Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahaha. Me either....where is dr Karius' iBook?! Blargh!!!

Wow, you're right. She mentioned in her lecture that it would be up on Friday and it's still not up yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone who has sent in their deposit...do they send you a email saying that they received it?

Yes, I got one about 1-2 weeks after I sent in my deposit. It's a short e-mail stating that they received it, that your seat is saved and a reminder about the second $1,000.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have health insurance through work...how are you supposed to get health insurance if you aren't going to have a job anymore?

Private health insurance company.

Yeah, but how do you pay for that without a job? And can you get private health insurance for 3-4 months or do you have to have it for a year?

Your student loans, I'd guess.....

And you can pay your premium monthly and cancel whenever you want. At least that's how it was at the company I worked for before I started school.

Haha no but my fiancé is going to be working so I can get on her insurance.

Gotcha. Well depending on when you would be on her plan, you might not need to sign up for your own at all. They just recently asked for proof of insurance from a lot of us.

Anyone interviewing on Thursday?

Saxappeal, we meet again! We were in the June 21, 2014 MCAT thread. I remember your encouragement there, so thanks for that.

I will be interviewing on Tuesday!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it was research day where we had guest speakers. It's one of the few times attendance and appropriate dress was required.

They're obviously not going to post a picture of a normal day when we look like crackheads in sweatpants.

With all those orange water bottles that's gotta be orientation...and do I spot a chizld in there??

Actually, that would have been the week after Immunology and the first week of MSK.

Every block gets harder and harder. Looking back, that block doesn't seem so bad anymore. Now we have 5 finals in 2 weeks.

The MS2 guys have 70 lectures going into their final. That's just insane. I have no idea how they do it but I guess I'll find out next year.

You forget the MS2s have finals every 6 weeks instead of 4 though. I think our pace is actually pretty similar to theirs right now. I mean, we typically have 35ish lectures per section + labs, which second years are done with. So I really don't think next year will be too much crazier if at all.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was wanted a couple of opinions about caring for a dog during medical school. I had dogs growing up, and haven't had one since I started undergrad so I thought about getting one once I got to Kansas City. It sound like most apartments in the area allow you to have one or two small dogs, and I figured I would adopt a slightly older dog that wouldn't need as much attention. Do any current students on here have dogs, and if so, how do you deal with leaving them home all day?

I do, and he' a butthead, but he's great. I live near downtown, so I go home for lunch to walk him every day. I also have a fiancee who can be with him at night, so that's not a problem. If you're going to be living alone and far from campus it could be a problem, but most things are manageable if you're organized and realistic about your time and goals.

So I know this question gets asked a lot amongst premeds and on SDN, but I was just wondering if anyone had any specific insights about KCUMB. I have been accepted for class of 2019, and am wondering what would happen if my academic performance dropped for my last two semesters of undergrad? Most people say as long as you don't get below a "C" then schools don't care, but does anyone know anything specific about KCUMB? Do they reconsider your application if you don't maintain certain GPA?

So I know this question gets asked a lot amongst premeds and on SDN, but I was just wondering if anyone had any specific insights about KCUMB. I have been accepted for class of 2019, and am wondering what would happen if my academic performance dropped for my last two semesters of undergrad? Most people say as long as you don't get below a "C" then schools don't care, but does anyone know anything specific about KCUMB? Do they reconsider your application if you don't maintain certain GPA?

They won't care. As long as you finish any pre-reqs you still have to complete and don't fail anything you're good. However, if you're being smart and taking biochem or immuno to prepare you for fall of year one (hint hint), I'd try and get as much as you could out of those classes and don't just blow them off.

Reactions: 1 users
They won't care. As long as you finish any pre-reqs you still have to complete and don't fail anything you're good. However, if you're being smart and taking biochem or immuno to prepare you for fall of year one (hint hint), I'd try and get as much as you could out of those classes and don't just blow them off.

+1

Taking biochem and immuno will make your life MUCH easier.

It was a tough decision but I'm withdrawing my acceptance here. Good luck everyone! :)

Would it be more beneficial to live in Missouri than Kansas for legal reasons? Some places I like are in Kansas, but I don't want it to mess me up for anything. Idk why it would but maybe there is something I don't know.

How much time after you interview will you find out if you were accepted? When does the admissions committee meet?

Anyone interviewing this week that wants to explore the town or perhaps grab a bite to eat? In hotel 816. Message me if you're down.

