Kansas State c/o 2018 Applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't have to go into work today because of the snow. Now I'm going to be moping all day.

Members don't see this ad.

Well this is heart breaking. Does Kansas release waitlisted numbers/ranking/whatever?

In the past they didn't give out rankings for the waitlist. The amount that the waitlist moves varies every year...I think it was 5 years ago that they went through the entire list, but the year after that I don't think they took anyone (because they had ended up over-accepting and having a larger class size than intended).

Oh well that's just peachy that it's so inconsistent. :meh: Does this mean they wait until August to reject you or do they just not contact you at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wait listed also. But I am looking at it very positively. It means that I wasn't immediately ousted. The letter does say, "It has been our experience that a considerable number of alternates are granted admission during the spring and summer." I imagine this is because people pick their in-state school (and why wouldn't you when tuition for an out of stater at Kansas is 50,463/year?).

Be positive!! :)

On the same note, the letter says to immediately let them know if you do not want to be on the wait list--should I send Janelle an e-mail saying that I positively want to stay on the wait list?

Reactions: 1 users
I got the letter - I'm in! :soexcited: I can hardly believe it...

Best of luck guys - I know they said the waitlist has really moved in past years. :luck:

Reactions: 6 users
I'm in, too! Still re-reading it to make sure it's legit.
Good luck waitlisters!

Nada in the mail here in MN. I don't know if I should be on the lookout or not considering I was on the oh-so-vague "waitlist for an interview" email I got in late December. :shrug: E-mail said I would here more in "late spring", but as a Minnesotan--I'm sure most others would agree as well--I do not consider very early February as any part of spring ('cept maybe "Spring Semester"). Thanks to Punxsutawney Phil's shadow, even early spring is still six weeks away. :meh:

Congratulations to all you lovely accepted students!! And while, right now (today, this week, etc.) it may not seem like a good place to be, keep your chin up about that wait list @evilsquirrel!! That is a huge accomplishment!! Time will tell, but step by step you are getting closer to a DVM!! :claps:

Reactions: 1 user
@ZiskaShepherds I got my letter in Nebraska today, so I would think you won't be too far behind.

Hi all. Congratulations on your acceptances and those who are waitlisted. I checked my mail and no letter. I live in California. The wait continues...

Congrats to the people who got in! I hope we see you in the fall. @TessaPaws, I am hoping you get good news tomorrow!

Just got my acceptance up in michigan! Unfortunately I will most likey decline it, hopefully that helps out someone on the waitlist

Just got my acceptance up in michigan! Unfortunately I will most likey decline it, hopefully that helps out someone on the waitlist
Congrats! Hopefully the declining is because of an acceptance somewhere else. Good luck on your journey!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations and good luck where ever you end up. :)

Any current students have some insight for housing? I know K-State's VetMed website has a page, but I'm looking for personal experiences: any companies not to rent from? Any that come highly recommended? I'm just trying to get a list of places together I can visit and scope out when I'm ready to find a place. Any input would be appreciated :)

Any current students have some insight for housing? I know K-State's VetMed website has a page, but I'm looking for personal experiences: any companies not to rent from? Any that come highly recommended? I'm just trying to get a list of places together I can visit and scope out when I'm ready to find a place. Any input would be appreciated :)

Can't offer any personal experience with any apartments as I live in a house owned by one of my roommates, but the website is useful and how I found my place.

http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admit/housing/index.htm

One tidbit of advice I can offer though is if you deal with any of the apartment complexes that don't house undergrads or only juniors/seniors/grad students, make sure you specify that you're a graduate student, don't just say first year vet student or whatever. Yeah it seems obvious to us to make the distinction, but I know a couple people who thought they were good but later on found out they got kicked off the list because the place thought they were a new undergrad and by that time the complex was all full and those people had to sort of scramble a little to find an apartment they liked somewhere else. Also, you're probably aware but Aggieville is the bar district so live near there at your own risk of noise, etc.

There's lots of housing though, so don't freak out about not finding anywhere.

If I go here, I'm living in aggie ville, because why not?

Well you can add me to the waitlisted list! The wait continues. :oops:)

Welcome, TessaPaws. :). Have you heard anything from anyone else?

My letter didn't even say I was on the alternate list :( This cycle was supposed to be the good one.

My letter didn't even say I was on the alternate list :( This cycle was supposed to be the good one.

Oh Cloverbug, I'm so sorry to hear that! This morning, I got a response to my email that was much the same as your letter. :( It is hard to handle, but we'll get through this.

