Kansas State Class of 2019!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm. They never asked me about any of that.
Yeah, I'm prepared to have a totally different experience this year. I'm just saying that they told me last year because I thought it was a little strange!..

Members don't see this ad.

So to clarify, you get more questions about stuff by attending the pizza party, or not? I personally am attending, more of just a curiosity.

And fajer - I have one on the 21st as well. If anything interesting comes up, I will post it here :).

At the pizza party, they will discuss a lot about the school, so the interviewers are not going to be asking you basic questions about the school and its programs the next day. If your interview happens to be before the pizza party, they may ask you general questions about the school to see if you've done your homework and have actually looked into kstate. But the point is that they probably won't ask you about anything that is discussed at the pizza party if your interview is afterwards (tracking, special programs, clubs, classes, etc...) and yes, regardless of your interview day, be prepared to discuss (possibly at length) any of the experiences you listed on your application

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just gonna throw this out there: my interview was before the pizza party and they didn't ask me any questions about the school. I wouldn't take the pizza party all that seriously, just go and have fun.

I still haven't heard anything at all from them....so I'm guessing I'm out of luck. They emailed me to say they got all of my application materials, but that's been quite a while ago.

Anybody else not heard anything yet?
I don't know how long to wait before giving up hope or calling them....

I still haven't heard anything at all from them....so I'm guessing I'm out of luck. They emailed me to say they got all of my application materials, but that's been quite a while ago.

I have not heard anything either. At this point I would say that we are in the rejection group. I am sorry! Best of luck with the rest of the schools!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Last edited:
KEEPING THE HOPE ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

Same here. Also giving up hope at this point :(

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst is how we roll in my family. So I still have hope until I get an e-mail saying differently. lol.

Reactions: 1 users
:(...I'm losing my optimism. Care to share?:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I called last week and was told that all 350 interview invites have already been sent out however, the committee isn't sure how these will turn out so they are waiting to see what happens in those interviews to decide on whether or not they will send out more invites. So basically everyone who hasn't gotten an interview by now is on a wait list to get one. If their current interviews go well then rejection emails will be sent out :( they will email the rest of the applicants January for rejections or if we are lucky some will get last minute interviews.

I called last week and was told that all 350 interview invites have already been sent out however, the committee isn't sure how these will turn out so they are waiting to see what happens in those interviews to decide on whether or not they will send out more invites. So basically everyone who hasn't gotten an interview by now is on a wait list to get one. If their current interviews go well then rejection emails will be sent out :( they will email the rest of the applicants January for rejections or if we are lucky some will get last minute interviews.

I'd rather be lucky than skilled. ;). It actually really works when I play Halo or Destiny. :whistle:. There is a silver lining to everything for us. And I am totally okay with them going through interviews this weekend to determine if they need to send more out. Just means I need to compulsively watch my e-mail all next week.

Secondly, 350 interviews is more than there were last year meaning one of two things to me: either there are a lot of good people that they could not easily shift through (bad news to the rest of us); or that there was a laaaarrrrggggeee variety of students that they wanted to check out because they weren't really sure what they were getting (potentially good for the rest of us).

I'd rather be lucky than skilled. ;). It actually really works when I play Halo or Destiny. :whistle:. There is a silver lining to everything for us. And I am totally okay with them going through interviews this weekend to determine if they need to send more out. Just means I need to compulsively watch my e-mail all next week.

Secondly, 350 interviews is more than there were last year meaning one of two things to me: either there are a lot of good people that they could not easily shift through (bad news to the rest of us); or that there was a laaaarrrrggggeee variety of students that they wanted to check out because they weren't really sure what they were getting (potentially good for the rest of us).
I hope it the second option lol I got soooo bummed out when they told me this bc my research pointed out that Kansas liked OOS applicants and I really thought I would get an interview from them but we'll see. For now I'll prepare for my one interview and cross my fingers and pray to God I do well!

I hope it the second option lol I got soooo bummed out when they told me this bc my research pointed out that Kansas liked OOS applicants and I really thought I would get an interview from them but we'll see. For now I'll prepare for my one interview and cross my fingers and pray to God I do well!

