Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds about right it doesn't help that he absolutely loves my black shag rug so every time I want a picture, I can basically only see his eyes haha. But no matter how evil he looks, he's also the sweetest, most playful kitty ever

And everyone is more than welcome to come over for kitten therapy

We can have KCUMB Kitten Day and being all of our felines to school!

Just imagine all of them at weaver auditorium. They would freak out!

Members don't see this ad.

We can have KCUMB Kitten Day and being all of our felines to school!

Just imagine all of them at weaver auditorium. They would freak out!

Omg yes haha. Kitten therapy for everyone!

P.S. *KCU Kitten Day, come on! Gotta use the new abbreviation

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll make sure to bring some Benadryl on kitten day :p .

Reactions: 1 users
So I watched the Grand Rounds but I am still not exactly sure how they work. A group is given a case to present and then during the presentation the audience presents questions and the group members answer them on the spot? Also, it does not look like every one is speaking, so you are not required or some people just get lucky? Either way this whole event looks VERY stressful...CONGRATS to KCU students :)

P.S. Will Grand Rounds be next year as well?

Just wanted to make sure this question didn't get lost in the kitty convo...although as the owner of one enormous farm cat myself, I'm super happy to see there are other cat people coming to KCU too :)

Grand rounds goes like this: you get a case 3-4 weeks ahead of time, then divide up your group into 1 group leader, 3 speakers, and the rest are researchers. The researchers do more work on the front end, and then the speakers do a lot more prep later on as they get ready to talk about their section. The researchers are also responsible for the questions that get sent down- as the speakers are presenting, people can write questions on cards and the researchers look up the answers to share at the end of the presentation.
It's definitely stressful, but a lot of people have said it was a great experience and it really gives you a good idea of what kind of work goes into a high-caliber clinical presentation!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to make sure this question didn't get lost in the kitty convo...although as the owner of one enormous farm cat myself, I'm super happy to see there are other cat people coming to KCU too :)

Grand rounds goes like this: you get a case 3-4 weeks ahead of time, then divide up your group into 1 group leader, 3 speakers, and the rest are researchers. The researchers do more work on the front end, and then the speakers do a lot more prep later on as they get ready to talk about their section. The researchers are also responsible for the questions that get sent down- as the speakers are presenting, people can write questions on cards and the researchers look up the answers to share at the end of the presentation.
It's definitely stressful, but a lot of people have said it was a great experience and it really gives you a good idea of what kind of work goes into a high-caliber clinical presentation!

Got it! Thank you so much for the explanation! :)

Sadly no. I do not have a cat, BUT if I did, I would love to have the one from my pic :D
Is your cat on your profile pic? :)

That would be amazing! It was my cat but I launched him into space :(

Jk! I've never owned a cat but Ive been indoctrinated by many of my cat friends!

Question for the current students:

I was looking over the academic calendar for both MSI and MSII and was wondering why the MSII spring break is the end of February but the MSI spring break is the end of April? That's a pretty big gap! Haha. Any insights? Thanks!

Question for the current students:

I was looking over the academic calendar for both MSI and MSII and was wondering why the MSII spring break is the end of February but the MSI spring break is the end of April? That's a pretty big gap! Haha. Any insights? Thanks!

Two totally different curriculums. The MSIIs will be taking boards in June and I imagine that goes in to the thinking of when to schedule their break.

edit.

I need to shut up. May can hurry and arrive.

Last edited:
What biochem and immunology topics would be good to be familiar with for year I? I never took immunology and biochem was super meh. Since things are so chill now I want to watch some related videos and get some casual exposure (I learn best this way). Also any pathways I can make a song about? This sounds crazy but song-writing was my key to success in ochem :D saved me tons of time

Members don't see this ad :)
What biochem and immunology topics would be good to be familiar with for year I? I never took immunology and biochem was super meh. Since things are so chill now I want to watch some related videos and get some casual exposure (I learn best this way). Also any pathways I can make a song about? This sounds crazy but song-writing was my key to success in ochem :D saved me tons of time

For Immunology I suggest you watch lots of videos containing people speaking with Russian accents.

Check out Basic Immunology by Abbas. I realize the curriculum has changed since I was an M1/M2 at KCUMB, but this book I thought was the best. Some of the illustrations should look pretty familiar as well

Amazon product

Check out Basic Immunology by Abbas. I realize the curriculum has changed since I was an M1/M2 at KCUMB, but this book I thought was the best. Some of the illustrations should look pretty familiar as well

Amazon product

Curriculum has changed but the content is the same. The lectures are just moved around with little improvements.

Dr. Shnyra still recommends that book.

I have a pdf of another book he recommends. It's a bit more elementary but it makes for a nice introduction. OP, let me know if you want a copy.

Curriculum has changed but the content is the same. The lectures are just moved around with little improvements.

I have a pdf of another book he recommends. It's a bit more elementary but it makes for a nice introduction. OP, let me know if you want a copy.

