Kansas State Class of 2019!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh wow!! Im wait listed at Ohio State as well and they only have one list (OOS and IS combined) of 40 people total. Im hoping to get off the list for KSU and OSU!!! going crazy waiting for April 15th and beyondddd

Members don't see this ad.

Last year they only went through 20 =\

That's awesome that you found that out. Where did you hear this? I was on the waitlist last year and gave up hope on August 20. I don't want to be the debby downer. Yes, keep on hoping, but please have a back up plan just in case.

Reactions: 1 user
That's awesome that you found that out. Where did you hear this? I was on the waitlist last year and gave up hope on August 20. I don't want to be the debby downer. Yes, keep on hoping, but please have a back up plan just in case.

I was on the waitlist last year too, so I feel your pain. And one of my friends found out for me, she is currently in the class of '17.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be declining my acceptance (OOS). Good luck everyone!

Called finaid office today. They said they will be sending out financial awards in the next two or so weeks

oh wow!! Im wait listed at Ohio State as well and they only have one list (OOS and IS combined) of 40 people total. Im hoping to get off the list for KSU and OSU!!! going crazy waiting for April 15th and beyondddd
who told you OSU waitlist is only 40?

So I discovered earlier today that Kansas does not participate in the health professions/disadvantaged student loans.

:( Boo.

So I discovered earlier today that Kansas does not participate in the health professions/disadvantaged student loans.

:( Boo.
Are you sure? I spoke with the Fin. Aid director (or whatever his title was) and he said they do have the health professions loans that are based on need.

Are you sure? I spoke with the Fin. Aid director (or whatever his title was) and he said they do have the health professions loans that are based on need.

I haven't spoke with the fin. aid. office directly, I was just looking up the participating schools for the Health Professions loans on the government site and they don't list KSU at all. But if the Fin. Aid director says they have them, I'll bet they do! (I hope they do)

I also saw that there were loans and grants from the alumni association that go to "students with exceptional need" so I was wondering if maybe all the "poor students" loans are lumped in to that category.

I haven't spoke with the fin. aid. office directly, I was just looking up the participating schools for the Health Professions loans on the government site and they don't list KSU at all. But if the Fin. Aid director says they have them, I'll bet they do! (I hope they do)

I also saw that there were loans and grants from the alumni association that go to "students with exceptional need" so I was wondering if maybe all the "poor students" loans are lumped in to that category.
The website also doesn't list Michigan State and Iowa State and I know 100% that they do participate.

Have any of the waitlisters requested a file review yet? Not sure of the timing as to when to ask for it....do we do it after April 15th or should we already have made the request? In looking at other threads, I see people requesting them in March, in May, in June - it's all over the place.

Have any of the waitlisters requested a file review yet? Not sure of the timing as to when to ask for it....do we do it after April 15th or should we already have made the request? In looking at other threads, I see people requesting them in March, in May, in June - it's all over the place.

I'm not requesting either file review until after April 15. However, I do suggest requesting one before May. I found out last year that WSU stops taking requests at the end of May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in my letter to decline my acceptance. It was tough to do, but you just can't beat IS tuition. Good luck waitlisters!

Reactions: 1 users
I declined my OOS offer today. I love K-State, but in-state is far cheaper. Good luck!

Got a call this morning and was offered a spot! I have until Friday to decide. This is going to be a tough week! There's so many things I love about Kansas state but I also got into midwestern university which is close to my family and I like arizona a lot. I would really appreciate any input!

Got a call this morning and was offered a spot! I have until Friday to decide. This is going to be a tough week! There's so many things I love about Kansas state but I also got into midwestern university which is close to my family and I like arizona a lot. I would really appreciate any input!

Congrats! I would go with K state (assuming they have very similar costs) since it has a solid reputation for being a great school. Midwestern - being a new school - does not have much of a reputation. K state also has thousands of alumni that provide donations, thus increasing the amount of scholarships available. Most important of all, Midwestern is not an accredited vet school and won't receive full accreditation (if it does at all) until 2018. It does have provisional accreditation right now, though. I personally would not risk it by going there if you have a chance to attend a good long-standing school like K state.

Just my two cents. :)

Congrats! I would go with K state (assuming they have very similar costs) since it has a solid reputation for being a great school. Midwestern - being a new school - does not have much of a reputation. K state also has thousands of alumni that provide donations, thus increasing the amount of scholarships available. Most important of all, Midwestern is not an accredited vet school and won't receive full accreditation (if it does at all) until 2018. It does have provisional accreditation right now, though. I personally would not risk it by going there if you have a chance to attend a good long-standing school like K state.

