Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They posted that they were rebranding and would announce the next day (we commented on it hahaha) but they never followed up with anything and the website/merchandise was not updated. Just sitting here waiting... and waiting... can it be March already? :p

I know! It's a rather silly thing to be hanging on about, but I'm excited to see what it is. I am ready to take this semester a little easier and prepare myself for July!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can it be the start of med school already?! hahah I mean I'm enjoying my last courses and my new job but I'm getting antsy!

Whoa whoa lol. I'm still enjoying relaxing the next few months before med school haha. First let it be March so I can buy stuff and prepare. Thennnn it can fast forward to August

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off of the wait list!!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call this morning.
cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.7 MCAT 33

Hey y'all… I have an interview the 22nd (anybody else???). Any advice about the interview? Anything in particular that you really enjoyed about the school and even the city (besides yes, the BBQ)?

Hey y'all… I have an interview the 22nd (anybody else???). Any advice about the interview? Anything in particular that you really enjoyed about the school and even the city (besides yes, the BBQ)?

Congrats on the ii!

Thinks I enjoyed about the school: Large campus, exercise room, good study areas, up to date lecture halls. Those are all aesthetics. The really important things I saw as positive factors were the new curriculum, supportive faculty, non-mandatory lecture, podcast/recorded lecture, early board-style exam questions, simulatd patients activities, new surgical suit simulation, and a very strong tight-knit community between students and faculty. I also enjoyed that you are not a far distance from UMKC and KUSOM for collaborative clinical research.

City: Downtown/urban feel without the businesses. No crazy LA or NY traffic, parking is easy. Architecture seems amazing in different districts. Not a terrible driving distance to Chicago and the East Coast. Also housing is hella cheap compared to CA and the housing is veryyyy nice , lot's of amenities.

For me, it was basically what I was longing for being from San Diego. I didn't want to be away from the nightlife or in a rural area but I was sick and tired of heavy traffic and having to spend 1-2 hours finding parking anywhere in city. It just seems that KC is IMO becoming the new up and coming city in terms of developing its "personality".

Congrats on the ii!

Thinks I enjoyed about the school: Large campus, exercise room, good study areas, up to date lecture halls. Those are all aesthetics. The really important things I saw as positive factors were the new curriculum, supportive faculty, non-mandatory lecture, podcast/recorded lecture, early board-style exam questions, simulatd patients activities, new surgical suit simulation, and a very strong tight-knit community between students and faculty. I also enjoyed that you are not a far distance from UMKC and KUSOM for collaborative clinical research.

City: Downtown/urban feel without the businesses. No crazy LA or NY traffic, parking is easy. Architecture seems amazing in different districts. Not a terrible driving distance to Chicago and the East Coast. Also housing is hella cheap compared to CA and the housing is veryyyy nice , lot's of amenities.

For me, it was basically what I was longing for being from San Diego. I didn't want to be away from the nightlife or in a rural area but I was sick and tired of heavy traffic and having to spend 1-2 hours finding parking anywhere in city. It just seems that KC is IMO becoming the new up and coming city in terms of developing its "personality".
Yeah I know what you mean about the traffic. My dad is from LA so I have been there a few times and yikes…no thanks. I live in Dallas now so not quite as bad but I have to drive an hour and a half to work because of traffic. But thanks so much for the detailed response! From what I can tell, current students an those accepted really love it there! I just hope this interview isn't too late :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its a DO school that runs like an MD school. And I dont mean this to bash the DO thing, but I do think that some DO schools are like walking into a Costco warehouse.

I got the same feeling at KCUMB that I do walking into my work every day (an MD school).

Also Dean Dubin. He seems like a hard@ss, but a hard@ss that wants people to be excellent. I can appreciate that. I even brought this up to my interviewer and she completely agreed.

Reactions: 3 users
Its a DO school that runs like an MD school. And I dont mean this to bash the DO thing, but I do think that some DO schools are like walking into a Costco warehouse.

