Kaplan AND USMLEworld for step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ideas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting BOTH USMLE WORLD and Kaplan q bank. . . using one for the rest of the school year and then saving the other for the month I study for step 2. . . . Does this sound crazy? I only had a 206 on step 1, have done reseonably well on my 1st two shelf exams OB and IM, but I really want to at least get greater than 220 on step 2 if not higher.

Here is what has been said so far:
-Go back through First aid step 1 during the year and crush the boards
-First aid Step 2 and questions for the month that I'll study. . . .

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

This would be a costly project, as you'd need to renew your subscription to either USMLEworld or QBank for the remainder of your M3 year. I believe three months of UW are $175 with three months of QBank at $249. If you chose UW, that would be $525 for the next 9 months, plus $149 for a month of QBank. It seems a bit unnecessary, with regards to cost. Maybe you could wait until January and buy 6 months of UW, for $350.
However, you may have the resources to absorb this cost. In that case, this is not necessarily a bad or (as you asked) 'crazy' idea.
The best advice is to keep doing what you're doing, in terms of studying hard and scoring well on the M3 shelf exams. That's where your foundation of knowledge for Step 2 CK comes so, if your base is strong, you'll have a much better chot at doing well on Step 2 than if you blow off the shelves.
One idea could be to read the section in First Aid for Step 2 CK that covers your current M3 Clerkship. This would be in addition to reading FA/Blueprints/PreTest, etc for that specific Clerkship. That way, you can have most of FA for Step 2 down before you even start prepping for your test.
Besides FA, two other books I recommend are Deja Review for Step 2 and FA Cases for USMLE Step 2 CK (By Tao Le), which should be out next month.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0071448764/ref=s9_asin_title/104-7578842-4543944

http://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-Cas...ef=sr_1_2/104-7578842-4543944?ie=UTF8&s=books

This would be a costly project, as you'd need to renew your subscription to either USMLEworld or QBank for the remainder of your M3 year. I believe three months of UW are $175 with three months of QBank at $249. If you chose UW, that would be $525 for the next 9 months, plus $149 for a month of QBank. It seems a bit unnecessary, with regards to cost. Maybe you could wait until January and buy 6 months of UW, for $350.
However, you may have the resources to absorb this cost. In that case, this is not necessarily a bad or (as you asked) 'crazy' idea.
The best advice is to keep doing what you're doing, in terms of studying hard and scoring well on the M3 shelf exams. That's where your foundation of knowledge for Step 2 CK comes so, if your base is strong, you'll have a much better chot at doing well on Step 2 than if you blow off the shelves.
One idea could be to read the section in First Aid for Step 2 CK that covers your current M3 Clerkship. This would be in addition to reading FA/Blueprints/PreTest, etc for that specific Clerkship. That way, you can have most of FA for Step 2 down before you even start prepping for your test.
Besides FA, two other books I recommend are Deja Review for Step 2 and FA Cases for USMLE Step 2 CK (By Tao Le), which should be out next month.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0071448764/ref=s9_asin_title/104-7578842-4543944

http://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-Cas...ef=sr_1_2/104-7578842-4543944?ie=UTF8&s=books

Thanks, both USMLE world and Kaplan have deals for 9 months I thnk both are around 399 each for 9 months. . . I'm still debating. I would end up only spending 9 months for one and then getting the three or 1 month deal for the other. . .

I guess you could choose whichever option is least expensive.
UW is $90 for 1 month, whereas QBank is $149 for 1 month.
After 9 months of one of the quetion pools, you should not need more than 1 month of the other. Just arrange your studying so that you won't need access to a new pool of questions for more than 1 month and you'll be fine.
Most people say UW is the better of the two pools, though there are plenty of people who have scored 220+ using QBank!