You're not winning any points with current or incoming Midwestern students with the way you phrased this post. It's one thing to give advice... it's another to belittle a school that's going to produce fellow colleagues =/

Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it. You are right, it's looking like the costs are about the same. I'm really lucky that I don't have to worry about cost too much so I'm going to factor out the idea of getting a scholarship from my decision process. Also, I work with someone who is very knowledgable with the accreditation process and he has explained to me that it's extremely unlikely that MU won't be accredited when I graduate from vet scho (so I'm going to factor this out of my decision making process too). I think I want to end up in Arizona or California so I was wondering what people think about whether it's a better idea to go to a well-established school like K State or stay in arizona and make connections with local vets during my 3rd and 4th year which would help with searching for a job? Again I would really appreciate advice. Thank you!

You're not winning any points with current or incoming Midwestern students with the way you phrased this post. It's one thing to give advice... it's another to belittle a school that's going to produce fellow colleagues =/

I'm sorry if that's the way it came across to you because I'm not intending to belittle any school. Someone did ask for opinions on the matter, and I gave them my opinion, using 3 simple non-derogatory facts.

1) The school doesn't have a reputation. I didn't say it had a bad one. It's too new for people to be like "hey that's a great school for x,y,z reasons" right off the bat. K-state, however, is recognized for having a great faculty and great large animal programs, and let's not forget their amazing exotics/zoo professor. Explain how this is me belittling the school.

2) A lot of schools fund their scholarships through donations. A lot of these donations come from alumni. Midwestern has exactly zero alumni right now since the class of 2018 is the first one to graduate. Is stating that K-state might have more opportunities for scholarships really offensive?

3) Midwestern is on probational accreditation because it's new. Is stating that fact also offensive?

I'm sure those graduating from Midwestern will have a great education and be great vets. However, like I said before, K state has decades of being known to be a great school and it beats a brand new school in my eyes just on that alone. If you seriously think that me saying that K state is a better school means that I'm belittling Midwestern . . . well then there's nothing I can do about that.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it. You are right, it's looking like the costs are about the same. I'm really lucky that I don't have to worry about cost too much so I'm going to factor out the idea of getting a scholarship from my decision process. Also, I work with someone who is very knowledgable with the accreditation process and he has explained to me that it's extremely unlikely that MU won't be accredited when I graduate from vet scho (so I'm going to factor this out of my decision making process too). I think I want to end up in Arizona or California so I was wondering what people think about whether it's a better idea to go to a well-established school like K State or stay in arizona and make connections with local vets during my 3rd and 4th year which would help with searching for a job? Again I would really appreciate advice. Thank you!

Well with that in mind, go with what you think is best. Do know that you have opportunities to do externships at K state (not sure about Midwestern) and you can do those with vets in Arizona, California, or anywhere else. One of the vet students from K state did an externship with the exotic animal hospital I used to work at down here in Miami because her fiancé was from here. Again, though, you should pick what you think will be better for you in the long run (including if being close to home will be better for you emotionally). :)

I'm sorry if that's the way it came across to you because I'm not intending to belittle any school. Someone did ask for opinions on the matter, and I gave them my opinion, using 3 simple non-derogatory facts.

1) The school doesn't have a reputation. I didn't say it had a bad one. It's too new for people to be like "hey that's a great school for x,y,z reasons" right off the bat. K-state, however, is recognized for having a great faculty and great large animal programs. Explain how this is me belittling the school.

2) A lot of schools fund their scholarships through donations. A lot of these donations come from alumni. Midwestern has exactly zero alumni right now since the class of 2018 is the first one to graduate. Is stating that K-state might have more opportunities for scholarships really offensive?

3) Midwestern is on probational accreditation because it's new. Is stating that fact also offensive?

I'm sure those graduating from Midwestern will have a great education and be great vets. However, like I said before, K state has decades of being known to be a great school and it beats a brand new school in my eyes just on that alone. If you seriously think that me saying that K state is a better school means that I'm belittling Midwestern . . . well then there's nothing I can do about that.

Your first post could be construed as having a certain tone, and your second post most certainly has one. Case in point, though, how a well-meaning comment can elicit offense.

Your first post could be construed as having a certain tone, and your second post most certainly has one. Case in point, though, how a well-meaning comment can elicit offense.

