Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the later you apply the longer it takes because things tend to fill up

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not seeing as many surgery matches as I would have liked.

This doesn't have anything to do with the school; it has everything to do with your performance. Get average board scores (USMLE) and good clinical scores, have some ECs, research helps, pre-clinical grades eh whatever, and bam competitive for mid-tier surgery residencies.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. You will get a good education.

This doesn't have anything to do with the school; it has everything to do with your performance. Get average board scores (USMLE) and good clinical scores, have some ECs, research helps, pre-clinical grades eh whatever, and bam competitive for mid-tier surgery residencies.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. You will get a good education.
Doesn't have ANYTHING to do with it? I know it is very individual based but I would imagine having good teachers that teach well and having clinical core sites that expose you to those in your desired field would be important.
I really don't know though. I'm just a first year here and I do have every bit of confidence that how I'm learning the material here will make me as prepared as I can be on test day.
I think there were like 8 ortho matches last year and I only saw 4 this year and just as many general surgery matches. I'm just hoping it is a personal thing and not an over saturation of DO students from the increasing class sizes and new schools.

Doesn't have ANYTHING to do with it? I know it is very individual based but I would imagine having good teachers that teach well and having clinical core sites that expose you to those in your desired field would be important.
I really don't know though. I'm just a first year here and I do have every bit of confidence that how I'm learning the material here will make me as prepared as I can be on test day.
I think there were like 8 ortho matches last year and I only saw 4 this year and just as many general surgery matches. I'm just hoping it is a personal thing and not an over saturation of DO students from the increasing class sizes and new schools.

What I am getting at (I just talked about this recently in another thread) is that you are responsible for making sure you get to where you want to be. You're not going to remember that brilliant CHF lecture a year and a half later when it comes up on boards, but CHF will come back to you when you are reviewing it in DIT or First Aid 6 weeks out from Step 1. Don't rely on the curriculum, match lists, good/bad quality of your teachers and preceptors. You will be given everything you need to succeed no matter where you go, but it is on you to get that 250 to make sure you get into ortho or whatever it is you want to do. If you don't get a 250 and you know that's what you needed, you can't blame match lists or whatever for not matching. Have to type in a hurry as I'm on IM right now, but I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user
What I am getting at (I just talked about this recently in another thread) is that you are responsible for making sure you get to where you want to be. You're not going to remember that brilliant CHF lecture a year and a half later when it comes up on boards, but CHF will come back to you when you are reviewing it in DIT or First Aid 6 weeks out from Step 1. Don't rely on the curriculum, match lists, good/bad quality of your teachers and preceptors. You will be given everything you need to succeed no matter where you go, but it is on you to get that 250 to make sure you get into ortho or whatever it is you want to do. If you don't get a 250 and you know that's what you needed, you can't blame match lists or whatever for not matching. Have to type in a hurry as I'm on IM right now, but I hope that makes sense.
That totally makes sense. Especially for people that are to really smart and self motivated.

Well got another email from Ms. Harper. Looks like I'll be applying here after all!

Hey everyone, are there any 3rd or 4th years here that have commented on the clinical rotations at KC? Perhaps on any other threads? It would be nice to get an idea on opinions from those who have gone through (or going through) the rotations.

I've been accepted here and just trying to do all the research I can on order to make a sound decision. Thanks!

to be honest I think with the good board scores you see from stats, you have all the cards in your hands to specialize. I seriously think it's student preference over anything.

^ I wonder the same thing about myself!

My interviewer and I spent a good 10 minutes discussing the Victorian practice of making decorative wreaths from dead peoples' hair. I told him that Dr. Dubin said the interview was designed to make sure we're not too weird, and my interviewer said he'd keep that part of our conversation "on the down-low". :laugh:

Me and my interviewer spent a good portion of the interview talking about Kansas City BBQ :) He kept going on about the brisket

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, are there any 3rd or 4th years here that have commented on the clinical rotations at KC? Perhaps on any other threads? It would be nice to get an idea on opinions from those who have gone through (or going through) the rotations.

I've been accepted here and just trying to do all the research I can on order to make a sound decision. Thanks!

Every hospital and preceptor will be different and there are quite a few hospitals. This is probably going to be the same for all DO schools. My core site was laid back for the most part, but some sites really kick your ass.

to be honest I think with the good board scores you see from stats, you have all the cards in your hands to specialize. I seriously think it's student preference over anything.