Would it be more beneficial to live in Missouri than Kansas for legal reasons? Some places I like are in Kansas, but I don't want it to mess me up for anything. Idk why it would but maybe there is something I don't know.

I live on the kansas side. The only part that is weird that I know of is that if you live in Kansas but work in Missouri (my husband) then you have some weird thing you have to do on state income taxes.

Just got home from KC. Really enjoyed my interview day! The facilities were fine, but man, the people is what makes me want to go to KCUMB!! Saw briefly Osteopera's performance :) I was surprised by the turnout because finals...but that was so cool!

The ambassador of the small tour group I was in was also super nice. Actually, I got pretty good vibes from the other interviewees too! There was tension at first, but once we got to lunch the conversations were great! I would like to be classmates with these people :D Campus is not big but kinda homey. Surrounding areas kinda sketch but not too bad compared to Chicago or NYC. The OMT classroom is my favorite room: new tables, lots of space, kind of like a loft. Cafeteria is small, but the student center building with the coffee shop is pretty awesome (also found workout place downstairs!).

Interview itself was kinda meh :(
I wish I didn't say somethings and said somethings. Oh well...now the wait...

Just got home from KC. Really enjoyed my interview day! The facilities were fine, but man, the people is what makes me want to go to KCUMB!! Saw briefly Osteopera's performance :) I was surprised by the turnout because finals...but that was so cool!

The ambassador of the small tour group I was in was also super nice. Actually, I got pretty good vibes from the other interviewees too! There was tension at first, but once we got to lunch the conversations were great! I would like to be classmates with these people :D Campus is not big but kinda homey. Surrounding areas kinda sketch but not too bad compared to Chicago or NYC. The OMT classroom is my favorite room: new tables, lots of space, kind of like a loft. Cafeteria is small, but the student center building with the coffee shop is pretty awesome (also found workout place downstairs!).

Interview itself was kinda meh :(
I wish I didn't say somethings and said somethings. Oh well...now the wait...

Would you mind going into more detail on what the interview day was like? I have mine tomorrow and I'm nervous/excited!

I'm glad you loved the people. I have a few friends who have gone to KCUMB and they basically say the same thing.

Would you mind going into more detail on what the interview day was like? I have mine tomorrow and I'm nervous/excited!

I'm glad you loved the people. I have a few friends who have gone to KCUMB and they basically say the same thing.

The day start with picking up your name-tag and sitting in a conference room with all the other interviewees. The dean talked first that day (had to go talk at a mayor thing after) then the pharm prof. Information/Q &A. Then Admin gave the run-down of the day followed by student panel (Q& A with ambassadors). Next we split up into smaller groups and ambassadors gave us a tour of campus.

Then we ate food.

After lunch we found out about time of interview and interviewers. While we wait ambassadors gave us some info on our interviewers. Interview was 30 minutes. Grabbed a KCUMB T-shirt and got a smoothie at the coffee shop. The End!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone remember if the secondary asks specifically about criminal charges or does it want you to list all tickets (speeding etc)? I am almost positive that it was just criminal charges but I want to be sure. Unfortunately I cannot log back into my app and I want to make sure I disclosed everything they asked for. Thanks!

I know the first deposit of $1000 is due on the 15th for most of us but does anyone know when the second deposit is due? Thanks!

Do you by any chance remember the criminal charge question on the secondary? I am pretty sure they just wanted to know criminal charges but I know some schools worded it so that speeding tickets should also be included.
Thanks.

I do not believe there was a question about criminal charges on the KCUMB secondary.

Anyone have questions about the school?
I don't know if you have already talked about this earlier in the thread but do you like the curriculum here at KCUMB? Obviously there could be minor tweaks here and there I am sure, but overall would you say that you are satisfied with how you learn here?

I don't know if you have already talked about this earlier in the thread but do you like the curriculum here at KCUMB? Obviously there could be minor tweaks here and there I am sure, but overall would you say that you are satisfied with how you learn here?

It's all about personal learning styles. I like repetition so for me it's beneficial to learn the normal functions in the first year and then have the pathology the second year. Some people like having everything at once.

Some 2nd years with the previous curriculum said they liked ours because they don't have to relearn stuff from year 1. It's a bit more fresh for us.

KCUMB slowly introduces board style questions into our exams and we usually have a midterm and final. For blocks that are only 2-3 weeks long we will have 1 final (usually 1 anatomy practical).

Since this is the first class with the curriculum change we had some minor hiccups but they should be fixed before c/o 2019 starts. The principles of clinical medicine were a little out of sync.