I got the same feeling at KCUMB that I do walking into my work every day (an MD school).

Also Dean Dubin. He seems like a hard@ss, but a hard@ss that wants people to be excellent. I can appreciate that. I even brought this up to my interviewer and she completely agreed.

I'm going to third that. In big groups he's that way because he has high expectations, and he's not afraid to call people out if they are slacking or not coming close to those expectations. Most of our administration is like that, Dr. Dubin is just more blunt about it than others. In a small group or one-on-one setting he's actually a lot friendlier than he sometimes comes across though. He really does care about our goals and getting us there and there I've yet to find a policy or method that he uses that doesn't have very legitimate reasoning behind it.

The bottom line is that med school is supposed to give you strong base knowledge so that when you do clinicals and residency you don't make a fool out of yourself. If you've got professors and deans saying you're doing fine when you're really not, the only person that suffers is you. I'd rather have someone be blunt and tell me how it really is now than have someone telling me I should shoot for derm or ortho with average boards and a mediocre class rank.

So...I heard they haven't revealed the logo, but KCUMB is now Kansas City University (KCU). Interesting...

Yeah I know what you mean about the traffic. My dad is from LA so I have been there a few times and yikes…no thanks. I live in Dallas now so not quite as bad but I have to drive an hour and a half to work because of traffic. But thanks so much for the detailed response! From what I can tell, current students an those accepted really love it there! I just hope this interview isn't too late :nailbiting:

LA is by far the most terrible city when it comes to traffic. UCLA is really nice though.

The morale of the school is positive but the best thing is they don't hype anything..they keep it quite real and work hard.

If they're interviewing they want you for the class! Good luck!

Yea where is all of this business coming from? I cant find anything about it online. Any current students hear anything?

After reading the school catalog, it seems reasonable they change their name since this school has changed their name like 10 times haha.

Or maybe it's not that their changing their name but changing what it says on the apparel.

Maybe y'all will get new white coats?

I was kinda joking.

Kinda like:

10812552.jpg

If the name changes, can we also petition to have a mascot? Coming from an SEC school, I'm not sure how to handle not having one :p

But really though, I searched everywhere and I can't find any information on this rebranding thing! They need to release the new logo/information already! :D

If the name changes, can we also petition to have a mascot? Coming from an SEC school, I'm not sure how to handle not having one :p

But really though, I searched everywhere and I can't find any information on this rebranding thing! They need to release the new logo/information already! :D

Can we please have the mascot be a cat?

Reactions: 3 users
Literally, that's probably one of the few things that would make this school better than it already is hahaha.

The KCU Kittens!!! OMG!

On the side of speculation, are they changing their name because perhaps they are going to add new departments in the future?! (Nursing or undergrad?)

Where did you find that out?

I don't want to reveal my source...but it would be someone who knows (I know that's a terrible answer).

The KCU Kittens!!! OMG!

On the side of speculation, are they changing their name because perhaps they are going to add new departments in the future?! (Nursing or undergrad?)

There is a bank in KC with the initials KCUMB. A lot of the KC area acronyms are the same (KUMC, UMKC, KCUMB, UMB) and I think the KCU will help simply this and make the university more recognizable and easier to remember. Who knows if they are adding departments. I highly doubt they would add an undergrad. The campus doesn't have a whole lot of room to expand, never mind the emphasis Dr. Dubin is placing on making KCUMB the best medical school in the Midwest (for starters).

That's actually super interesting! KCU would definitely be easier to explain that saying KCUMB and then having to say what it all stands for haha.

P.S. I'm still voting for KCU Kittens. I can't get over how adorable that is. And even if it doesn't happen, I'm down for getting my kitten a sweater with it anyway :D

LA is by far the most terrible city when it comes to traffic. UCLA is really nice though.

The morale of the school is positive but the best thing is they don't hype anything..they keep it quite real and work hard.