Nailed it. I am aiming for heme/onc, but have to do IM first of course. I've got a decent amount of university invites with average USMLE scores. Some residencies may be out of reach (eg Drexel doesn't accept DO candidates lol. Get over yourself, but thats another disuccsion), but you can get into pretty much anything you want. Hell a DO matched derm at mayo in the past couple years. As stated, its all USMLE scores and personal desire.

Me and my interviewer spent a good portion of the interview talking about Kansas City BBQ :) He kept going on about the brisket

Oklahoma Joe's. Every other barbecue joint is just not as good. The line out the door and around the building speaks for itself.

Reactions: 1 users
Received interview invitation email today!!! Woohoo! Now, to find the money to fly and lodge in K.C. ...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
nope :'( I was figuring we would find out this week. But I've been wrong every time I've expected something. Any guess? :p

It looks like most people have been finding out 19-21 days after interviewing. I'm betting we hear next week.

its funny though - some heard back 4 days later so it's anywhere in between that

Congrats too all those who've been accepted. My interview is on 11/11! I'd like to make a friend or two before going to the interview so please let me know if you are interviewing on the same day :)
I interview 11/11 too!

Interviewed 10/8 and found out I was waitlisted 10/27. I wonder if the acceptance rate includes people who are given acceptances off the waitlist or not...

Interviewed 10/8 and found out I was waitlisted 10/27. I wonder if the acceptance rate includes people who are given acceptances off the waitlist or not...

I believe it typically does include waitlist acceptances. Congrats on OU though, job well done :)

I think in the medical school game, acceptance anywhere is amazing. The question is how much WL activity happens at this school :shifty:

I think in the medical school game, acceptance anywhere is amazing. The question is how much WL activity happens at this school :shifty:

Seems we've been placed on WL at a couple similar schools - here and Western. I wonder what the odds of getting ANY acceptance are for those who are on 3+ waitlists...

I got rejected at Western. But it was for the best - I did NOT want to go there after I interviewed.

Seems we've been placed on WL at a couple similar schools - here and Western. I wonder what the odds of getting ANY acceptance are for those who are on 3+ waitlists...

well they are independent events, so you just add the odds all together to get the overall chance (;) stats nerd)

I got rejected at Western. But it was for the best - I did NOT want to go there after I interviewed.

AW SNAP somebody got a profile pic!

well they are independent events, so you just add the odds all together to get the overall chance (;) stats nerd)

AW SNAP somebody got a profile pic!

and those odds you speak of...

wish i knew!

tbh math is so much more straightforward than the MCAT... the MCAT is like trying to find a piece of hay in a needle-stack. Apparently the Comlex is a similar test. Better start the march to Mordor now...

So I called afmissions and they said they will be deciding on everyone who interviewed 10/14 on monday.

I got accepted a while back, and have made my decision to matriculate here! Looking fore-ward to starting, and getting to meet some of you!

Reactions: 6 users
Since I'm set on attending here, how beneficial would it be going to acceptance day?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Since I'm set on attending here, how beneficial would it be going to acceptance day?

Posted using SDN Mobile

A majority of the stuff mentioned on acceptance day is presented again during orientation. They give out free stuff like t-shirts and size you for your coat. You won't really be missing much.

It's a really good opportunity to check out apartments in the area! Make sure you make appointments in advance to see places like quality hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A majority of the stuff mentioned on acceptance day is presented again during orientation. They give out free stuff like t-shirts and size you for your coat. You won't really be missing much.

It's a really good opportunity to check out apartments in the area! Make sure you make appointments in advance to see places like quality hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any other apartment recommendations?

I am interviewing here later next month! Does this thread contain any more information as to what I can expect at interview day? Any accepted candidates willing to share their experience?

I am kind of excited about the school--one of the physicians I work with just finished her schooling at KCUMB 4 years ago (she is fresh out of residency). While she loved the school, she said many of her colleagues did not match for residency. Can anybody speak to the truth in that?

Last edited:
So I interviewed on 10/3 and just found out I was wait listed which really sucks because I really liked this school and really wanted to go here. Does anyone have any advice on how to go from a wait list to acceptance here? If any current students have any thought that would be great. Or is this waitlist just the kiss of death?

I am interviewing here later next month? Does this thread contain any more information as to what I can expect at interview day? Any accepted candidates willing to share their experience?

