Kansas State Class of 2019!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And know the difference between a heifer and a hereford :) I did and they said that almost no one can answer that question. That's like Animal Science 1 material in my undergrad, so I was surprised by that.

That stupid question... they asked me that last year and I asked if they were serious.... it's the same as asking the difference between a bitch and a beagle amiright?

Members don't see this ad.

That stupid question... they asked me that last year and I asked if they were serious.... it's the same as asking the difference between a bitch and a beagle amiright?

Exactly. It was by far the easiest question I got asked...I'm better with the knowledge based questions rather than "Tell me why you are better than every other applicant we have ever seen before ever."
I don't like talking about myself. lol

I guess different people have different experiences with it. Only question I got that was not based off my experience was "how would you approach getting the owner of cattle to approve treatment for their animal (as opposed to small animals, since I have very little experience with food animal medicine)

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. It was by far the easiest question I got asked...I'm better with the knowledge based questions rather than "Tell me why you are better than every other applicant we have ever seen before ever."
I don't like talking about myself. lol

I'm not entirely sure what they're looking for, but I'd like to think that some of those random questions are more about how you respond (especially if you don't know) rather than being right or wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not entirely sure what they're looking for, but I'd like to think that some of those random questions are more about how you respond (especially if you don't know) rather than being right or wrong.

Oh yeah definitely. The panel's reaction when I answered the question was very enthusiastic though, so I think they appreciated a right answer rather than "I don't know, but here's my best guess."
I took it as more of a "oh, that's nice, you actually did your homework and remember information from a your first animal science class." But that's just me.

Oh yeah definitely. The panel's reaction when I answered the question was very enthusiastic though, so I think they appreciated a right answer rather than "I don't know, but here's my best guess."
I took it as more of a "oh, that's nice, you actually did your homework and remember information from a your first animal science class." But that's just me.

Agreed. I didn't say it wasn't good to know, I just meant that even if you don't as long as you keep your cool and give a reasonable reply they're probably not going to be like, what an idiot let's just shred their application.

I wish they had asked me the difference between a heifer and a Hereford. All my questions were about being a non-traditional student and if I could keep up. They also asked me "why DVM, why k-state?" first thing. The vet school building is definitely not the nicest, there are hardly any windows. I guess it went okay...

I didn't have any question I was not able to answer. Thank you SDN! Although now I am over analyzing my interview as usual. My only fear is that maybe I came off too casual because I was really relaxed and enthusiastic. My questions were very typical interview questions.

And know the difference between a heifer and a hereford :) I did and they said that almost no one can answer that question.

LOL!! My hubs and I have been laughing about this since last night! I wonder if K-State will accept me based on the fact that I can say Hereford heifer 5x fast? :laugh:

I didn't have any question I was not able to answer. Thank you SDN! Although now I am over analyzing my interview as usual. My only fear is that maybe I came off too casual because I was really relaxed and enthusiastic. My questions were very typical interview questions.

At least I'm not the only one who overanalyzes my answers....I definitely said "pigs are cool." in my interview...at least they laughed?!

And just for those who are obsessed with statistics like I am...This is what Dr. Elmore said about applicants invited to interview this year.

1000+ applications, 300 interviews total, and 112 accepted positions.

So they are definitely interviewing less.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish they had asked me the difference between a heifer and a Hereford. All my questions were about being a non-traditional student and if I could keep up. They also asked me "why DVM, why k-state?" first thing. The vet school building is definitely not the nicest, there are hardly any windows. I guess it went okay...

Yeah the building is dismal, it's like a prison. We had multiple back and forth arguments about heating this year too. For about a month it was about 50 degrees inside and on top of that it has no windows. Plus, the only part of Trotter with windows, the library, was closed literally the entire semester. They say it'll be open next semester but I'm not holding my breath at this point. The professors, the town, and my classmates make it all tolerable, if that wasn't there last semester would've been very draining.

And just for those who are obsessed with statistics like I am...This is what Dr. Elmore said about applicants invited to interview this year.

1000+ applications, 300 interviews total, and 112 accepted positions.

So they are definitely interviewing less.

Finally totally know for sure. lol. They did 300 OOS interviews that year, so yes, a ton less interviews. Thanks for the info.

Not going to lie, I wouldn't be able to answer the cow question. Did great in animal science and got an A on the cattle test. I just don't really care about cows. lol. Sheep were more interesting and my life has been entirely about dogs. lol.

Finally totally know for sure. lol. They did 300 OOS interviews that year, so yes, a ton less interviews. Thanks for the info.

Not going to lie, I wouldn't be able to answer the cow question. Did great in animal science and got an A on the cattle test. I just don't really care about cows. lol. Sheep were more interesting and my life has been entirely about dogs. lol.
I didn't get asked any questions about large animal because I don't have any experience with large animal. I guess I lucked out.

I didn't get asked any questions about large animal because I don't have any experience with large animal. I guess I lucked out.

I didn't get asked any large animal questions last year, either. All my questions were the basic, "Why vet med? Why K-state?", my personal experiences, and the difference between animal rights and animals welfare (which actually was my favorite question).

I didn't get asked any large animal questions last year, either. All my questions were the basic, "Why vet med? Why K-state?", my personal experiences, and the difference between animal rights and animals welfare (which actually was my favorite question).
I didn't even get asked that question. I got asked about where I get my news from and the current crisis in Liberia, which unless you are living under a rock you would know is ebola. Overall, a very relaxed experience.

