Kansas State Class of 2019!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Open file. Be ready to answer questions from your application. The interview highly depends on who you get. Some have very chill interviewers and had a very laid back atmosphere, and some had interviewers that were grilling them non-stop. Mine was a mix of the two - one of the interviewers was extremely friendly and conversational and the other two were serious and inexpressive until the very end when I made them laugh with some witty comment I can't remember.

^ This. Interviewed this year and last, fairly different experience each time. First year was mostly soft-ball questions from my app, but this year was about as intense of an interview as I've had at any school. Still based loosely on my app, but more of the "can you really handle this" kind of nature vs the "getting to know you" feel I've had elsewhere. Also, I found the 30min time-frame to be very rushed, but I had just come from a 1-hour session at Iowa the day before...

Members don't see this ad.

^ This. Interviewed this year and last, fairly different experience each time. First year was mostly soft-ball questions from my app, but this year was about as intense of an interview as I've had at any school. Still based loosely on my app, but more of the "can you really handle this" kind of nature vs the "getting to know you" feel I've had elsewhere. Also, I found the 30min time-frame to be very rushed, but I had just come from a 1-hour session at Iowa the day before...
What about current events? Yes or no? Idk if this is asking too much info lol just wanna make sure I'm preparing well ;)

I've never been asked, but it's not a bad idea to prep for it anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they asked me to mention some current news that excited me. I answered with the new drug box rule for vets and they then asked me about the recent negotiations Obama is doing with Cuba (I'm Cuban so I'm sure that's why they asked) and what I thought on the matter. Thankfully I was just expressing my views on this to another applicant's dad right before the interview so I was very ready for this question.

They can ask you literally anything. It's usually ethical questions, questions on your personal experiences, and a few "what would you do if...." questions. Just be honest and answer the best you can and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
What about current events? Yes or no? Idk if this is asking too much info lol just wanna make sure I'm preparing well ;)
I wasn't asked specifically about current events at K-State but I did talk about one or two when we were talking about ethical issues. It certainly doesn't hurt to know what's going on in the world of vet med and current events outside of vet med too.

Yes, Dr. Richardson is retiring, he is the dean of the veterinary school. Dr. Elmore is the dean of admissions and has been for a long time

That's all I was looking for. lol.

I would definitely do some prep for current events both in the veterinary industry and the rest of the world. In my interview last year, I was asked if I knew what One Health is and asked to talk about it. Also be prepared that they may ask you some questions where you don't know the answer and it is ok to tell them that. Just don't try to fumble through it and B.S. your answer. They will see right through that and don't like it. Be honest and be yourself.

Had an overall great experience at my interview this morning :) thanks for all the advice !!

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody else stuck in Kansas right now due to flight cancellations?
Yeah that's bad timing for you guys. Was not expecting that weather. Just drove over to school, geez it's windy out. Not sure if it's any better out east but definitely look into KC airport instead of Manhattan, it's only a couple hours away.

I was just telling my mom the silver lining of not being in this interview weekend is that we would be stuck in Manhattan because we would have driven from Denver to get there. There's a silver lining to everything. lol.

Totally forgot ya'll were interviewing and was confused why very dressed up people were touring the hospital today -that's what emergency anesthesia does to the brain! Good luck everyone!

How did everyone's interviews go this weekend? I had a fantastic experience! I've never met such nice, accommodating people in my whole life. Absolutely love K-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did everyone's interviews go this weekend? I had a fantastic experience! I've never met such nice, accommodating people in my whole life. Absolutely love K-state.

My interview experience was also fantastic! Despite the weather, I had a wonderful time while in Manhattan. I was completely impressed by Dr. Elmore, the student ambassadors, the campus, and all of Manhattan in general. I attended the pizza party and thought it was very informational. Visiting the school and having such a positive experience will make it even harder if I receive a "not this time" letter. I am crossing my fingers and praying that in two weeks I can start preparing for a life full of purple!

Question for those of you who have received acceptance, waitlist, and rejection letters in the past... what types of envelopes do they come in?

My interview experience was also fantastic! Despite the weather, I had a wonderful time while in Manhattan. I was completely impressed by Dr. Elmore, the student ambassadors, the campus, and all of Manhattan in general. I attended the pizza party and thought it was very informational. Visiting the school and having such a positive experience will make it even harder if I receive a "not this time" letter. I am crossing my fingers and praying that in two weeks I can start preparing for a life full of purple!

Question for those of you who have received acceptance, waitlist, and rejection letters in the past... what types of envelopes do they come in?
Acceptance letter came in a standard size envelope, with three pages inside.

To those who have interviewed- do you know when we are supposed to hear??

I got in....but i'm waiting to hear from my in state school. We don't have to do anything until the April deadline, right? I'm just paranoid.

I got in....but i'm waiting to hear from my in state school. We don't have to do anything until the April deadline, right? I'm just paranoid.

Yep, no school can require you to decide before April 15th. Congrats!

When did your acceptance come if you don't mind me asking?

I AM IN! I interviewed on the 1st and just got my letter! It was post marked 2/6/2015, so it was pretty quick turn around!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my acceptance letter as well. Interviewed on the 31st.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to those with acceptances - lucky ducks!

For those of us who have interviewed but have not yet received news... does anyone know when waitlist or rejection notifications might go out?