Not OP but I'd still like a copy of the pdf if you wouldn't mind!

I would also like a copy! Now that you've gotten yourself into more than you can handle haha ;)

I don't recommend studying before you come here unless you're going to take a class, but if you are there are definitely things they like to focus on.

There's a lot of random stuff to know for biochem, but I'd say know everything about the amino acids (except their exact structure, not necessary), as much about glycolysis/gluconeogenesis as you can (specifically the enzymes, products, and substrates), and understand receptor types, specifically GCPR and tyrosene kinases and their pathways.

For immuno, in addition to understanding Russian, know the basics of TLRs, the complement cascades in side and out (not difficult), any interleukin from 1-25 and cytokines with initials like TNF, TGF, IFN, etc (seriously, Shnyra is in love with cytokines and you will be tested on them ad nauseum), and the hypersensitivities.

If you know all of that, then you'll have a very solid base coming in. That being said, Do NOT study during the summer!!!! Make sure you all take at least the back half of June and July off and enjoy the stress-free time before you jump into all the craziness. The amount of info you'll retain probably won't be worth stressing yourself out before school, so relax.

Hey does anyone know if we have to officially RSVP for the accepted students day? Where I would go about doing that? And when I have to do it by? I have looked through my email and done some quick google work but I cant find anything on the spring one besides just the "save the date."

Over the summer, you could read How the Immune System Works by Lauren Sompayrac.
It's not a lengthy textbook, but it doesn't necessarily oversimplify things (it will teach you the sequential steps of the complement system, etc). You will definitely get the big picture of the immune system, if you want to prepare!!

Last edited:
For immuno, in addition to understanding Russian, know the basics of TLRs, the complement cascades in side and out (not difficult), any interleukin from 1-25 and cytokines with initials like TNF, TGF, IFN, etc (seriously, Shnyra is in love with cytokines and you will be tested on them ad nauseum), and the hypersensitivities.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hey does anyone know if we have to officially RSVP for the accepted students day? Where I would go about doing that? And when I have to do it by? I have looked through my email and done some quick google work but I cant find anything on the spring one besides just the "save the date."

They sent a link with the email describing the Accepted Students Day (sent on Jan 29)! here's the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JfMqwmkvUeXoLHIU-G1on1zF0L3bDSo53o0TY21OVUk/viewform

What the heck? I never got that? I got an email for grand rounds a day or so before that, but thats all I had gotten for weeks.

Where's the love KCU, you are letting me hang here.

Someone else I know didn't get the email either! I'm not sure why only certain people got it? xD But for everyone who needs it, there's the link! See ya there ;)

Here's the whole email with all the information haha: @Awesome Sauceome

Congratulations again on your recent acceptance to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). We are excited to invite you and your family to campus on Friday, March 13th to better familiarize yourself with the university.

As part of Accepted Student Day, you will have the unique opportunity to:
  • Tour the campus and Century Towers at a leisurely pace
  • Talk with not only first- and second-year medical students, but also third and fourth year students in clinical rotations and recent graduates of KCUMB
  • Ask questions and receive important financial aid information
  • Get fitted for your White Coat
  • Meet and connect with other incoming students from across the country
  • And more!
Our Accepted Student Day will begin at 9:00 AM and end by 2:30 PM. Please plan to arrive to campus between 8:30-9:00 AM for check-in. The event is casual so please plan to dress comfortably. If you are able to attend this special event, please RSVP online by Sunday, March 1st. A tentative agenda is available by clicking here.

Again, congratulations and we look forward to welcoming you to our university and to the profession of osteopathic medicine.

Here's the whole email with all the information haha: @Awesome Sauceome

Congratulations again on your recent acceptance to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). We are excited to invite you and your family to campus on Friday, March 13th to better familiarize yourself with the university.

As part of Accepted Student Day, you will have the unique opportunity to:
  • Tour the campus and Century Towers at a leisurely pace
  • Talk with not only first- and second-year medical students, but also third and fourth year students in clinical rotations and recent graduates of KCUMB
  • Ask questions and receive important financial aid information
  • Get fitted for your White Coat
  • Meet and connect with other incoming students from across the country
  • And more!
Our Accepted Student Day will begin at 9:00 AM and end by 2:30 PM. Please plan to arrive to campus between 8:30-9:00 AM for check-in. The event is casual so please plan to dress comfortably. If you are able to attend this special event, please RSVP online by Sunday, March 1st. A tentative agenda is available by clicking here.

Again, congratulations and we look forward to welcoming you to our university and to the profession of osteopathic medicine.

Never got this e-mail either :( maybe they're sending them out in batches? Who knows. Thanks for posting it though

JUST KIDDING, check your spam folders guys. My e-mail was in there and was dated for January 29th. It's probably hiding in there somewhere.

Ugh, KCU has a bad email system. Always check your spam folder.