Places like DMU and AZCOM have exams every week. I wouldn't have felt comfortable at that pace. I like to digest the material and learn the concepts. Going that quickly would have made me store and regurgitate the information.

When you pick a school make sure you look up how they test and at what frequency. Do some introspection and pick a school that would work well with the way you learn.

Reactions: 3 users
It's all about personal learning styles. I like repetition so for me it's beneficial to learn the normal functions in the first year and then have the pathology the second year. Some people like having everything at once.

Some 2nd years with the previous curriculum said they liked ours because they don't have to relearn stuff from year 1. It's a bit more fresh for us.

KCUMB slowly introduces board style questions into our exams and we usually have a midterm and final. For blocks that are only 2-3 weeks long we will have 1 final (usually 1 anatomy practical).

Since this is the first class with the curriculum change we had some minor hiccups but they should be fixed before c/o 2019 starts. The principles of clinical medicine were a little out of sync.

Places like DMU and AZCOM have exams every week. I wouldn't have felt comfortable at that pace. I like to digest the material and learn the concepts. Going that quickly would have made me store and regurgitate the information.

When you pick a school make sure you look up how they test and at what frequency. Do some introspection and pick a school that would work well with the way you learn.
Sounds good, thanks for the response.

What is your take on all of this business they are doing with giving sucky/short breaks and then cutting like a month out of summer break? Think they are going to work on that stuff or is it just life?

What is your take on all of this business they are doing with giving sucky/short breaks and then cutting like a month out of summer break? Think they are going to work on that stuff or is it just life?

It's going to be like this at pretty much every DO school now. We can talk about it more through PM.

It took 6 days for them to send me the link, although, if you just type "KCUMB matriculation" into google it will take you to the page they send you the link for. All the forms and requirements are located there. The only other thing the email will have is your ID number which you will need to pay the fees.
Was that 6 days after you received your e-mail? I got mine on Dec. 3rd and today is the sixth day after that and I have not received one yet.

As someone who just had their interview, can someone comment how long it took for KCUMB to tell you their decision?

As someone who just had their interview, can someone comment how long it took for KCUMB to tell you their decision?

2 weeks exactly, although it seemed like everyone in my interview group (September 9) found out much earlier!

For current students:
Mac or surface 3? I currently have nothing so I will for sure be getting something before school starts.

I currently use both PC and Mac stuff at work. I think I like mac a hair more overall (even to my own surprise since I have been a PC fan my whole life). I think it would be sweet to have the ipad, mac, and iphone - a lot of cross use there.

I also have thought about the surface pro 3 since you could like write right on the powerpoints and stuff. The wife has a surface 2 (non-pro version) and its not too bad. But then I am reminded that my hand writing is truly horrific, possibly at kindergarten level.

Any general consensus on which would be better for KCUMB specifically, or honestly just use whatever you like best?

For current students:
Mac or surface 3? I currently have nothing so I will for sure be getting something before school starts.

I currently use both PC and Mac stuff at work. I think I like mac a hair more overall (even to my own surprise since I have been a PC fan my whole life). I think it would be sweet to have the ipad, mac, and iphone - a lot of cross use there.

I also have thought about the surface pro 3 since you could like write right on the powerpoints and stuff. The wife has a surface 2 (non-pro version) and its not too bad. But then I am reminded that my hand writing is truly horrific, possibly at kindergarten level.

Any general consensus on which would be better for KCUMB specifically, or honestly just use whatever you like best?
Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Reactions: 10 users
For current students:

I love my MacBook, and later on if you decide to go with an iPad for s tablet (if you want one) all your information (calendars, PDFs etc.) are on your MacBook seamlessly as well.

Was that 6 days after you received your e-mail? I got mine on Dec. 3rd and today is the sixth day after that and I have not received one yet.

Yes, it was the 6th day after I received my acceptance email. They said it should come within a week, so I'd give them another couple days before you call or email.

2 weeks exactly, although it seemed like everyone in my interview group (September 9) found out much earlier!

It took them nearly three weeks to let me know, but some people that interviewed the same day as me found out within four to five days, and it sounded like a couple heard back a week after I did. I have no idea what their decision process looks like, but I think they send out acceptances in batches, and they don't necessarily do the groups one at a time.

I had my interview today as well. I believe Patti told us that all decisions would be made and we would be notified before they leave for break next Friday (12/19).

Pretty quick turn around, honestly.