I AM IN! I interviewed on the 1st and just got my letter! It was post marked 2/6/2015, so it was pretty quick turn around!!!!
did you interview as an OOS? and congrats!!

did you interview as an OOS? and congrats!!
I was out of state. When I interviewed one of the student ambassadors said that they typically do 1 weekend of IS and two weeks of OOS, the 31st and 1st being the 2nd OOS weekend.
I don't know if that is correct or not...

I was out of state. When I interviewed one of the student ambassadors said that they typically do 1 weekend of IS and two weeks of OOS, the 31st and 1st being the 2nd OOS weekend.
I don't know if that is correct or not...

Pretty sure this is correct. I am IS but I interviewed on the 18th and my interviewers were very confused. My guess is that the application got put in the wrong file because I'm technically IS but currently in grad school OOS. My acceptance letter went out two days after I interviewed

Edit: I think there were 3 oos weekends though

I'M IN!!!!! Interviewed February 1st!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in! I interviewed on the 1st, letter was postmarked on the 6th, arrived today. I'm OOS. :)

Just got my letter of acceptance! They mailed the letter to my home address not my school one.

I have officially mailed the paperwork rejecting my seat, so I hope one of y'all gets it :). Good luck to those on the waitlist and congrats to those accepted! My sister loved her 4 years here and it's honestly a phenomenal school!

Juuuust checked my mail and I'm wait-listed. Wah-wah. Dunno why mail takes so long to get to me. I mean, it's not like Texas is a big state or anything. ;)

Accepted as an OOS. Certainly was not expecting that, that interview threw me really hard. Like really hard. But I'm so happy!!!!

I got accepted! I'm OOS, interviewed on the 1st, received my letter yesterday! Congrats to everyone else!

I heard they go through a lot of their wait list so congrats and good luck!

Some years they do, some years they don't. Something like 7 years ago, they went through their entire waitlist, which was what I was counting on last year when I was waitlisted. Last year, I think they went through 20ish, so no dice for me then.

Congrats to y'all accepted!! For y'all waitlisted, I do recommend doing a file review with them over the summer anyways. I wish I had done so.

Congrats to y'all accepted!! For y'all waitlisted, I do recommend doing a file review with them over the summer anyways. I wish I had done so.

They specifically asked me if I had done a file review this year, which I hadn't because I had been on the waitlist. Fortunately I had done one at Iowa and could speak to changes in my application based on that, but it still didn't lend any real strength to my Kansas interview. But I guess we'll know for sure when I check my mail tonight...

They specifically asked me if I had done a file review this year, which I hadn't because I had been on the waitlist. Fortunately I had done one at Iowa and could speak to changes in my application based on that, but it still didn't lend any real strength to my Kansas interview. But I guess we'll know for sure when I check my mail tonight...

I wish I had just to see what kept me going. Last year, I applied with a 3.33 and 135 hours of experience (though above average GRE scores, over 10,000 animal hours, and some sweet letters). What was it in my paper application that got me the interview and what about everything got me a waitlist spot? While a lot of schools have said that doing well in some areas can help when you have low grades, what is the cut off point for that. My GPA went to 3.27 this cycle, and I got nothing (not even a rejection yet). I applied to 5 schools last year and 3 told me they only to file reviews for those that interviewed, did one at CSU, and then didn't do K-State. In hind site, I wish I had.

Edit: I also applied with 1100 vet hours this year to help improve the application.

Has anyone who interviewed on the 31st heard back yet? I'm anxiously waiting!!

Wait-listed OOS. But I've been accepted to my IS so I will rejecting my spot on the list. Hopefully it helps out someone on here! I figured I wouldn't get in because I don't have a desire to do large or mixed practice...the wait-list was a surprise!

Wait-listed OOS. But I've been accepted to my IS so I will rejecting my spot on the list. Hopefully it helps out someone on here! I figured I wouldn't get in because I don't have a desire to do large or mixed practice...the wait-list was a surprise!
Is that actually a valid reason for getting out on the waitlist? Do they just plan on pumping out large animal vets? I applied because it's a great school for zoo/exotics. :/

Still nothing... Has anyone actually received an outright rejection yet? I interviewed on the 18th!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who were accepted! Happy for everyone, it's really just so awesome to see people getting in and feeling successful! For those of us on the "alternate" list, I was hoping for some help here...this is my first time on this merry-go-round of craziness so my head is buzzing with mucho questions. From prior threads, I see we have no idea as to the ranking and thus no idea how close we are. Do y'all know when the waitlist starts to clear? Is this going to be crickets until after 4/15 or will they start to move the waitlist prior? Thanks :)

Is that actually a valid reason for getting out on the waitlist? Do they just plan on pumping out large animal vets? I applied because it's a great school for zoo/exotics. :/

I've never heard that as a reason for anyone lol. But I guess?...

I don't think they just look for applicants interested in large and mixed animals. I was accepted and while I do have experience with both large and small animals, I plan on being a small animal vet. However, during my interview they did ask me a few questions about food animals and one of my recommendations was from a food animal professor.

Also, one of my other recommendations was from a K-State grad that is a small animal veterinarian.

So there's that.

They might give a little preference to those who are interested in LA, especially because of how involved KS is in the livestock industry. We're the #3 beef producing state in the US! :)

Obviously it's not going to be the ONLY reason, but I can definitely see it as a valid reason