I hope you will be getting better news from the remaining schools!! Fingers crossed for Iowa State!!! :luck:

Oh Cloverbug, I'm so sorry to hear that! This morning, I got a response to my email that was much the same as your letter. :( It is hard to handle, but we'll get through this.

I hope you will be getting better news from the remaining schools!! Fingers crossed for Iowa State!!! :luck:
It's especially hard when I have hundreds of more hours in a bunch of different things and I'm still in the same place as last year so far. Blargh! I'm sorry you got the same news as me. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Hopefully Iowa State won't make Valentine's day a sad day.

Nope. Still playing the waiting game. Cloverbug, I'm so sorry. I hope Iowa comes through for you.

I didn't realize how depressing applying to schools was. The application fee should have included the cost of a therapist, haha.

Reactions: 5 users
Hope you guys get good luck from other schools!:luck:

I didn't realize how depressing applying to schools was. The application fee should have included the cost of a therapist, haha.
I think it should cover the cost of therapist for all of us, the waiting drives everyone crazy!

I feel like these applications negatively make us re-evaluate our self worth. It's dumb. And costly.

For the people who were accepted, how much is the deposit to hold your spot? I don't remember and having difficulty locating it again...

For the people who were accepted, how much is the deposit to hold your spot? I don't remember and having difficulty locating it again...
$500..still have my fingers crossed for you, evilsquirrel.
Can't offer any personal experience with any apartments as I live in a house owned by one of my roommates, but the website is useful and how I found my place.

http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admit/housing/index.htm

One tidbit of advice I can offer though is if you deal with any of the apartment complexes that don't house undergrads or only juniors/seniors/grad students, make sure you specify that you're a graduate student, don't just say first year vet student or whatever. Yeah it seems obvious to us to make the distinction, but I know a couple people who thought they were good but later on found out they got kicked off the list because the place thought they were a new undergrad and by that time the complex was all full and those people had to sort of scramble a little to find an apartment they liked somewhere else. Also, you're probably aware but Aggieville is the bar district so live near there at your own risk of noise, etc.

There's lots of housing though, so don't freak out about not finding anywhere.
Thank you!

I was just wondering because Purdue is 1,000 and god forbid I'm wait listed by both schools.

I was just wondering because Purdue is 1,000 and god forbid I'm wait listed by both schools.
:wow: ...was my first reaction. But considering it will be a drop in the bucket compared to what we are going to spend over the next few years, I guess it isn't that bad. Plus, it is a deposit, and will be used toward your balance (at least at Kansas, it is).

:wow: ...was my first reaction. But considering it will be a drop in the bucket compared to what we are going to spend over the next few years, I guess it isn't that bad. Plus, it is a deposit, and will be used toward your balance (at least at Kansas, it is).

He made my day when he said this at the pizza party.

What is it? 9.5 more weeks until the wait listed start hearing back? Somebody wake me up when it's April.

It is 66 days to be exact. :confused:

Secondly, why were you up at 6:30 this morning?! lol.

Oh dear. That is unfortunate. I am so glad I work nights for most of my jobiness.

Current students: do you have any idea who I could contact to ask questions about KSU? I'm curious about how many students failed out and how many clinicians have left. I also want to hear straight from the school why students failed/what the school did (if anything) to help them. I looked on the website and saw that if students fail one class, they are dismissed. I am not a fan of this policy because I find it hard to believe that students work their butts off to make it to vet school just to slack off and fail out... :eyebrow::annoyed: I also want to hear about resources they offer students (you know, separate from just banning the internet).

I liked the program and the students on my interview day seemed very positive, but it is important to me for a school to offer support to its students.

Thanks!!

Reactions: 2 users
Current students: do you have any idea who I could contact to ask questions about KSU? I'm curious about how many students failed out and how many clinicians have left. I also want to hear straight from the school why students failed/what the school did (if anything) to help them. I looked on the website and saw that if students fail one class, they are dismissed. I am not a fan of this policy because I find it hard to believe that students work their butts off to make it to vet school just to slack off and fail out... :eyebrow::annoyed: I also want to hear about resources they offer students (you know, separate from just banning the internet).

I liked the program and the students on my interview day seemed very positive, but it is important to me for a school to offer support to its students.

Thanks!!
If you find anything out let me know please!!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm declining my OOS invitation in favor of my IS school. I hope someone here gets the spot!

