Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What happens on that day?

You get to see the school again, see more presentations about what KCUMB has to offer, get fitted for your white coat. Free breakfast and goodie bag.

Afterwards people spent the day looking at housing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Start making appointments for housing.

Sheesh, it has been 1 year already. I remember visiting for acceptance day. Time goes by so fast when you're having fun :)
Yea I will soon, the wife and I are just waiting on whether or not we are going to have enough people to rent a house or if we are sticking with just us two. Our friends/old room mates are dragging their feet with this decision haha. We have given them until the end of January.

I think my wife and I will be attending the acceptance day in March so that we can spend some time looking at housing. Anyone looking at the Riverside Co-op housing? Not sure if it is any good but i know plenty of former married students who loved it. It is going to be quite humbling to move from a house to a townhome/apartment for my family but it will definitely be worth it.

I am braving KC by myself...was hoping for CT but the wait list...(I am not on it yet). I think I need to stop lusting after lofts and start looking for a 1 bedroom near school. Suggestions?

Reactions: 1 users
Is this the same accept day as the one in November? If I attended that one, attending the spring one wouldn't be very beneficial, I assume? Anyone know about this?

Yep, March 13th it is! See ya there friends.

What does one wear ? Something casual/business casual?? I really don't want to wear a suit again lol...

If I want to respectfully decline an offer of acceptance, how would I do that? It looks like the matriculation page does not have an option to do so.

If I want to respectfully decline an offer of acceptance, how would I do that? It looks like the matriculation page does not have an option to do so.
I had a friend try multiple times to call, but with the remodeling I don't think he ever got ahold of anyone. He wound up just emailing. Texting Patti just seems too informal for something that big. Good luck where ever you wind up!

I had a friend try multiple times to call, but with the remodeling I don't think he ever got ahold of anyone. He wound up just emailing. Texting Patti just seems too informal for something that big. Good luck where ever you wind up!
Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! A polite email notifying the school that you're withdrawing the acceptance offer is fine.

Haha I know right? I feel like I have such polarized clothing. Its either a suit or jeans and a t-shirt haha.
Oh yea same here lol, If i could go everywhere in a t-shirt and jeans I would, without a doubt!

There is no requirement but I went with business casual.

Thanks! just didn't want to show up looking like some bum off the street lol.

Anything wrong if I cant make it to acceptance day due to classes? Will they talk about things that I need to know?

Anything wrong if I cant make it to acceptance day due to classes? Will they talk about things that I need to know?

Free breakfast, tour of all the facilities, fitting for your white coat, and a goodie bag.

It's kinda like an open house thing... except you have to be accepted to go. It's a good way to show your family where you will be attending.

It's not mandatory so you're not missing out on anything big. You can get fitted for a white coat during orientation. Everything important you need to know is mentioned during orientation.

Honestly the only reason people even come is to look for an apartment.

Spoke to Christine from Fin. aid office earlier this week. Med school loans are a witch!

For those of you who go here, what sold you on the school? I loved the curriculum and the students I met there, but one of the main detractors when I interviewed was the area that the school was in. I've seen that people have talked about the security being there consistently, but as far as living, is there anywhere close by that is a little "nicer"? Also, how do you deal with such a large class size? While the lecture halls were large, I couldn't imagine 500+ people being able to share the amount of study space or lounge/cafeteria area, but please tell me if I'm mistaken.

Lastly, is anyone deciding between here and CCOM, or here and LECOM-Bradenton? I'd love to get some input so please PM me.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Just a quick comment on the area- as a student I've never felt unsafe on the school grounds, and the general sense is that the people in the area respect the school and the students. Just be smart when you leave KCUMB property. Actually the fact that the school is in a not-so-nice neighborhood is something I view as good thing. Given the need in the surrounding community, there are a ton of great service opportunities right on our doorstep. Most of our patients won't come from backgrounds as privileged as ours, and it's grounding and humbling to be in an area that constantly reminds you who you're working to help and why it's important to keep studying hard.
That being said, when you do want to get away from school (and you will want to get away haha), KC is easily the most driving-friendly city I've ever been in. Parking is everywhere, great apartments/restaurants/hangout areas/gyms/shopping/whatever are close and accessible by car, and there are more fun things to do here than you'd expect. As someone who came here with honestly low expectations, I've grown to really love this place.
Hope that helps!

Reactions: 5 users
4th year here. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! I am selling my medical equipment kit, it is a Welch Allyn kit, which is superior to the ones the school are selling now. I bought all of it brand new when I started, and it is still like new. Everything is In perfect condition and barely used. Here are the amazon links for what I am selling and what will be included in the set:

Amazon product
Amazon product

I will sell it all for $799, I believe the school sells there medical equipment kit for around $930 and the equipment they use now is not as good is this set. Here is the link for the medical equipment kit they used from last year:
http://www.kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Admissions/_Assets/RequiredMedicalEquipment.pdf

Message me if interested and for any other questions, and congratulations again to all of you!

A very minuscule thing but does anyone know If the bookstore clothing inventory gets updated anytime soon? Doesn't seem like they have that many options!

They definitely added things (and have more in store) because they also no longer have the sweatshirt I was eyeing haha.

And I just want to know about the iPad for sure so I can buy a case

They definitely added things (and have more in store) because they also no longer have the sweatshirt I was eyeing haha.

And I just want to know about the iPad for sure so I can buy a case

iPad Air 1 probably won't be around when you guys start and they're not going to give you guys a mini. It would be way too small for reading and exams.

Plus they usually buy the iPads around July. That's when the 2 year AppleCare starts. Unless... an iPad Air 3 comes out....

I heard Holly (is that her name ?) Said they were low on stock cause they redesigned the logo and are getting new stuff with it.

I'm just going to save up and get myself a little acceptance gift when I come in March haha

Hey guys. Do any of you know if you're matriculating if you can take classes pass/fail? Or do they need to see a grade? It's not a pre-req or anything. I just don't want to be graded haha. Oh and is there a certain GPA we have to maintain?

Hey guys. Do any of you know if you're matriculating if you can take classes pass/fail? Or do they need to see a grade? It's not a pre-req or anything. I just don't want to be graded haha. Oh and is there a certain GPA we have to maintain?

You're accepted.

Just don't get a bunch of classes w/ Cs. Take P/F if you want.

From the KCUMB Bookstore Facebook Page: "In anticipation of the rebranding reveal tomorrow, all KCUMB logo items are 20% off this week. The current inventory items will NEVER be reordered...so if there is something you've been eyeing...now is the time to make a purchase :) "

Exciting! Haha. Wish I was there to grab some on-sale items :p

From the KCUMB Bookstore Facebook Page: "In anticipation of the rebranding reveal tomorrow, all KCUMB logo items are 20% off this week. The current inventory items will NEVER be reordered...so if there is something you've been eyeing...now is the time to make a purchase :) "

Hahaha how strange I ask about the inventory and they post that today!

Reactions: 3 users

I tried to keep a look out for an announcement about the rebranding yesterday, but I never saw anything. Anyone else have any news on this?

Oh boy. I must be crazy then! Where did I see that post?! HAhAHA.

Maybe I'm thinking about their post about the 20% discount!

They posted that they were rebranding and would announce the next day (we commented on it hahaha) but they never followed up with anything and the website/merchandise was not updated. Just sitting here waiting... and waiting... can it be March already? :p

They posted that they were rebranding and would announce the next day (we commented on it hahaha) but they never followed up with anything and the website/merchandise was not updated. Just sitting here waiting... and waiting... can it be March already? :p

Can it be the start of med school already?! hahah I mean I'm enjoying my last courses and my new job but I'm getting antsy!