Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just interviewed today and absolutely loved the school! Great atmosphere and all of the facilities are awesome

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do letters of rec and the form need to be in to be considered complete?

I felt sorry for you guys walking around on campus with suits on while it's like 30 degrees outside.
My interview was in September and it was in the 90s in KC and extremely humid. I kind of think that was worse lol

Reactions: 1 user
My interview was in September and it was in the 90s in KC and extremely humid. I kind of think that was worse lol

I wonder if that's the worst it will get in terms of humidity. The heat/humidity in NOLA was insane so I think KC will be fairly tolerable.

Hahahaha. This is all so great that you guys think it is/was humid there because when I came back to Florida after my interview in September, I had a sore throat from how dry it was in Missouri in comparison to the humidity here =P

Hahahaha. This is all so great that you guys think it is/was humid there because when I came back to Florida after my interview in September, I had a sore throat from how dry it was in Missouri in comparison to the humidity here =P
I'm actually from Maryland which is very humid too (not as humid as Florida, of course) but I guess it must go Florida > Midwest > Maryland in terms of humidity.

I'm actually from Maryland which is very humid too (not as humid as Florida, of course) but I guess it must go Florida > Midwest > Maryland in terms of humidity.

More like Florida >>>>>>> Midwest > Maryland haha. And that's year round. Even when it's "cold" here, we still have high percentages of humidity ;)

Yea I am from Maryland originally as well. It is my impression upon talking to lots of people at KCUMB that the weather is almost identical to MD. They get a solid 4 seasons, more ice than snow (because it will warm up enough during the day to melt some and then refreeze at night - just like MD). Then they get humid summers and beautiful falls and springs. Heck if you even just look at a map, KC it is like directly level with DC and Baltimore so I would imagine on that logic alone it is pretty similar.

Having lived in the midwest for the past year (after living in MD my whole life), I would say its like:
Florida >>>>>> MD >/= Midwest.

Dont get me wrong, the summers can still have some humidity in the midwest, but they generally do tend to be a little drier overall. Of the past 2 summers here there was only maybe 2-3 whole weeks of pretty humid days. Compare that to MD and its basically from June-August, every single day. But also I lived near the mountains so we had some of that business there which makes it a hair more humid and more snow.

I am excited about KC because I will be back on MD weather but with an ever so slightly less humid summer, sounds pretty perfect to me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, best hotel suggestions, please.

I stayed in the 816. They suffice and have a shuttle.

My only recommendation is to well... Make sure the room's unit is to your temperature needs. I woke up borderline frozen and need to stand in the shower for half an hour to defrost.?

My only recommendation is to well... Make sure the room's unit is to your temperature needs. I woke up borderline frozen and need to stand in the shower for half an hour to defrost.?

+1 Be sure to walk into the room with a sweater to avoid hypothermia.

How ya like the embryo vomit on Monday? Sooo painful. But I have been going less and less to class and am finally getting more confident that I can learn the material just fine without going to lecture. There are a few I still go to of course. I hear you about the 1hr thing, I seem to do about 2 hrs on 1 hr lecture. I learn it a lot better than going for 1 hr and then doing another 2 hrs playing "what the crap did we just go over for an hour?" Practice questions help a ton. I did a lot of practical questions on the Internet for musculoskeletal.
To be honest, I've been dragging my heels since the last test and need to kick into gear! Hah

I think most people have been dragging their feet because this section just seems a lot easier than our previous ones. Plus they're providing a ton of practice questions, which hopefully will help a lot. I actually didn't go to the embryo lecture, so I have that and the 112 slide lecture to pour through this weekend...I swear I've never wanted to believe in the stork bringing babies as much as I do during embryo lectures.

Anyway, I do try to study 1 hour per lecture. I go thru each lecture's powerpoint twice after class that day (takes about 30 min to read the whole thing once and absorb material) and write out things like pathways if I need to. Otherwise simply reading is enough for me to pass.

Passing isn't a problem, I've had a 70 or better pre-curve for everything other than the first midterm. I'm just frustrated because I'm stuck at the same mid-80s percentage for every section. Which isn't a problem for most sections, but for some sections, like MSK, it's extremely frustrating to be getting that again when I know I should have easily gotten an A post-curve.

It can get humid here, but it's nowhere near as bad as coastal cities or places like Chicago that are right on the lake. NOLA is by far the most humid place I've ever been/lived. I didn't think it was possible to literally be wet, not moist, from sitting outside for 5 minutes when it wasn't raining until I lived there in July.

+1 Be sure to walk into the room with a sweater to avoid hypothermia.