Yeah the building is dismal, it's like a prison.
My wife was cracking up! She couldn't believe it, and even took a pic of the building. " I don't think I've ever seen a building like that!"
Edited to say: Of course I still want to get in!

Yeah the building is dismal, it's like a prison. We had multiple back and forth arguments about heating this year too. For about a month it was about 50 degrees inside and on top of that it has no windows. Plus, the only part of Trotter with windows, the library, was closed literally the entire semester. They say it'll be open next semester but I'm not holding my breath at this point. The professors, the town, and my classmates make it all tolerable, if that wasn't there last semester would've been very draining.

The first year floor is always freezing. It's been much better this year down the stairs :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an interview invite, for those who are still waiting.

In-state, January 18th

Just to clarify...its 300 total interviews. including IS and OOS.

Just got done with my second interview at k state. Definitely know the questions they asked in past years, on SDN interview feedback. Nothing was unexpected, they just want to know you as an individual. Don't take any controversial side and don't assume you are going to get scholarships, they want to know how you are going to handle LOAN debt, cause every student will have one (unless you are the lucky few that gets a full ride military scholarship).
And know the difference between a heifer and a hereford :) I did and they said that almost no one can answer that question. That's like Animal Science 1 material in my undergrad, so I was surprised by that.
Depends on where you went to school, I did my undergrad at a New England school where all we have is dairy. And though I didn't know the answer, I did get accepted. I know what a Hereford is now! Haha :)

We should have a signal or something so we know who all the SDNers are... Or maybe I'll just carry my boomerang =P

We should have a signal or something so we know who all the SDNers are... Or maybe I'll just carry my boomerang =P
If it's anything like my other interviews, just look for the one guy. That'll be me. :p

Kansas state values diversity and there was a fair number of guys at my interview (not quite even, but approaching it)

At my MSU interview, they mentioned I was the first guy they interviewed that day and my interview was at 4pm . . .

There were a lot of guy in my group though.

Kansas state values diversity and there was a fair number of guys at my interview (not quite even, but approaching it)

I asked Dr. Elmore and he said it was 25 men to 95 women...pretty good considering the normal ratio...

I asked Dr. Elmore and he said it was 25 men to 95 women...pretty good considering the normal ratio...
Hmm interesting. I feel like the pizza part was at a 2:3 ratio, but meh. And then I had 2 guys interviewing right around my time besides myself, to 5 girls

Hmm interesting. I feel like the pizza part was at a 2:3 ratio, but meh. And then I had 2 guys interviewing right around my time besides myself, to 5 girls

Maybe I'm just biased but I feel like wherever I go I'm going to be surrounded by women. I thought I saw like one guy at the pizza party. But then again I was in the front and I interviewed with all women. lol. What gives, bring on the men !!

I thought the normal ratio was about 20% men as far as applicants go (for vet schools as a whole), sounds like those numbers are pretty in line with that.

Maybe I'm just biased but I feel like wherever I go I'm going to be surrounded by women. I thought I saw like one guy at the pizza party. But then again I was in the front and I interviewed with all women. lol. What gives, bring on the men !!
Haha pretty much, you will be surrounded by women. Our class of 112 had 18 or 19 guys. Safe to say Vet school is not likely the place you will meet a guy :p

I am new to this site, and wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you to all of you who have so graciously shared your stories about KSU. Like several of you, I am also interviewing on January 17th and so excited!! I can barely contain myself, I wish it were tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone and I hope to have the opportunity to meet some of you who will be there at the pizza party!

I am new to this site, and wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you to all of you who have so graciously shared your stories about KSU. Like several of you, I am also interviewing on January 17th and so excited!! I can barely contain myself, I wish it were tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone and I hope to have the opportunity to meet some of you who will be there at the pizza party!
I didn't end up applying to KSU, but I see you're from Florida, which is also where I'm from :) did you apply to UF too?

Probably sounds odd but no...not this cycle....I was really on the cusp of applying to any school at all this cycle because I still had several prereqs to complete in this 2014-15 academic year. After speaking with UF admissions, they encouraged me to wait and apply next year to get more hours at the hospital under my belt and finish up the prereqs. However, my experience with KSU admissions was quite the antithesis, and they encouraged me to apply for this cycle rather than wait. I'm a non-traditional student (older, prior career) and what I have found is each school looks at that aspect differently so after the response from KSU, I just went for it. Did you apply to UF?

Probably sounds odd but no...not this cycle....I was really on the cusp of applying to any school at all this cycle because I still had several prereqs to complete in this 2014-15 academic year. After speaking with UF admissions, they encouraged me to wait and apply next year to get more hours at the hospital under my belt and finish up the prereqs. However, my experience with KSU admissions was quite the antithesis, and they encouraged me to apply for this cycle rather than wait. I'm a non-traditional student (older, prior career) and what I have found is each school looks at that aspect differently so after the response from KSU, I just went for it. Did you apply to UF?
That makes sense, good luck with KSU :) Every school is different in what they look for, so it was definitely smart of you to talk to admissions, not enough people do that before they apply. Yes, since it's my IS and has good opportunities for zoo medicine, UF is my top choice.

Best of luck to you WildZoo! Go Gators :)

I got a letter in the mail today....I'm ACCEPTED!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
It seems sort of early for a response. After all, they still have interviews to do... Hopefully not a troll
No, we were told that letters will start going out the first week of January at the pizza party, so I think it's legit