As a current K-Stater, I can tell you that I have been very pleased with the program so far. I feel like professors are great about getting back to you and about clarifying any material that is unclear. I think they're really good about sharing an answer to a good email question not just with the person who asked but with the whole class. They will also do review sessions outside of normal class time. In gross, I know some students made appointments with professors to meet outside of class time for further review. We had a few physiology open review sessions before particular exams. We also have tutors available upon request. As far as the specific numbers go on students failing out and clinicians leaving, I'm afraid I don't know those. But I wouldn't hesitate to contact the school directly and ask those questions. In my opinion, I don't think that the people who were in my class and will now be in the class of 2018 failed due to lack of available resources for help.

I haven't been following this thread this year, but I will also note just in case someone didn't earlier that only the third year class had their internet access revoked, and my understanding was that it was after they knew that they were being monitored because of complaints from the previous year regarding the distraction of people doing other things during class.

Anyway, I hope this helps some. If you have more specific questions, feel free to let me know :)

I could definitely be bias because I attend kstate for undergrad and it's the ony vet school I applied to! But there is not a thing anyone could say to me that would change my opinion on this university because I've experienced the passionate professors at the undergrad level and the vet school. I met a veterinarian in my home state of New Jersey and he made me fall in love with KSU. Being that he is still so involved with the university I trusted his opinion and visited as a high schooler. I moved 1300 miles away from my comfort zone to be in manhattan, ks. I have never regretted it for a second. I've made connections, I've done the work but I had ALOT of help along the way... Tutors every semester and long hours of trying to be the best applicant for vet school. 3 years later I got into my dream school a year early and get to be a wildcat for four more years. Along the way I've fallen in love with an amazing person and fallen in love with rural Kansas. The professors at the vet school have allowed me to understand my passion better and help me accomplish my goals. I cannot wait to be a mixed animal practitioner in Kansas and I'll forever be coming back to K-State. I absolutely bleed purple and I hope my future children realize quickly they can't go anywhere else. I promise every single person the majority of facility have the same passion for this university. I live it every day. This is a great place to be with amazing caring people. I wouldn't be a vet student come August if it wasn't for this school. Every school has issues but I can promise everyone this university does not want anyone to fail. KSU has literally made me who I am. Go cats :)

Can any current students (@Frozenshades) tell us about what to expect for first year and how you've been surviving?! If you have some time I would love to hear how you got through first semester and what the 2018'er should be expecting. Thanks so much!

Sent off my deposit yesterday. Pretty pumped for next year!

Still crossing of the days till April 16th, hoping for a phone call. lol. As of Friday, it will be exactly 40 days.

Still crossing of the days till April 16th, hoping for a phone call. lol. As of Friday, it will be exactly 40 days.
Fingers crossed for you! I have my check made out and ready to send- just waiting on hearing from the last school I applied to.

Giving up my OOS seat, hopefully you'll get a call sooner than April 16th

gave up my OOS seat as well, hope someone on the waitlist gets that call!

Can any current students (@Frozenshades) tell us about what to expect for first year and how you've been surviving?! If you have some time I would love to hear how you got through first semester and what the 2018'er should be expecting. Thanks so much!

Honestly, first year here really isn't so bad :)

The normal first year schedule has you in classes and labs Mon-Thu with an exam every Friday. You may have class Friday afternoon depending on what electives you choose. A lot of people choose to go hang out in the hospital for a bit and/or just take the day off. I'm usually posted up in the lab for my graduate work. Occasionally you might have a week with multiple tests, and that again also varies with elective choices.

It's not a huge deal and I think most of us fall back into this eventually, but you might try to start off by doing your best not just studying on a week to week basis for whatever exam you have next. For one, it's nice to be on top of everything and also the nicety goes away second year when multiple exams per week and class everyday is the norm, so not falling behind becomes a bit more important.

The faculty for anatomy and histology are great and around the lab a ton, especially before your exams. I remember before finals one of the professors came strolling through and it was at the very least a dead day, but I think it may have been a weekend too; he stopped and chatted with us and answered any questions we had.

Also, while it's good to take advantage of the resources available to students, maybe wait and see how things are really going before you jump at all the opportunities. After the first physio test our entire class got an e-mail basically telling us we need to stop freaking and slow our roll cause way too many people had requested tutors than the number of upperclassman tutors were available to handle. And make sure you request a second year buddy when they ask, you'll get lots of good old notes and tests :p

They already told me that they wouldn't be calling anyone until after April 15. Which, I understand, but I just want to know!! But congrats on your other acceptances. :)