Kansas State Class of 2019!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that actually a valid reason for getting out on the waitlist? Do they just plan on pumping out large animal vets? I applied because it's a great school for zoo/exotics. :/

That's why I applied, but my interviewers were more interested in asking me farm animal questions than wildlife even though wildlife is my strong point and farm animal is my weakest (which I told them). Also my limited farm animal experience was in Belize which isn't the same as in the USA so I was unsure about some of the things they asked me about in relation to the United States (which maybe they thought I should have known, *shrugs*).

Another thing that was kind of weird was that all the Ambassador's were LA or mixed (from what I remembered). As Country_roads said, that's probably not the only reason I was wait-listed but I got the vibe from the school that it probably factored in. Didn't mean to sound sour grapes or anything, so apologize if that's how it came across! Was just surprised at the outcome!

Members don't see this ad.

That's why I applied, but my interviewers were more interested in asking me farm animal questions than wildlife even though wildlife is my strong point and farm animal is my weakest (which I told them). Also my limited farm animal experience was in Belize which isn't the same as in the USA so I was unsure about some of the things they asked me about in relation to the United States (which maybe they thought I should have known, *shrugs*).

Another thing that was kind of weird was that all the Ambassador's were LA or mixed (from what I remembered). As Country_roads said, that's probably not the only reason I was wait-listed but I got the vibe from the school that it probably factored in. Didn't mean to sound sour grapes or anything, so apologize if that's how it came across! Was just surprised at the outcome!

It was the opposite for me. They didn't ask me a single LA question and instead were "selling" me on why I should go there if I'm interested in exotics. The further I get into this process the more I believe the theory that they just pick names out of a hat. Sigh.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm LA/FA all the way and they didn't ask me any questions about it and the majority of my hours are in these areas. I was asked about my relatively small amount of time at a SA shelter and my 40 hours of wildlife volunteering!

Members don't see this ad :)
It was the opposite for me. They didn't ask me a single LA question and instead were "selling" me on why I should go there if I'm interested in exotics. The further I get into this process the more I believe the theory that they just pick names out of a hat. Sigh.
Apparently they did have a zoo/exotics guy there for interviews but he didn't interview me which was such a bummer. And I agree. WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?!

I got the "zoo/exotics guy" for my interview. lol Maybe they did this deliberately to see how we would handle it?

Is that actually a valid reason for getting out on the waitlist? Do they just plan on pumping out large animal vets? I applied because it's a great school for zoo/exotics. :/

Doubt it. I mean I'm sure they want some people interested in that track, but in my class I feel there's only a few who want to do FA or equine. Lots of small animal and zoo/wildlife/exotics people, though there's some interest in mixed practice as well. I wasn't shy during my applications that it's not unlikely I'll never spend any time practicing.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who were accepted! Happy for everyone, it's really just so awesome to see people getting in and feeling successful! For those of us on the "alternate" list, I was hoping for some help here...this is my first time on this merry-go-round of craziness so my head is buzzing with mucho questions. From prior threads, I see we have no idea as to the ranking and thus no idea how close we are. Do y'all know when the waitlist starts to clear? Is this going to be crickets until after 4/15 or will they start to move the waitlist prior? Thanks :)

I believe in the past they have waited until the April deadline before making any calls, so I imagine it will be the same.
Apparently they did have a zoo/exotics guy there for interviews but he didn't interview me which was such a bummer. And I agree. WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?!

I feel like that's vet school admissions in a nut shell. And yes, he's a pretty big name for exotics and zoo and well known.

Still nothing... Has anyone actually received an outright rejection yet? I interviewed on the 18th!

I know some people got outright rejections when the "interview waitlist" e-mail went out.

For those of you still waiting for a letter:

I interviewed January 18th, OOS from Chicago (but I currently live in Philly). My acceptance letter was sent to my permanent address in Chicago and did not come until Tuesday, February 13th. My letter was postmarked January 23rd so obviously, there was some kind of hold-up. Don't sweat it! Post could be backed up :)

I interviewed January 18th as well, OOS from NY. My letter arrived Monday, February 9th (my mom called me while I was at Illinois interviewing). It was postmarked February 6th, so they might not have finished sending everything out yet.

I'm LA/FA all the way and they didn't ask me any questions about it and the majority of my hours are in these areas. I was asked about my relatively small amount of time at a SA shelter and my 40 hours of wildlife volunteering!

Sheer curiosity here: Do you plan to focus on beef, dairy, poultry, swine etc specifically?

I'm not sure yet. Sorry for the boring answer.

Ah, I figured you'd be a poultry person! Coming from Alabama and whatnot

Regardless, there's nothing boring about any of our food animals! ...Except someone else can take care of the pigs. I am NOT a swine person o___o

Ah, I figured you'd be a poultry person! Coming from Alabama and whatnot

Regardless, there's nothing boring about any of our food animals! ...Except someone else can take care of the pigs. I am NOT a swine person o___o

I'm actually living in northwest Florida, which we call "lower Alabama". Originally from upstate NY- lots of dairy farms and horses. Talk about culture shock!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got a K-State letter in the mail today - wait list.

Better than I expected!

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to make a fb page that would be awesome because I want to ask advice about finding a place to live lol

Well I'm graduating and want to sell my place which is why I want the page but I don't want to start it since I won't be a part of the group for long

Yay! I can finally live out my dream of living in a trailer! (There is not an ounce of sarcasm, I really freakin want one!!!) does anyone know if there are any places as such nearby? I forgot to ask at interview.

