Kaplan 3rd ed vs EK 10th ed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both are the newest editions with Kaplan set to release tomorrow on Amazon. Kaplan is considerably cheaper than EK ($150 vs $260), so I've preordered Kaplan on Amazon.

But I'm having second thoughts from reading other threads comparing the two books. People seem to like the EK books a lot more because of their concise nature.

Is EK (10th ed) worth the extra cash? $110 might seem negligible to some people but it's a good chunk of money to me...

Any opinions on either book? I've completed all my prereqs but it's been a while since I've taken chem and bio...

Members don't see this ad.

I read through all of Kaplan 1st and am now working my way through EK 9th - idk how different the updated editions would be. Kaplan seems good at getting definitions short and sweet although there are a few topics that are a little iffy. I don't know if I would say EK is more concise, but they do explain things in more common terms than Kaplan. Kaplan reads more like a textbook and EK reads more like a guide. EK has better practice questions (you get 24 in lecture questions and 3 passage 30 min exams for each lecture).
I'd start with Kaplan and AAMC question banks. I'd only get EK if you feel you need extra practice - although I think EK is pretty great so far!