

It's my hope that you will apply today, so that we can learn more about you and start the application review process.

It's my hope that you will continue begin your career in medicine here at Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.

Sincerely,
Dz5AILBNbWHAuizOSBEm0XaFrbaDoySBcsV-BIP0WfprnBiOJFhOcCuzwXon3SFHv-IuFQKa_wLJ3va-1pPZwmEs6wvygPEp1yUW4E_wQQajhZTA4nlwLque4T1cMU04Ij6PSYIp4drx4WMU8kvGF4co31byyOzJmK_pJYg=s0-d-e1-ft

Patricia Harper, M.S., M.S.O.D.
Director of Admissions
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

Work - (816) 654-7160
[email protected]

PS- Apply online, using the AACOMAS application, today.
Copyright © 2014 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in when taking the MCAT test.

Our mailing address is:
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
1750 Independence Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64106

I received the same email back in September. I submitted my primary, but have yet to receive a secondary...

accepted today! I literally just joined SDN to ask about anyone from 9/30 getting in and saw I got accepted! I'm over the moon!

Congrats! I interviewed same day. Did notice come via email?

Anyone know if everyone from same interview day hears about the same time?

This forum gives me too much anxiety haha

Reactions: 1 users
congrats on the acceptances!! Im on my way to the airport for the interview tomorrow. can't wait to see everyone and tour campus!!

Is KCUMB big on primary care? If asked the question what area of medicine do you wish to practice should you give an honest answer or be heavy on primary care?

The DO I was shadowing told me to push primary care. My honest decision right now is that I don't know. I am very sure I want to do an internal medicine residency and then I am not sure if I will go on to pick a sub specialty.

Is KCUMB big on primary care? If asked the question what area of medicine do you wish to practice should you give an honest answer or be heavy on primary care?

The DO I was shadowing told me to push primary care. My honest decision right now is that I don't know. I am very sure I want to do an internal medicine residency and then I am not sure if I will go on to pick a sub specialty.

KCUMB won't push you into anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
This forum gives me too much anxiety haha

Haha, I can see why that would be, but also, I like to see it as the potential class of 2019 for KCUMB (and it's current students on here) already seem to be super friendly and helpful - which cannot be said for other threads I am a part of lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, this thread is one of the friendliest...others seem competitive or reluctant to share info o_O

Just received a "Learn more about KCUMB" email...anyone else receive one of these (today or in the past)?

Wow, i completed in the mid of Sep. Still haven't heard anything. Can u share your stats? @dacas

Complete as in I got the complete email on 10/1, sent secondary on 9/30.

Sure, MCAT 29-31, GPA 3.3-3.5

May I ask how long you have to wait from primary verification until you get the secondary from K-CUMB?

I was told that kcumb applications are up 33% compared to last year as of this time. So congrats to those getting interviews and acceptances!

May I ask how long you have to wait from primary verification until you get the secondary from K-CUMB?
verified 9/19, secondary received 9/25,complete 9/30, complete email 10/1, II 10/13

Congrats! I interviewed same day. Did notice come via email?

Anyone know if everyone from same interview day hears about the same time?

Yup, notice came by email, and I'm pretty sure you got in. if they wanted to know if you plan on taking biochemistry, they must definitely be planning on offering you a seat.

Yup, notice came by email, and I'm pretty sure you got in. if they wanted to know if you plan on taking biochemistry, they must definitely be planning on offering you a seat.

Lets hope so man...I've been pretty down since getting waitlisted by Western last week...would love some good news right about now!

Delays delays delays, I'm having a hell of a time trying to get to Kansas City.

They don't really care what you're going into. Just say that you aren't sure.

I honestly think the best answer you can give to this is that you are going in to it open minded waiting to see what interests you when you are exposed more.

Reactions: 1 users

Be honest At kcumb. Everyone can smell a fake and I don't think that goes with the culture here at kcumb. They want you to be prepared for whatever you decide to do.

Accepted!!!! Interviewed 9/30 accepted 10/14

Reactions: 4 users
waitlisted. interviewed 9/30.

I cant f'ing believe this. I'm now 2 for 2 with waitlists...here and at Western Pomona. I'm a non-trad with significant interview experience, on both sides of the table...I know I interview well. I don't know what the hell is going on but I'm absolutely crushed yet again....

Accepted 10/14! Interviewed 9/24.

Reactions: 2 users