Thankfully I am a polar bear (and a semi-local, it is a couple hour drive to KC) lol. Have to sleep in the cold with cuddly blankets. Plus, in a suit, don't have to worry as much about leg hair growing from the temperature! Besides, it's in the teens now, it's bound to get even colder with snow by then... Actually, anyone know how people have dealt with interviews in snowy places before? Big coats must wrinkle suits something terrible. And snow boots... Think there would be a place to store or should those be left at home entirely?

I think most people have been dragging their feet because this section just seems a lot easier than our previous ones. Plus they're providing a ton of practice questions, which hopefully will help a lot. I actually didn't go to the embryo lecture, so I have that and the 112 slide lecture to pour through this weekend...I swear I've never wanted to believe in the stork bringing babies as much as I do during embryo lectures.

Passing isn't a problem, I've had a 70 or better pre-curve for everything other than the first midterm. I'm just frustrated because I'm stuck at the same mid-80s percentage for every section. Which isn't a problem for most sections, but for some sections, like MSK, it's extremely frustrating to be getting that again when I know I should have easily gotten an A post-curve.

It can get humid here, but it's nowhere near as bad as coastal cities or places like Chicago that are right on the lake. NOLA is by far the most humid place I've ever been/lived. I didn't think it was possible to literally be wet, not moist, from sitting outside for 5 minutes when it wasn't raining until I lived there in July.

So, how 'hard' is it to pass? haha

Okay, so I am trying to plan a wedding in 2016 on a break. Does anyone know if summer break includes June?

I would say no. I'm getting married in 2015, and was told that we have classes scheduled until around mid June and our summer break will essentially be the month of July for year 1.

Depends on the person and the section. I know people that struggle to get C's every section. Others got easy(ish) A's in one section and barely passed another. I also know people who score above average on everything and make it seem easy. I find it very easy to pass with the curve and usually without it. I typically go to every lecture and usually put in around 25 extra study hours per week outside of class, so I put in a solid amount of work but am definitely not a gunner. At least not in my study habits and lifestyle, haha.

Okay, do you think this will be the same for 2016? Would a mid-end July wedding be a safe bet?

I would think so. I believe our summer is scheduled to start June 27 and school starts back up August 10th, or sometime around there. I'm guessing they'll do the same thing for next year's class as well. I know a girl in our class is doing a July wedding next summer and one of the deans said she would be fine.

Our MSK midterm had an average of 80% and the final was something like 76%. Everything gets rounded up to 85%.

That means on the final you could have gotten a 67% and barely passed. It's not a safe position to be in but you make it through.

Getting an A requires quite a bit of work.

Non-exam weeks are like taking a ~21-25 credit course load and exam week is like finals week. Now imagine finals week every other week.

This block is REALLY weird compared to the previous one. In MSK we had like 14 pages of structures but now we have only 2 pages with less strict rules on spelling. I have a feeling the average for this practical will be pretty high.

We also have a lax week before the final which is weird. Having 2-3 days before a final was a luxury. Now we have an entire week to study and review material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I think I'm going to book at the Harrah's outside Kansas City and take a shuttle or taxi to the campus on 12/11.

Hey so if I'm interested in living in Century Towers, when should I start signing up for it? On the fb page someone said by the end of fall semester, otherwise you won't get a spot?

I don't live at CT. I know the waitlist for rooms starts early so the earlier the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you liking it so far? What are some of the pros/cons you see in it?

Personally for me it seems like the best fit since I like repetition while I'm learning. I also like to learn the basic foundation before moving to the pathology.

In year 1 we have the normal anatomy/physiology and in year 2 we will go over everything again with the pathology.

Some other schools have 2-3 tests per week and that would have been too intense for me. I would always be cramming for the next exam.

I don't really like the fact that our PEP week was taken away and we have filler classes. I would rather spend more time learning CP or Immuno instead of reading bioethics articles or writing papers.

Since this is the first class with the new curriculum there have been a few hiccups but nothing major. Hopefully it will be better for the c/2019

For me the pros outweighed the cons so I chose KCUMB and don't regret it.

Do you know how next semester's PEP week is supposed to look?

A lot of people voiced concerns to the focus group about the last BS PEP week we had. Rumor is that we will be having a proper PEP week next year.

The 2nd years had an entire 2 weeks off between blocks. I can't even imagine having a 2 week break right now.

I understand medical school is hard but taking away breaks and having back to back blocks is crazy.

A lot of people voiced concerns to the focus group about the last BS PEP week we had. Rumor is that we will be having a proper PEP week next year.