Oh yeah the second one most definitely was written to have that tone. All my tone-ness is being directed at you, though. None was meant for the Midwestern folks. :)

Oh yeah the second one most definitely was written to have that tone. All my tone-ness is being directed at you, though. None was meant for the Midwestern folks. :)
3f13e74c28bc98054742ea821c474cdc0e5b3bb7108d9b8be986a8cb835e0ec3.jpg

Well with that in mind, go with what you think is best. Do know that you have opportunities to do externships at K state (not sure about Midwestern) and you can do those with vets in Arizona, California, or anywhere else. One of the vet students from K state did an externship with the exotic animal hospital I used to work at down here in Miami because her fiancé was from here. Again, though, you should pick what you think will be better for you in the long run (including if being close to home will be better for you emotionally). :)
Great advice, thank you so much. Really helps put things in perspective for me! (PS- as a potential future Midwestern student I was not offended at all by your first reply. I follow this thread and I used to follow the Michigan state thread closely so Ive read a lot of your posts really respect your opinions).

I don't know much about Midwestern, but I can give you my perspective on Kansas.

In terms of cost, I am pretty sure the two places are similar in tuition, but cost of living should be cheaper in Kansas, so that's one thing to definitely consider. I would less consider scholarships to be completely honest, I think my sister got a couple of grand when she went there, which is honestly just a drop in the bucket, and as far as I know (may be wrong on this, so double check) most of the bigger scholarships are reserved for IS students. Cost of living over 4 years has a much larger impact then a couple of grand scholarship IMHO.

Kansas is one of the few vet schools out there that rewards teachers for good teaching, rather then for research that is put out. This was probably one of the most alluring things to me, given that I personally want to go into academia (the price tag associated was less so). I have met several faculty there while at conferences with my sister, and I have been nothing but impressed with every faculty member I have met. My sister really did well with the teaching style of the professors while there.

If you are looking for connections, my sister definitely made a few important connections while there, but I feel a lot of that is what you make of it. One thing I will say is that she got to do some really cool stuff while there (ie. surgery on a snow leopard, working on a kangaroo from various movies, etc.) in terms of exotics, so if exotics peeks your interests, then that could be a good fit.

I personally love the area of manhattan, but it's not for everyone. My sister hated the town, and how small it was, but it has been growing and my sister was surprised about some new stores and places that are now out there.

It sounds like being close to family is important to you, but I guess I personally would keep in mind how long you will be in classes, as well as your ability to see family. I remember my sister saying afterwards that she didn't feel like she would have seen us anymore then she did during vet school even if she had been at a closer vet school (which was summers and Christmas break). Not saying that's the same for everyone, and me and my sister are both the same way in which we are fine going 15+ hour drives away from family without hesitation. But then again, many people are not okay doing that.

At the end of the day, Midwestern should be accredited by the time you graduate and you should receive a great education at both schools (assuming accreditation, everything met the needed standards). If costs doesn't make a huge difference in your eyes (which I am quite envious about), I would say choose the school that you feel you will be happiest at, given your interests and feel of the two areas.

I don't know much about Midwestern, but I can give you my perspective on Kansas.

In terms of cost, I am pretty sure the two places are similar in tuition, but cost of living should be cheaper in Kansas, so that's one thing to definitely consider. I would less consider scholarships to be completely honest, I think my sister got a couple of grand when she went there, which is honestly just a drop in the bucket, and as far as I know (may be wrong on this, so double check) most of the bigger scholarships are reserved for IS students. Cost of living over 4 years has a much larger impact then a couple of grand scholarship IMHO.

Kansas is one of the few vet schools out there that rewards teachers for good teaching, rather then for research that is put out. This was probably one of the most alluring things to me, given that I personally want to go into academia (the price tag associated was less so). I have met several faculty there while at conferences with my sister, and I have been nothing but impressed with every faculty member I have met. My sister really did well with the teaching style of the professors while there.

If you are looking for connections, my sister definitely made a few important connections while there, but I feel a lot of that is what you make of it. One thing I will say is that she got to do some really cool stuff while there (ie. surgery on a snow leopard, working on a kangaroo from various movies, etc.) in terms of exotics, so if exotics peeks your interests, then that could be a good fit.

I personally love the area of manhattan, but it's not for everyone. My sister hated the town, and how small it was, but it has been growing and my sister was surprised about some new stores and places that are now out there.

It sounds like being close to family is important to you, but I guess I personally would keep in mind how long you will be in classes, as well as your ability to see family. I remember my sister saying afterwards that she didn't feel like she would have seen us anymore then she did during vet school even if she had been at a closer vet school (which was summers and Christmas break). Not saying that's the same for everyone, and me and my sister are both the same way in which we are fine going 15+ hour drives away from family without hesitation. But then again, many people are not okay doing that.

At the end of the day, Midwestern should be accredited by the time you graduate and you should receive a great education at both schools (assuming accreditation, everything met the needed standards). If costs doesn't make a huge difference in your eyes (which I am quite envious about), I would say choose the school that you feel you will be happiest at, given your interests and feel of the two areas.
Thank you so much for your thorough advice, I have a lot to take into consideration. I take comfort in the fact that you like Manhattan so much and that it's growing on your sister.

