Kansas State c/o 2018 Applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you @Frozenshades ! You are the best :)

:cool:

No prob, happy to help answer your questions. And feel free to come track me down once you're here.

Members don't see this ad.

Just gave up my OOS acceptance. Good luck to the wait listers! Hope one of you gets my spot :)

Hey! Do we have a facebook group set up for c/o 2018? I'm super excited about K-State!

Members don't see this ad :)
Declining my OOS spot to go to my IS penn! Good luck to the waitlisters!!

Hey! I also gave up my OOS waitlist spot so goodluck! I hope it moves pretty good for you waitlisters!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current students: do you have any idea who I could contact to ask questions about KSU? I'm curious about how many students failed out and how many clinicians have left. I also want to hear straight from the school why students failed/what the school did (if anything) to help them. I looked on the website and saw that if students fail one class, they are dismissed. I am not a fan of this policy because I find it hard to believe that students work their butts off to make it to vet school just to slack off and fail out... :eyebrow::annoyed: I also want to hear about resources they offer students (you know, separate from just banning the internet).

I liked the program and the students on my interview day seemed very positive, but it is important to me for a school to offer support to its students.

Thanks!!

honestly i doubt if you try to contact the school directly you will really get straight answers. depends on your class really for how many people fail out. the class above mine had quite a few fail in the second and third year. granted their grading scale during second year was different from how how it is now. my class we only lost a few during second year but third year fall semester we got slammed. our class never lost anyone to first year and I never really heard any of the years above us lose anyone to first year. however the past 2 years, the first year class has lost some students. because you fail out does not mean that you can never come back it just means you are behind by a year and a committee decides what courses you need to retake. with all of that being said ksu is in the process of changing their policy where if you have a D as long as you have certain grades to balance it out and your GPA is at a certain level you can still move on with your class. there is talk that the policy will be changing as early as next school year but I don't know all of the specifics and details. The school doesn't really do any hand holding for you.
I will be honest with you vet school is hard. First year is easier than others but it also depends on your background. I found what others have told me to be true where its not necessarily the information itself that is difficult but the mass quantities of information that is thrown at you so quickly that can be overwhelming. I never really studied in undergrad and did just fine but I HAD to study in vet school even during first year. I studied much more than I had in the past and I had to change my study habits and the way that I learned things. I also had to learn how to sit in a classroom again for 8 hours a day and just take down and absorb information (in undergrad I held several jobs and was always doing tons of extra curriculars so I was never in class for more than a few hours at a time max).
For us we in third year we did have internet banned during class hours which blows but it has helped out class I think (though some days all I want is internet and hey thats where smart phones come in). Second years were not allowed to have internet during Radiology. First year professors are great especially those in Gross Anatomy as I'm sure you heard. We have tutors available free of charge to you as a student as well. Also if you are struggling in a class don't be afraid to approach the professors. The clinical pathology professor comes in every Sunday during his course to hold a review session for anyone who has questions. When I and several of my friends were struggling in pathology with all of the histopath and in first year with all of the micro stuff we talked to professors and they would come in on their lunch time to go through material with us on the multi headed scope. You have to pursue getting help, it won't be given to you on a silver platter (I dont mean to sound so negative but I hear people complaining about not understanding material but not make any effort to get help and it drives me bonkers!). I know other people who struggled in Radiology and the clinicians and residents had them come down to the hospital and review cases with them. So with all of that said there ARE resources for you!
I don't know how many clinicians have left since I have been here but there have been quite a few but there have also been some awesome hires. What are you looking to work in? Small, large, mixed, exotics, specialty?
I didnt mean this to be so long or complicated. and if i sound all negative i dont mean to its just been a long week. but i hope that helped answer some of your questions

Any word my fellow waitlisters? I haven't heard a peep.

Any word my fellow waitlisters? I haven't heard a peep.
Don't know if it makes you feel any better but for some of my fellow classmates they were on the waitlist up until like the week before classes started and then they got the call that they could join our class if they would like.

Don't know if it makes you feel any better but for some of my fellow classmates they were on the waitlist up until like the week before classes started and then they got the call that they could join our class if they would like.

That's where I am at right now. I'm going to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I just wish they would tell us where we are on the list.

Hi everyone. Congrats to all of you that have been accepted! I would like to offer you all a housing opportunity, if you have not yet found a place for next year. I will be a second year, and my roommate will be a fourth year. It is a 3 bedroom/ 2 bath duplex in a very nice neighbohood. It is about a five minute drive to the school. There is a washer/dryer, dishwasher, and fenced in backyard. My roommate has a dog and a cat, and I have a small dog, so unfortunately, no other pets at this time, although this might change down the road. Rent will be ~$420 plus utilites. Please PM me if you are interested. Congrats again! I look forward to seeing all of your bright and shiny faces next year!

Hi everyone. Congrats to all of you that have been accepted! I would like to offer you all a housing opportunity, if you have not yet found a place for next year. I will be a second year, and my roommate will be a fourth year. It is a 3 bedroom/ 2 bath duplex in a very nice neighbohood. It is about a five minute drive to the school. There is a washer/dryer, dishwasher, and fenced in backyard. My roommate has a dog and a cat, and I have a small dog, so unfortunately, no other pets at this time, although this might change down the road. Rent will be ~$420 plus utilites. Please PM me if you are interested. Congrats again! I look forward to seeing all of your bright and shiny faces next year!

