Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on interviews everyone! Make sure to post your stats in the "Official Interview Invite Thread 2014-2015 Cycle" in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum so we can keep track of the schools giving out invites!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First II!!!!!!! Best birthday present I could wish for. I'm ecstatic! 3.35s, 3.45c, 3.89 grad (MS Global Health), 26 MCAT. Lots of ECs. Scheduled for 9/4...see you there!!!

Reactions: 1 users
First II!!!!!!! Best birthday present I could wish for. I'm ecstatic! 3.35s, 3.45c, 3.89 grad (MS Global Health), 26 MCAT. Lots of ECs. Scheduled for 9/4...see you there!!!
Congrats!! I got an ii the same day as you! Hope to see you there!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II!!!!!!!!!!! Scheduled for Sept. 4th!

3.4, 3.35, 27 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
For you guys with II's, where are you booking your hotel rooms? I heard that the Q Hotel/AC Hotel By Marriot offers a shuttle to and from the campus. Any thoughts?

For you guys with II's, where are you booking your hotel rooms? I heard that the Q Hotel/AC Hotel By Marriot offers a shuttle to and from the campus. Any thoughts?
I'm staying at the Q Hotel. They do have a shuttle service, and from the pictures online, it seems great.

Q Hotel is sold out on Sept. 4th. I'm booking with The 816 Hotel- $89 a night with the KCUMB discount rate! And they offer a shuttle as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q Hotel is sold out on Sept. 4th. I'm booking with The 816 Hotel- $89 a night with the KCUMB discount rate! And they offer a shuttle as well.

booked here also! hope to see you there! It appears as though the Q is closed for renovations and is turning into a Marriot

Last edited:
Congrats on the IIs! Hopefully I'll be in the next wave and can join y'all there soon! I was complete Wednesday so fingers crossed!

A friend of mine took a few pictures during orientation.

Class of 2014 stats. Someone scored a 866 on the COMLEX 1 and 29 people got a perfect score on COMLEX 2.

The academic building renovation.

I believe we have about 8-10 of these study rooms.

There are 2 lecture halls. I believe the top one is the bigger one.

Comfortable mech chairs are a nice touch!

Places to just sit outside.

Unfortunately the new state of the art patient training center might not be done until AFTER 2016. The class of 2018 won't get to see it but the class of 2019 MIGHT.

These are picture from the official KCUMB Facebook page.

It won't let me add more pictures...

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Unfortunately the new state of the art patient training center might not be done until AFTER 2016. The class of 2018 won't get to see it but the class of 2019 MIGHT.

Well, I certainly would not mind going to school here.

The libraries are also very nice in the area. Downtown in the library district (about 10-15 minutes away from campus) you have study areas like this.

I know a few students live downtown so it would be within walking distance.

The top floor (5th or 6th floor) has a nice sitting area with a great view of downtown.

Tons of spaces to go and study privately. Unfortunately we didn't get to see inside the study areas.

Last edited:

Class of 2014 stats. Someone scored a 866 on the COMLEX 1 and 29 people got a perfect score on COMLEX 2.

The academic building renovation.

I believe we have about 8-10 of these study rooms.

There are 2 lecture halls. I believe the top one is the bigger one.

Comfortable mech chairs are a nice touch!

Places to just sit outside.

These are picture from the official KCUMB Facebook page.

It won't let me add more pictures...
Thanks for posting these! These pics are so much better and more representative than those stock pics from school website!

I think people should just post their own pics when attending interview or orientations!

awesome pics!! feel free to post more :))) wish I could go ahead and visit!

Super excited to meet everyone at the Sept. 4th interview! And all of those pictures look absolutely amazing! I'm staying with a friend as well, and I've heard nothing but great things about the area. Super excited/nervous but wishing the best for everyone! =]

Reactions: 2 users
they say to plan on being on campus until 4:30 pm- I believe that interviews are only from 1-4:30 (start after lunch)

I don't know how it is this year but last year they scheduled everyone who had to take the shuttle back to the Q first. This allowed them all to go back on the shuttle together rather than wait for 1 person.

MCI is a relatively small airport and it probably took me 20-30 mins to get there and then 10-15 mins to get to my terminal.

5:30pm is the EARLIEST I would schedule a flight back.

Congrats to all getting II's. I have one as well for 9/4. Any one have any info on Interview format? Good luck to everyone! See some of you on the 4th!

II 9/4!!! Hope to see some of you there! :)

Last edited:
II 9/9! Complete 7/30, 3.7cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 31. So excited!!!!