The 2nd years had an entire 2 weeks off between blocks. I can't even imagine having a 2 week break right now.

I understand medical school is hard but taking away breaks and having back to back blocks is crazy.

Would you mind explaining what the PEP week is supposed to be? I understand you had bs classes this semester but is it supposed to be like a mid-semester break?

Would you mind explaining what the PEP week is supposed to be? I understand you had bs classes this semester but is it supposed to be like a mid-semester break?

I believe in previous years it was downtime with no required classes. Students could shadow, help out the community, take electives and stuff. Some 2nd years told me they went home for a week to relax and then do minor stuff the 2nd week.

I believe in previous years it was downtime with no required classes. Students could shadow, help out the community, take electives and stuff. Some 2nd years told me they went home for a week to relax and then do minor stuff the 2nd week.

Basically this ^^^

There used to be a requirement that we complete 8 elective credits by the end of 2nd year and there were something like 30 different random classes you could take that were 1 or 2 credits. Stuff like aerospace medicine, forensic pathology, wilderness medicine, Medical Spanish, research methods, etc. You could take those classes during PEP weeks, or you could use them to shadow or do other things like Chizled said. A lot of students basically just used them as vacation weeks. For us, they got rid of the elective requirements since our curriculum is so packed anyway. Then they got rid of PEP week because the administration supposedly got some nasty e-mails from past classes basically saying 1 week wasn't enough to learn anything or visit home (which is ridiculous). So they just got rid of them altogether. Hopefully they will bring them back, because as much as a lot of us like the curriculum I can see some major burnout happening if we don't get adequate breaks.

Basically this ^^^

There used to be a requirement that we complete 8 elective credits by the end of 2nd year and there were something like 30 different random classes you could take that were 1 or 2 credits. Stuff like aerospace medicine, forensic pathology, wilderness medicine, Medical Spanish, research methods, etc. You could take those classes during PEP weeks, or you could use them to shadow or do other things like Chizled said. A lot of students basically just used them as vacation weeks. For us, they got rid of the elective requirements since our curriculum is so packed anyway. Then they got rid of PEP week because the administration supposedly got some nasty e-mails from past classes basically saying 1 week wasn't enough to learn anything or visit home (which is ridiculous). So they just got rid of them altogether. Hopefully they will bring them back, because as much as a lot of us like the curriculum I can see some major burnout happening if we don't get adequate breaks.

What the hell? What type of crap is that?

I wish I could take forensic pathology or aerospace medicine even if it was only for 1 week.

Reactions: 3 users
Basically this ^^^

Yeah the no break really did a number on me....I hit a wall right after midterm in MSK and am just now getting back my groove. We needed a break.

Yea, there were a couple of classes I really wanted to take, but unfortunately I don't think they exist anymore :/ Hopefully they will bring PEP weeks back though. I'm sure we'll all be needing one sooner or later.

How often do you guys get exams? And how do you guys prepare for exams? Like what other outside resources do you use

This may be an odd question. But does Missouri require you to switch your car's tags to their state? How about driver's licenses? Do I need to redo the test or do I just come in and get a new MO one?

So, this may have been asked before, so I apologize if I burden you guys with it again- but what are the percentages of people who get IIs who get accepted?

So, this may have been asked before, so I apologize if I burden you guys with it again- but what are the percentages of people who get IIs who get accepted?
I don't remember the exact numbers but it's around 70-80%. That includes acceptances and alternate list.

How often do you guys get exams? And how do you guys prepare for exams? Like what other outside resources do you use

About once every 2 weeks for the core classes and then you will have other exams thrown in every few weeks like Osteopathic Skills and Principles of Clinical Medicine.

This may be an odd question. But does Missouri require you to switch your car's tags to their state? How about driver's licenses? Do I need to redo the test or do I just come in and get a new MO one?

I don't think you need to change your plates or tags.

Well the 80% figure is for those who get an interview. There probably isn't a very accurate acceptance rate out there for secondaries because its dependent on a lot of factors, like how many applicants there are and the range of stats they're seeing at the time.

About once every 2 weeks for the core classes and then you will have other exams thrown in every few weeks like Osteopathic Skills and Principles of Clinical Medicine.

I don't think you need to change your plates or tags.

So you're using your original state's tags on your car? In my state you have to change then within 3 months of moving into your domicile.

Well the 80% figure is for those who get an interview. There probably isn't a very accurate acceptance rate out there for secondaries because its dependent on a lot of factors, like how many applicants there are and the range of stats they're seeing at the time.
II = interview invite, not secondaries