Honest advice on K-state, because I go here and have been for a year now. People are talking a lot about scholarships, any scholarship that you can actually qualify for (about 2 maybe if you're OOS) will be for maybe 1000 tops and contended by 200 other people. I wouldn't count on it.

That being said it's comparable to Midwestern in cost. If you're parents aren't rich and willing to pay for most of your school costs, expect to leave with a lot of debt. This is the almost criminal condition we have to put up with as veterinary students. If you don't want a ton of debt, move to Texas, obtain residency, and apply to A&M until you get in. It's the only school that isn't raking students over the coals.

We do get HPSL here, idk who said that we don't earlier, but I got it this year and it was about 4 grand.

Manhattan is nice, especially right now. There's not a ton to do and coming from a state where there was a lot to do kinda makes that annoying sometimes.

The school itself is awesome. The teachers have been amazing and even the ones who are boring and monotone are kind and accessible. The only people who fail out of first year are those that don't exhaust their resources to pass, have health issues, or have family issues. You can go to the hospital any time and just hang out, watch, help, etc. without any restriction as long as you aren't annoying to the clinicians or the fourth years. True, they don't spoon feed you opportunities, but they're here if you make yourself available and become social in the hospital. You can do anything you want here; we have some of the best large animal, small animal, and exotics (Dr. Carpenter is one of the best in the world) clinicians around and more exotics opportunities than most schools. Equine is a bit lacking, as KSU is only a referral clinic for equine, but there are plenty of vets in the area.

For me, given KSU's rep, faculty, teachers, alumni network, and opportunity (and accreditation) it's the obvious choice over Midwestern. That being said, I miss my family back in California, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made to ensure a better career IMO.

K-State alumn & cvm class of 2019 here

We do get HPSL here, idk who said that we don't earlier, but I got it this year and it was about 4 grand
That was me. I was going off the government's list of participating schools. However, I'm definitely happy that this is available

There's not a ton to do and coming from a state where there was a lot to do kinda makes that annoying sometimes.
I have to disagree with this. There's a ton to do! Pilsbury, watching prairies burn, top of the world, sitting in the words on the hill, fishing, hunting, tuttle, archery & shooting ranges, cruising dirt roads, etc. However, fun is subjective. I guess it's all about what you want to do. (For reference, I prefer towns of < 5000 and a good 20 minutes away from any major cities)

If being able to get back to see your family easily is important to you, that's definitely a factor. (I.e. plane tickets vs driving 20 hours)
Obviously your interests will affect where you want to go.
Look up the professors at Midwestern, look at their CVs, google them. What have they done recently? How does that coincide with what you want to do?

In my opinion, choosing Midwestern is taking a chance, only because the program is unproven.

However, sometimes you win by rolling the dice. (And in this situation it's not likely you'll really 'lose' at all.)

I'm in!!!! Off the waitlist! Oh my gosh, I can't believe this is really happening, I'm so excited!!! I cried for an hour because I'm so happy.

Reactions: 6 users
If you think Manhattan, Kansas is small with nothing to do, you must have never been to a town with less than 60,000 people. lol. My undergrad was in a town of 3,000 that doubled with the start of school. It was a wopping 3 square miles! But we had a movie theater with four screens (6 dollars for a movie and a dollar for popcorn!) and seven bars (so that you could sail the seven seas)! Coming from Denver, it was kind of a culture shock, but it was alright when you got used to it. Going back to Denver was more of a shock, honestly.

Nothing on the wait list yet? Is the dean back?!? I'm going absolutely nuts! Sorry guys

Hey guys! I haven't posted in this thread but I thought I'd let anyone who was interested know that I got a call last Thursday and was pulled off the wait list. Couldn't be more excited! Good luck to you all :)

Has anyone requested a file review? Also, do we get that from Donna?

I just emailed them about when we can expect financial aid info and apparently it's already available on KSIS.

I was able to login using my undergrad ID

I received the Perkins, Federal Direct Unsub, and Direct Unsub VM

I just emailed them about when we can expect financial aid info and apparently it's already available on KSIS.

I'm OOS so I'm assuming I won't have access to KSIS until I've received an ID and stuff later on?

I'm OOS so I'm assuming I won't have access to KSIS until I've received an ID and stuff later on?

I received a letter in the mail containing my financial award and how to obtain it with my KSIS...I'm OOS. I received the letter on Monday or Tuesday.

Welp KSU has officially announced their class of 2019. Guess I'm not getting off that wait list :( better luck next time