If they're interviewing they want you for the class! Good luck!
That is awesome that they don't give you a hyped up version… you get what you see kinda thing. Awesome and thank you!
And yes UCLA's campus is stunning!!!

The fact that you can skip class and the fact that they give 8+ weeks of board time is enough to warrant going imho. Most schools have one or the other, not both. Some have neither, I cant imagine...
Just to confirm, class attendance in NOT mandatory? Or does it depend on the class?

The info about the new logo and name is now almost public. Students and staff can access the document explaining why the changes on the intranet. Technically the name has not changed The logo has changes though big time. They are calling that rebranding. The emphasis is on KCU medicine and Bioscience are just on smaller prints and on the side. They compare it to DMU, Havard, KU...as they explain what they want to stand out. The whole rebranding thing is not just about the logo and name it's a new mentality, what is being sold etc...current students can find the doc on intranet, announcement was released ytd. The seal is different, instead of the orange color, the emphasis is on purple . Things will be unveiled to the public slowly as the external website will change in March

That's a great presentation haha. I'm a fan of the rebrand - it's very classy and sophisticated. I admit I'm a little sad the colors changed to a deeper purple and more red orange, but overall, looks nice!

The info about the new logo and name is now almost public. Students and staff can access the document explaining why the changes on the intranet. Technically the name has not changed The logo has changes though big time. They are calling that rebranding. The emphasis is on KCU medicine and Bioscience are just on smaller prints and on the side. They compare it to DMU, Havard, KU...as they explain what they want to stand out. The whole rebranding thing is not just about the logo and name it's a new mentality, what is being sold etc...current students can find the doc on intranet, announcement was released ytd. The seal is different, instead of the orange color, the emphasis is on purple . Things will be unveiled to the public slowly as the external website will change in March
Edit : see poster above me, while I was posting he just showed you! Show me state! :D

The brand change is real! I do like the new logo very much.
"when I look at the logo, I dont see anything revolved around medicine."

If for nothing else, its good that they are listening to their students. Their old logo is weird.

Man they are legit about the thought put into it. I mean even by taking out the orange coloring, it makes it seem more serious. Same thing with focusing on the KCU aspect. Good work!

Side note, its going to be so cool that we are there for the 100th year celebration!

"when I look at the logo, I dont see anything revolved around medicine."

If for nothing else, its good that they are listening to their students. Their old logo is weird.

Man they are legit about the thought put into it. I mean even by taking out the orange coloring, it makes it seem more serious. Same thing with focusing on the KCU aspect. Good work!

Side note, its going to be so cool that we are there for the 100th year celebration!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading through - at first I was just anxious to see the logo but as I started reading, I was super impressed! I love that they incorporated opinions and everything! Can't wait to see all the changes take effect :D

So just to clarify... This is going into effect within this year? Looks like around March? Or am I not reading this correctly? Like by the time the new students get there, everything will be KCU?

So just to clarify... This is going into effect within this year? Looks like around March? Or am I not reading this correctly? Like by the time the new students get there, everything will be KCU?

It definitely seems that way - I'm guessing our white coats will have that embroidery picture and everything. Looks like they want to have all of the changes done before 2016 - I cannot wait to see the events and stuff for the 100 year celebration! I'm legit too excited right now.

It says "roll out" but I am super confident our white coats will have the new branding on it. I think what they want too is to have everything new by the centennial year during 2016.

The only sad part is not cats!

***It does seem like the Joplin campus is a go after seeing this document.
****Update: Just saw an FB post that one of KCU's research affiliates (Some neuro one) received 45 million in NIH grants!

All of this news is seriously humbling. Did not think I would be going to a school like this.

Last edited:
I didn't even notice that Joplin campus logo until you said that! Are they opening another DO school there? Anyone know anything?

And also, as much as I love that picture, I still want a kitten mascot. I guess my kitty's sweater will just have to be purple and grey now ;)