Rejected pre-secondary. Yikes! Best of luck to the rest of you. My email from them stated that I'd be a really good candidate for a SMP. I have a 3.3/32. I'm actually enrolled in an SMP starting this fall- do you think it would be worth it to tell them for this cycle?

Rejected pre-secondary. Yikes! Best of luck to the rest of you. My email from them stated that I'd be a really good candidate for a SMP. I have a 3.3/32. I'm actually enrolled in an SMP starting this fall- do you think it would be worth it to tell them for this cycle?

I'm sorry to hear this.

What did the email say exactly?

I'm sorry to hear this.

What did the email say exactly?
It read:

"We have received your application and we want to thank you for your interest in Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). Upon reviewing your file we are unable, at this time, to offer you an invitation to complete our secondary application.

There are many reasons why a prospective student is not offered a secondary application. Some factors include overall GPA, science GPA, MCAT performance, demonstration of ability to carry a large academic load, and your overall profile compared to other KCUMB medical school applicants.

One common recommendation is to consider a post-baccalaureate or masters level program in the biosciences. I think you would be an excellent candidate for our College of Biosciences (KCUMB-COB) master’s degree programs."

Then some more information about their graduate programs.

I have the exact same stats but I just completed an SMP this year. I did get a secondary, which I've since submitted, but now I'm really questioning my competitiveness...

I have the exact same stats but I just completed an SMP this year. I did get a secondary, which I've since submitted, but now I'm really questioning my competitiveness...
I think the fact that you did your SMP is what pushed you over the edge to get the secondary and be considered, looking at what it says in my email, so I wouldn't worry. Best of luck!

I would call/email the school to get more direct feedback. I called and they re-reviewed my file (this was post secondary) I am now a student at kcumb.
Not saying at all that will be your case but it is always worth it to call/email for direct feedback.

I think the fact that you did your SMP is what pushed you over the edge to get the secondary and be considered, looking at what it says in my email, so I wouldn't worry. Best of luck!

Thanks, you too!

I booked here also. The rate is amazing, and the service over the phone is awesome.

I would call/email the school to get more direct feedback. I called and they re-reviewed my file (this was post secondary) I am now a student at kcumb.
Not saying at all that will be your case but it is always worth it to call/email for direct feedback.
Thanks for the tip - I'll email them and figure even if it doesn't work out, I tried :)

It read:

"We have received your application and we want to thank you for your interest in Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). Upon reviewing your file we are unable, at this time, to offer you an invitation to complete our secondary application.

There are many reasons why a prospective student is not offered a secondary application. Some factors include overall GPA, science GPA, MCAT performance, demonstration of ability to carry a large academic load, and your overall profile compared to other KCUMB medical school applicants.

One common recommendation is to consider a post-baccalaureate or masters level program in the biosciences. I think you would be an excellent candidate for our College of Biosciences (KCUMB-COB) master’s degree programs."

Then some more information about their graduate programs.

If I was in your position I would given them a call and ask if my application would be up for consideration when I turn in updated SMP grades.

Depending on how good your SMP GPA is it could get you a secondary.

It's just all about how badly you want it. A phone call or email costs about 10 minutes of your time but it can change the direction of your application.

If I was in your position I would given them a call and ask if my application would be up for consideration when I turn in updated SMP grades.

Depending on how good your SMP GPA is it could get you a secondary.

It's just all about how badly you want it. A phone call or email costs about 10 minutes of your time but it can change the direction of your application.
This is true. I think I will do that because it's worth it. I really wanted to have a shot here.

Pre secondary rejection with a 3.1uGPA, 3.8 SMP gpa and 38 MCAT, guess there is absolutely no wiggle room with those cutoffs...

Pre secondary rejection with a 3.1uGPA, 3.8 SMP gpa and 38 MCAT, guess there is absolutely no wiggle room with those cutoffs...

Why did you even apply to DO schools at all? A 3.8 SMP/ 38 will almost certainly get you into high tier MD.

Hey guys!

I was not sure if I understood this question about when I read it but on the secondary where it asks 'Have you ever been involved with research within the biomedical or health-care field?', does undergraduate research count? I worked in a lab for a semester and we were conducting research on the cause and prevention of malaria.

what the??????
did they make a mistake or something?
I did not satisfy the cut off for one of my sub section MCAT (VR) and they still send me a secondary. I don't know if it is worth it to submit the secondary in just to get rejected anyways!