Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for those of you in KC:

What have you been wearing recently? Coats or thick jacket? Winter boots, hats, winter scarfs, mittens yet?

I looked at the temperature/weather, and it seems pretty warm...but then I don't think I am gauging this right...(Never been down south)

This past week the weather has taken a dive. It's pretty cold and the forecast is predicting it will be staying in the 30s for the next two weeks. Next Wednesday (far out, I know) they are calling for snow. So it took a long time for winter to get here, but its hitting with a vengeance.

So yes, we have all been bundling up. Especially seeing as it was 68 degrees yesterday.

Members don't see this ad.

It went from ~68 degrees to highs of ~30s and lows of ~20s.

I'm from the south so this is definitely a new experience for me.

Reactions: 1 user
All the weather talk on here kinda makes me chuckle.. I just had 20+ inches of snow dumped in my town in the last 36 hours.:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still trying to get over the fact that it's 55 degrees in Florida right now and that's pretty chilly for me lol. But I'm also super excited to get actual winter clothes! =P

I wear shorts and sandals 365 days a year...Guess I'm gonna have to buy a jacket

Sigh... Wait listed from the 11/5 interview :(. I did not expect to hear back so fast from admissions. Thought my interview went okay. Really wanted to go to school here. Is the admissions office receptive to letters of intent? Does the wait list get any movement?

Accepted!!

Complete - 09/17
Interview Day - 10/23

Stats: 3.89/3.85/26

Research, lots of EC, hopefully good/great LOR.

Reactions: 2 users
hmmm....looks like i will be bringing a fall coat and light duty boots. HCMVresearcher are you from the midwest or canada and above?

hmmm....looks like i will be bringing a fall coat and light duty boots. HCMVresearcher are you from the midwest or canada and above?

I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan... pretty darn close to Canada. I think our total snowfall was around 30 inches from snowstorm Astro. We got two snow days from school though!

Hey guys, How did they notify you about your acceptance? Email? Congrats! Interviewed Oct 23rd and haven't heard anything. :confused:

Hey guys, How did they notify you about your acceptance? Email? Congrats! Interviewed Oct 23rd and haven't heard anything. :confused:
10/23 too and nothing here

Members don't see this ad :)

I got an email and then a hard copy of the letter in the mail about a week later. Hopefully you'll hear something soon!

I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan... pretty darn close to Canada. I think our total snowfall was around 30 inches from snowstorm Astro. We got two snow days from school though!
Oh wow, I am up in AK and no snow yet! I think winter bypassed us and went straight to you guys

I got an email and then a hard copy of the letter in the mail about a week later. Hopefully you'll hear something soon!

Same, I got an email this morning with the decision. It stated that more information about matriculation will be on its way in the next few days (via email).

Also, I remember on interview day someone from the adcom told us that they would also send a hard copy of the acceptance letter in the mail, so just going to wait for that!

Around this time last year was when I got my acceptance letter. I almost threw it away because it was so thin. I thought it was a rejection for sure. All my friends had gotten their acceptance letters 2-3 days earlier.

I'm glad I took the extra time to open it up. I have never teared up in my life the way I did at that moment.

Reactions: 6 users
Sigh... Wait listed from the 11/5 interview :(. I did not expect to hear back so fast from admissions. Thought my interview went okay. Really wanted to go to school here. Is the admissions office receptive to letters of intent? Does the wait list get any movement?
it's not that I like this, but I'm on the same boat. thought my interview went okay too.

Hey so I was told that I am missing 4 hours of biology here, but my university only does Gen Bio 1 and 2 for a total of 8 hours. Where do the other 4 come from??

Hey so I was told that I am missing 4 hours of biology here, but my university only does Gen Bio 1 and 2 for a total of 8 hours. Where do the other 4 come from??
You have to take an upper-level Bio. A+P, microbiology, etc.

... My last semester is next one, I have biochem next semester, how will I have time for that? lol

... My last semester is next one, I have biochem next semester, how will I have time for that? lol
Yeah, that's tough. I graduated last year, so I'm just going to take it at a cc in the winter if I need to. Maybe try to get it done in the summer?

Taking A and P with biochem and abnormal psychobiology is gonna be VERY difficult.

Accepted today, very excited

OOS: Arkansas
MCAT: 30
cumulative GPA: 3.94
scGPA: 3.75
2 LORs, lots of ECs, only 30 hours shadowing
Interviewed 10/23

Good luck to everyone else applying!

Reactions: 6 users
II Today, scheduled my interview for December 9th.