Last year I called in to check the status of my application "Oh, we sent you a II 2 weeks ago."

Thank GOD I called to check that day.

I've never really checked my spam folder much. My Accepted Day email was in there too. Now I have this awful feeling like I may have missed a few II's. I guess its a little late at this point. :rofl:

:spam:

Last edited:
Ugh, KCU has a bad email system. Always check your spam folder.

Last year I called in to check the status of my application "Oh, we sent you a II 2 weeks ago."

Thank GOD I called to check that day.

I did the same thing ... I didn't know I had an ii from them until I got the last reminder e-mail telling me to either schedule an interview by the end of the week or say bye bye to KCU. Needless to say, if I didn't see that reminder I wouldn't be here at the moment lol

Did anyone get an email with the subject line with something like " A letter from the desk of the president"? It went into my spam folder and I accidentally deleted it forever...:(

Did anyone get an email with the subject line with something like " A letter from the desk of the president"? It went into my spam folder and I accidentally deleted it forever...:(

It's just the president's newsletter. He was talking about the KCU rebranding.

From the Desk
of the President
January 2015

Marc B. Hahn, DO, FAOCA
President and Chief Executive Officer
Kansas City University
of Medicine and Biosciences
Read biography | Follow @KCUMBpresidentRead about KCUMB in the News
news release.

With our new branding, which we revealed internally on Jan. 14, we believe we have accomplished these goals. Here is what you need to know:

• From today forward, we are and will remain the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. Our name will not change; however, we will focus on the Kansas City University part of our name and will no longer use the KCUMB acronym. If an acronym is used, it will be KCU. The full name is the same, but the focus is different - Kansas City University.
  • More importantly, we introduced a new logo, seal and crest that better identifies our institution. For example, we incorporated laurel leaves, which are symbolic of higher education, and the Staff of Asclepius, which represents medicine. It is a fresh, new look for our university.
As we continue to rollout our new brand during the coming year and prepare for our centennial celebration in 2016, I encourage you to share the excitement of this new beginning as our proud institution enters our second hundred years. I hope you share our belief that this new look truly captures the proud history of our University and the vision for our future.

Yours Truly,

Marc B. Hahn, DO, FAOCA

Yes, it just talked about the changed to KCU as an acronym but still calling themselves Kansas City university of Medical and Biomedical Sciences.

I know we blew up about this like two weeks ago, but it's still so exciting!

Reactions: 2 users
So does anyone have an idea of what to do about the whole insurance thing?

Here is my dilemma:
Currently I have insurance, but that is because I am working. Obviously I will lose this when I start school. Not to mention, I am out of state, so the whole network thing is completely different.

I havent done much looking, but is it possible to get insurance in another state, months before you are even a resident there? The insurance form is due in May right?... Yet I will be in Wisconsin until like the end of June. And on that note, it is possible that I will be getting insurance through my wife's work, so I dont necessarily want to buy into something on the marketplace, but again thats up in the air because of the whole timing of the move to Missouri and when my wife can find work.

Do you think I would be best to just fill out the form with my insurance I have now, and then figure it out later since I we will be getting different insurance in July or August anyways?

If not, are people just going through the state marketplaces? Its really weird that the school does not offer any form of insurance for the students...?

What is everyone else doing about this?

I am in the same position as you with the insurance issue. I am going to send in the form with my current insurance information, and then update it as soon as I get insurance through the marketplace(looking to move down to MO from WI late June or July).

I am in the same position as you with the insurance issue. I am going to send in the form with my current insurance information, and then update it as soon as I get insurance through the marketplace(looking to move down to MO from WI late June or July).
Yea a current student there answered me on Facebook and thats what they did.

Thanks for filling me in on the email guys!

So does anyone have an idea of what to do about the whole insurance thing?

Here is my dilemma:
Currently I have insurance, but that is because I am working. Obviously I will lose this when I start school. Not to mention, I am out of state, so the whole network thing is completely different.

I havent done much looking, but is it possible to get insurance in another state, months before you are even a resident there? The insurance form is due in May right?... Yet I will be in Wisconsin until like the end of June. And on that note, it is possible that I will be getting insurance through my wife's work, so I dont necessarily want to buy into something on the marketplace, but again thats up in the air because of the whole timing of the move to Missouri and when my wife can find work.

Do you think I would be best to just fill out the form with my insurance I have now, and then figure it out later since I we will be getting different insurance in July or August anyways?

If not, are people just going through the state marketplaces? Its really weird that the school does not offer any form of insurance for the students...?

What is everyone else doing about this?

I was surprised that quite a few of the schools I interviewed at do not offer insurance options for students. And I will be in the same boat when my husband and I both leave our current jobs and move to whichever school I end up at. Thanks for bringing this up... definitely something to think about!

It's ironic that med schools don't help provide health insurance, but on a positive note current students got another letter from the president saying there will be a 1% decrease in tuition for next year.