I agree that K-State gives a lot more preference to OOSers just based on how many they let in. I was hoping that I would get an interview this year cause I got one last year and actually did pretty well. On paper, I am a very average applicant, but I interview and interact with people well. I feel like with how my hours and experience have improved, I could get an acceptance or be high on the waitlist. But I need the interview first. lol.

I agree that K-State gives a lot more preference to OOSers just based on how many they let in. I was hoping that I would get an interview this year cause I got one last year and actually did pretty well. On paper, I am a very average applicant, but I interview and interact with people well. I feel like with how my hours and experience have improved, I could get an acceptance or be high on the waitlist. But I need the interview first. lol.
As it turns out for more average (I am in there with you) applicants, it highly depends on the applicant pool each year, and most likely they have a more competitive applicant pool this year which is unfortunate. I had this same thing happen to me last cycle I applied where I was outright rejected and the cycle before I was interviewed and wait listed.

Secondly, 350 interviews is more than there were last year

How many were there last year? I'm curious because I got an interview last year as well as this year, and I want to know if my chances are about equal or what...

How many were there last year? I'm curious because I got an interview last year as well as this year, and I want to know if my chances are about equal or what...

They interviewed 800 OOS. They let us know at the pizza party I went to.

You sure about that? For 2017 they interviewed 434 total, 331 of which were OOS. Not only would that be a huge amount of interviews (close to 1000 including IS people as well), that would mean they decided to more than double their number of interviews for one year. It's certainly possible and I don't mean to call you out, just seems very odd to me.

Wow.... Totally meant 300 interviews last year. I HATE THAT PHONE PADS AND 10 KEYS HAVE OPPOSITE NUMBERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! End frustration moment.

of the say 350 interviewers, how many spots are those going for? do they give out any acceptances without interviews?

of the say 350 interviewers, how many spots are those going for? do they give out any acceptances without interviews?
There are about 110 in our class, and no, you must complete an interview in order to be offered a spot... They don't accept people without an interview, but some other schools do.
However, many of our classmates were called off of their wait list, and were not offered a spot in the class immediately following their interview. It is fairly common for kansas to go through a decent chunk of that list before filling those spots, so if you get on the list, don't give up hope!

Got in touch with Dr. Elmore, (based on my personal stats), he said I was not likely to get an interview this year. Just FYI for those still waiting! So good luck everyone else!

So just clarifying because I'm annoying like that...
350 total interviews this year? Or 350 OOS interviews?
Because if they interviewed 300 OOS last year, it seems like ~400 got interviews last year...
Sounds to me like they are downsizing the amount of people who are interviewing, because two years ago 434 people got interviews....contrary to what someone else said before.

Because if they interviewed 300 OOS last year, it seems like ~400 got interviews last year...
Sounds to me like they are downsizing the amount of people who are interviewing, because two years ago 434 people got interviews....contrary to what someone else said before.
434 total, about 330 of those were OOS. They interview relatively similar numbers of people each year. It depends on who applies and how many people they like in the first few rounds of interviews, but I don't think that number varies too much

434 total, about 330 of those were OOS. They interview relatively similar numbers of people each year. It depends on who applies and how many people they like in the first few rounds of interviews, but I don't think that number varies too much

Sounds like this year they only gave out 350 interview invites, according to someone who emailed the admissions team up top.

I called last week and was told that all 350 interview invites have already been sent out .

I'm just being a stickler for those kind of things because 1) I love stats and 2) I'm interviewing so I want to know what my chance is and 3) for those who didn't get an interview, it sounds like the chances of getting one were a lot less this year

Got in touch with Dr. Elmore, (based on my personal stats), he said I was not likely to get an interview this year. Just FYI for those still waiting! So good luck everyone else!

Sorry to hear that GretaBug :(

Sounds like this year they only gave out 350 interview invites, according to someone who emailed the admissions team up top.

I'm just being a stickler for those kind of things because 1) I love stats and 2) I'm interviewing so I want to know what my chance is and 3) for those who didn't get an interview, it sounds like the chances of getting one were a lot less this year
http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admissions/class-statistics.html
here is the link to the stats on our class, in case you haven't seen this page... it seems like they only post one year on their website, but at least it gives you a rough estimate
:shrug:

I'm sorry :( I feel like the rest of us are on that same boat with you..