I would say it is super powerpoint heavy. I have only been studying from slides with
some supplementation with FA and have been getting As on tests. I thought we were really going to have to read but I am not so sure anymore, maybe later when material gets more and more crazy.
This made me come of as a douche I'm sure but I am kinda annoyed how they were pressing so hard for us to get books because that "was the only way to get As."
This is good to hear. Seems like they arent giving yall a ton of time to digest the material. That only gets worse if you have to dig through chapters of books every night. I dig the whole powerpoint thing.

Reactions: 1 users
This is good to hear. Seems like they arent giving yall a ton of time to digest the material. That only gets worse if you have to dig through chapters of books every night. I dig the whole powerpoint thing.

Med school will be like this wherever you go. Be able to study from outside sources if the professor sucks or the powerpoints don't make sense. Personally I don't just memorize information to throw up on a test. I try to learn and integrate it from various sources so the concept sticks in my head. It takes longer but I want my money's worth from the experience.

Some students are smarter than me and get it from just the powerpoints.

Heck, I used Marian's cardio page to learn a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Med school will be like this wherever you go. Be able to study from outside sources if the professor sucks or the powerpoints don't make sense. Personally I don't just memorize information to throw up on a test. I try to learn and integrate it from various sources so the concept sticks in my head. It takes longer but I want my money's worth from the experience.

Some students are smarter than me and get it from just the powerpoints.

Heck, I used Marian's cardio page to learn a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel concepts are huge and if they are understood they stick in my brain a lot more. It is definitely easy to get lost in the details. Totally did that in immunology hah.

I would say it is super powerpoint heavy. I have only been studying from slides with
some supplementation with FA and have been getting As on tests. I thought we were really going to have to read but I am not so sure anymore, maybe later when material gets more and more crazy.
This made me come of as a douche I'm sure but I am kinda annoyed how they were pressing so hard for us to get books because that "was the only way to get As."

Are those A's pre- or post-curve. Just curious as I hit the same percentage +/- .5% every. single. section.

In the beginning it was post curve. With this physio/anatomy stuff I have been doing a lot better with As precurve. I am more comfortable with this stuff as it is more intuitive.

Are those A's pre- or post-curve. Just curious as I hit the same percentage +/- .5% every. single. section.
Also, how are you studying and does it change section to section?

Also, how are you studying and does it change section to section?
I do change section to section. I know part of it is time management, and embryo :vomit:, but I had no business getting anything lower than an A- in anatomy. I usually draw flow charts/write out concepts multiple times. I feel like it sticks better when I write it, and I can't use flashcards. I take as much time per lecture as I need. I can't do that whole '1 hour per lecture' thing. I'm also trying to take more practice quizzes now, but haven't really started on that too much yet.

How ya like the embryo vomit on Monday? Sooo painful. But I have been going less and less to class and am finally getting more confident that I can learn the material just fine without going to lecture. There are a few I still go to of course. I hear you about the 1hr thing, I seem to do about 2 hrs on 1 hr lecture. I learn it a lot better than going for 1 hr and then doing another 2 hrs playing "what the crap did we just go over for an hour?" Practice questions help a ton. I did a lot of practical questions on the Internet for musculoskeletal.
To be honest, I've been dragging my heels since the last test and need to kick into gear! Hah

Anybody else that interviewed on 11/4 have an email? I interviewed the same day, but I have heard nothing. Now I'm freaking out. Have they been sending the acceptances before the rejections this year? dasklfjlsjfjaewio.

Anybody else that interviewed on 11/4 have an email? I interviewed the same day, but I have heard nothing. Now I'm freaking out. Have they been sending the acceptances before the rejections this year? dasklfjlsjfjaewio.

Patti let us know that the order of admissions are basically withheld. For example many of my fellow interviewees were accepted within 3 days of interview. I was accepted 7 days post-interview. Just hang on tight!

Okay thank you! It seems odd to have no real order lol

It's been 21 days since my interview. Others who interviewed after me and got accepted already. Hope i would hear from adcom soon. Hate this waiting game. :confused:

So my application was released to them on 10/9/14. I haven't been sent a secondary yet (30 MCAT, 3.7 GPA). I e-mailed them the beginning of this month and I was told "Currently your application is with the director for review." I've already received an interview invite from KCOM and I have yet to be sent a secondary application invite from KCUMB.

Anybody have any advice? I know this process is uncertain, but I don't understand what problem KCUMB sees in my application that no other school has had a problem with.