I am kind of excited about the school--one of the physicians I work with just finished her schooling at KCUMB 4 years ago (she is fresh out of residency). While she loved the school, she said many of her colleagues did not match for residency. Can anybody speak to the truth in that?

According to their website, KCUMB has had a 100% match rate for the past three years...? Maybe they didn't get their first choice? But I'm assuming they all matched somewhere...

According to their website, KCUMB has had a 100% match rate for the past three years...? Maybe they didn't get their first choice? But I'm assuming they all matched somewhere...

Word! Maybe she meant first choice.

It's always possible that a few that year didn't match. I think the national average for DO schools is like 95-97%, so that would mean a school the size of kcumb could have up to 8-10 people not match......But that was 4 years ago, which means their pre clinical training would have started 8 years ago. A LOT has changed since then.

This new curriculum will give you the tools to succeed! If you put in the work, and learn to use those tools, you'll be fine

Also, remember that often a lot of people over reach during the match and then scramble, and still become board certified physicians .

KCUMB is a great school. If you come here, you'll be well taken care of :)

Reactions: 6 users
I am interviewing here later next month! Does this thread contain any more information as to what I can expect at interview day? Any accepted candidates willing to share their experience?

Interviewed here yesterday. It was incredible. This new dean knows how to present the school. Their number one focus is to help students achieve their interests whatever you want to go into. The way theyre going to do that is help students get the best board scores possible with the new curriculum. They are telling us that its going to get harder to get into a residency each year because the number of medical school matriculants is increasing but the number of residencies isnt. Thats why they said its super important to get high board scores since that is the number one thing residencies look at. They also reward scholarships for students who score high on their boards and have high med school gpa. If I get accepted here im withdrawing all my other interviews and applications for sure. I was last to interview and waited with the student ambassadors for 2 hours before my turn came. The admissions staff and students are the nicest I've seen at any school so far and my interview was very laid back. He didnt ask me any specific questions just how did you like your undergrad, explain your research, and what youve learned from volunteering.

And let me just say I didn't know a "ton" about KCUMB before coming but it was super impressive and made me change where I picture myself 4 years from now (which wasn't there tbh). The new dean seems like he is going to really help KCUMB's students to get what they want (whatever specialty or residency). I also love Kansas City. I seriously will be so bummed if I get waitlisted or rejected.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else dying now, knowing we have to wait almost a year to start haha. Getting antsy already.

Reactions: 4 users
Wait so youre telling me after I die waiting to find out. Then I die waiting to start. Then I die from studying. Then I die in my residency and then ill die?

Reactions: 3 users
So I got an interview... and then a few days later I get this letter from KCUMB:

"According to your application you are one hour short in biochemistry. KCUMB requires you to have completed three hours of biochemistry before you can matriculate."

I took a 3-unit biochem class that was offered at my University of California school as part of my major--apparently that is not enough to satisfy this requirement. Have any of you received this email? How do I find a 1-unit biochem class to satisfy this outstanding requirement? It seems like its asking a lot to take a complete semester of biochem all over again--it would essentially be retaking the class I have already taken, which seems a bit absurd to me for the outstanding 1 unit unsatisfied.

So I got an interview... and then a few days later I get this letter from KCUMB:

"According to your application you are one hour short in biochemistry. KCUMB requires you to have completed three hours of biochemistry before you can matriculate."

I took a 3-unit biochem class that was offered at my University of California school as part of my major--apparently that is not enough to satisfy this requirement. Have any of you received this email? How do I find a 1-unit biochem class to satisfy this outstanding requirement? It seems like its asking a lot to take a complete semester of biochem all over again--it would essentially be retaking the class I have already taken, which seems a bit absurd to me for the outstanding 1 unit unsatisfied.

have you asked them why your 3 credit biochem class doesn't count?

what does it say on your AACOMAS app? that is strange, but you probably wouldn't be able to find a 1 credit biochem class unless it was like a spec and sep lab or something similar.

I'm guessing you were on a quarter system correct? Quarter units are not equivalent to semester credits. 3 quarter hours = 2 credits hours.
From AACOMAS (sorry for janky format):
Quarter HoursSemester Hours
1 = 0.7
2 = 1.3
3 = 2.0
4 = 2.7
5 = 3.3
6 = 4.0
7 = 4.7
8 = 5.3
9 = 6.0
10 = 6.7