There are about 110 in our class, and no, you must complete an interview in order to be offered a spot... They don't accept people without an interview, but some other schools do.
However, many of our classmates were called off of their wait list, and were not offered a spot in the class immediately following their interview. It is fairly common for kansas to go through a decent chunk of that list before filling those spots, so if you get on the list, don't give up hope!

I got waitlisted last year and didn't give up hope until the first day of classes. lol. Oh well. Just got to roll with it. :).

They interviewed 300 OOS people last year. I think that upping the number to 350 OOS interviews is a significant change, so that's why I said that they are interviewing a lot more people this year.

So I think I may have accidentally deleted my email with the time of the pizza party for tomorrow night... If anyone could tell me the time for it tomorrow night, I would greatly appreciate it (as well as the location) :)

So I think I may have accidentally deleted my email with the time of the pizza party for tomorrow night... If anyone could tell me the time for it tomorrow night, I would greatly appreciate it (as well as the location) :)
"You are invited to attend a pizza party on Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 6:30 P.M. in Frick Auditorium, Mosier Hall."
There you go!

Pizza party was informative, a short presentation about the school and then question and answer session with ambassadors.

Interview was super relaxed and conversational. Literally just started with the stereotypical beginning to Kansas interviews. And then we literally just talked about myself and my experiences for awhile. There was only 1 question I can think of that were not about myself and my experience. All in all, just be yourself, don't stress, and it shall go perfectly fine :)

Pizza party was informative, a short presentation about the school and then question and answer session with ambassadors.

Interview was super relaxed and conversational. Literally just started with the stereotypical beginning to Kansas interviews. And then we literally just talked about myself and my experiences for awhile. There was only 1 question I can think of that were not about myself and my experience. All in all, just be yourself, don't stress, and it shall go perfectly fine :)

Pardon if I sound silly, but when you went in for the interview did you shake all of the reviewers hands or did you just sit down?

ok so i just got done with my interview. im an international student who is at kstate for undergrad and i didnt go to the pizza party last night. i asked and apparently they got done with all the in state student interviews yesterday and there are two more interview weekends (one in january and one in februar. they're running late this year). oh and the tour lasts an hour so plan accordingly.
the interview was really relaxed and while most students wore suits there were a few that were more casual and wore dresses with blazers.
the three interviewers included two faculty members and one kstate graduate that owns a clinic north of town.they begin by giving you a short introduction about themselves and then they ask you to tell them a bit about yourself.
the questions were very basic:
why kstate (i said kstate is a non tracking school and has computers in conjuncture with the curriculum)?
is kstate the only school you applied to (yes)?
how will you pay tuition and are you concerned about the debt it will create (i said its not a problem i have a scholarship)?
what would you do if you didnt get accepted(reapply next year)?
what would you do if you saw someone cheating (report them they dont deserve to be there)?
how many volunteer hours have you done since the application(i did 70ish)?
what the starting salary for a new graduate in the U.S ($60,000 btw)?
and then the rest of the questions were about my own animal experiences (general animal experiences and veterinary experience)and veterinary possibilities in my own country
my interview lasted about 35-40 minutes and honestly i left feeling really good so i hope it works out!
good luck everyone!!! try not to worry too much about it. just make sure you know everything from you essay and can elaborate on it.

Last edited:
sorry i keep remembering things lol but anyways they also asked how i plan on handling a large course load in veterinary school if i were accepted and they asked me how my classes went this semester since the grades hadnt come out yet

Do you mind me asking your stats?

So are they done sending out interviews?

So are they done sending out interviews?

Unless they feel like the current pull of interviewees is not what they're looking for, then yes they are done sending out interviews.

Just got done with my second interview at k state. Definitely know the questions they asked in past years, on SDN interview feedback. Nothing was unexpected, they just want to know you as an individual. Don't take any controversial side and don't assume you are going to get scholarships, they want to know how you are going to handle LOAN debt, cause every student will have one (unless you are the lucky few that gets a full ride military scholarship).
And know the difference between a heifer and a hereford :) I did and they said that almost no one can answer that question. That's like Animal Science 1 material in my undergrad, so I was surprised by that.