Yay! I can finally live out my dream of living in a trailer! (There is not an ounce of sarcasm, I really freakin want one!!!) does anyone know if there are any places as such nearby? I forgot to ask at interview.
Yes there is! Pm me, I will tell you where my sister lived! She highly advised actually buying a trailer and renting out the second room and you will literally be living essentially rent free there. It's a cheap option, and it's not what you would think a "typical trailer" to be, it was actually fairly nice :)

Does anyone know if all acceptances, wait lists, and rejections have gone out? I haven't heard a peep from Kansas since January 21.

Does anyone know if all acceptances, wait lists, and rejections have gone out? I haven't heard a peep from Kansas since January 21.
I'd call but I think most if not all acceptances and wait lists have gone out.

I forgot how much it sucks trying to find a reasonably priced apartment in Manhattan -___-

Has anyone been called off the wait list? Also does anyone know how many ppl are on it and how far down it do they usually go? Is there two separate lists for IS and OOS or just a conbined one?

Try a bigger city first and then you'll appreciate how cheap rent is here :p

I dunno, when I've lived in bigger cities (okay 350,000 is the biggest I've lived in...) I've always been able to find houses/apartments for $350 or below.

Then again, I'm also always living in the heart of the crappiest neighborhood in the city so there's that I guess

Hi, if anyone is looking for a place to live now or when they get off of the waitlist, I have already signed a lease with another first year student. It is a four bedroom, two bathroom duplex with a yard and garage. We are looking for someone who does not have a dog because the other roommates dog is not dog friendly but is very friendly with people and other pets. The rent would be $1525 split 4 ways, so ~$380 per month plus utilities/internet. It is $45 in pet rent for any pets so that would be $425 per month. Please email me if you would like any pictures or more information about us. My email is [email protected]

Has anyone been called off the wait list? Also does anyone know how many ppl are on it and how far down it do they usually go? Is there two separate lists for IS and OOS or just a conbined one?
Nope, still waiting. We aren't going to hear until after April 15th....I think KState does have separate IS and OOS lists.

For those of you at KState now, I see that there is a new bus system.

I've only been able to find info online about the park n' ride which from what I can tell is only on campus. However, I saw a couple bus stops around over on streets like 16th and etc. Is the bus free for students? Reduced fare?

There's a solid bus system where I am now and I'm really quite spoiled. I want to be walking distance from campus, but if there's a legitimate bus system in place now obviously that gives me more leeway in looking for places

Just declined my OOS spot, good luck to everyone on the wait list, and hope everyone here has a great time at KSU!

Reactions: 2 users
Just declined my OOS spot, good luck to everyone on the wait list, and hope everyone here has a great time at KSU!
Hey this might sound silly but thanks! It means a lot :) I hope you have a great time at the school you picked !! And congrats!!

Spoke with Donna Robbins this morning and apparently rejection letters will not be sent out. She explained that they have completed the selection process and if you haven't heard anything saying that you have been accepted or chosen as an alternate than you can request a file review. I think it's strange that they don't send out a rejection email or letter and that everyone who isn't chosen just stays in limbo.

That seems extremely unprofessional. It's free to send emails and it's not labor intensive. :/

I wonder why they are doing it this way this year. There were rejection letters sent out to those who were not picked for the "interview waitlist", but why not now? Are they anticipating going through their alternate lists and so want to keep everyone in limbo? Regardless, I am going to request a file review after April 15.

I wonder why they are doing it this way this year. There were rejection letters sent out to those who were not picked for the "interview waitlist", but why not now? Are they anticipating going through their alternate lists and so want to keep everyone in limbo? Regardless, I am going to request a file review after April 15.
Well during the pizza party, they mentioned that they've called people that were rejected in the past so maybe that's exactly why they're doing it.

Well during the pizza party, they mentioned that they've called people that were rejected in the past so maybe that's exactly why they're doing it.

They mentioned that at the pizza party last year, too. Which would be awesome, not going to lie. lol. I heard that, like, eight years back they went through the entire wait list.

I don't think KState is being, or intending to be unprofessional....something sounds a bit off I agree, but KState is run like a well-oiled machine and they know exactly what they are doing. There must be a reason they decided not to reject that group of applicants, and the most logical explanation is they want to keep the option open to reach out to those students (who haven't been accepted or waitlisted) if they are need to at some future time.

I just emailed them to remove me from the wait list since I'll be accepting an admissions offer elsewhere. To those still waiting on the list, remember that they tend to go through the entire list (and then some) so try to relax and put it out of your mind until you get the call later on. Don't give up hope!

Reactions: 1 users
I just emailed them to remove me from the wait list since I'll be accepting an admissions offer elsewhere. To those still waiting on the list, remember that they tend to go through the entire list (and then some) so try to relax and put it out of your mind until you get the call later on. Don't give up hope!

Last year they only went through 20 =\

Wait how many ppl are on the wait list and is it half OOS and half IS? Or is there more one than the other?

Wait how many ppl are on the wait list and is it half OOS and half IS? Or is there more one than the other?

For most schools, IS waitlist is usually no more than 20 since those seats fill up very easily. OOS is usually in the hundereds because most applicants will choose their IS or another school that is a better fit for them. For the class of 2017, only 1 IS declined a position and 147 OOS declined a position. That number varies a lot for OOS.