Is this for the other half of the duplex or just the third room?

I also have a housing opportunity to share:

I have 1 room available starting August 1 in a spacious single-family home (3 bedrooms/2 baths) about 7 minutes drive from the vet school. I am a female soon-to-be 3rd year, and the other roommate is male and will be a 2nd year. I have a small dog and a cat that currently live in the house - no other pets will be allowed at this time. The home has central air, a dishwasher, washer/dryer, fenced in backyard. The property is non-smoking. Rent is $400/month + 1/3 utilities (gas, electric, DISH, and Cox internet - average about $100/month each). Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested or for more information!

Lacey

Last edited:
I just emailed Janelle, she said that it is nearing full, but not entirely full yet. KEEP YOUR HOPES UP WAITLISTERS.

I got a phone call earlier today from Ronnie offering me a spot and I declined it so there are still spots. Don't give up!

Reactions: 1 users
I got a phone call earlier today from Ronnie offering me a spot and I declined it so there are still spots. Don't give up!
What time was the call? I know it'd be different for everyone, but I have something I have to do tomorrow and I want to make sure I have on my phone on me in case there is one.

What time was the call? I know it'd be different for everyone, but I have something I have to do tomorrow and I want to make sure I have on my phone on me in case there is one.
It was around 3pm MST

Our class is almost full for the fall semester, however it is likely that students will drop and we will keep selecting off the alternate list. In the past we have contacted alternates up to the week before classes begin in order to keep the class full. That is really the best update that I can give you at this time.

This is exactly what Janel e-mailed me. I had to update my contact info and I thought I would ask how the class was going.

Our class is almost full for the fall semester, however it is likely that students will drop and we will keep selecting off the alternate list. In the past we have contacted alternates up to the week before classes begin in order to keep the class full. That is really the best update that I can give you at this time.

This is exactly what Janel e-mailed me. I had to update my contact info and I thought I would ask how the class was going.

FYI, during my round of Applications I received an email at the end of May telling me that the class was full and to apply again next year. About 2 weeks later I got a call from Dr. Elmore with an offer - so, spots DO open up, even when the class is supposedly full! There's another student in my class who missed Orientation because they got their offer less than a week before classes started.

So don't give up hope guys, it can still happen!

For those of us who didn't receive an interview did we get some sort of "official" denial? I have the email where it says "you will receive a final email regarding your application status as well as information about applying for the Class of 2019 in the late spring," but have yet to see that email.

laceyrose18, I love your Cavi picture! :)

If I get called off the waitlist, I would be bringing the min pin Battie (pictured left), her Chiweenie brother Bill, and my boyfriend along, so I think we would probably get a place for ourselves (particularly since the min pin is psychotic). But if I get the opportunity to attend Kansas, I would love to meet the Cavi. :). I think they're gorgeous.

If I get called off the waitlist, I would be bringing the min pin Battie (pictured left), her Chiweenie brother Bill, and my boyfriend along, so I think we would probably get a place for ourselves (particularly since the min pin is psychotic). But if I get the opportunity to attend Kansas, I would love to meet the Cavi. :). I think they're gorgeous.

Haha yeah that's probably a good call - he's pretty great with people and most other dogs, but unfortunately my cat's an dingus about new pets so we're looking for someone without any.

Thanks for the compliments tho! And I'm sure he'd love to meet you if you do end up here :)

Got called off the wait list (OOS) this morning and accepted the spot, so their waitlist is still moving!

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome! Congratulations. :).

Does anyone know about what sort of medical history or vaccine history we need prior to matriculation? I know some schools require certain vaccines and whatnot, but I haven't heard from KSU so a little help would be nice! I'll be traveling a lot before I move to Kansas and just wanted to get everything squared away since I have time now. Thanks!!

Does anyone know about what sort of medical history or vaccine history we need prior to matriculation? I know some schools require certain vaccines and whatnot, but I haven't heard from KSU so a little help would be nice! I'll be traveling a lot before I move to Kansas and just wanted to get everything squared away since I have time now. Thanks!!
THB, I don't recall anything but you will need to have a series of rabies vx done. This is something you can do prior to entry or it is offered during orientation. Just be sure to bring along proof of vaccination. See if you can get this done through your employer or at home. I paid for my rabies vaccine to be done here and my insurance didn't cover it. Altogether it was close to $700. Ask you health insurer if it will cover all or part of it, too.

Well, it happened!!!! I got the call from Dr. Elmore yesterday! Good luck to those of you still waiting. I hope good news comes your way! I can't believe it. I'm going to vet school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I hope the list does move more. lol. I got an e-mail from Janel saying the class is now full. That's awesome that you made it in before the e-mail got sent out. :)

I just withdrew my seat so I hope one of you gets the call! Good luck!!

Tessa you may have given me my spot! I got the call yesterday at maybe forty minutes after you posted this. So.... THANK YOU