Kaplan Diagnostic MCAT: 17..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HK35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my Kaplan Diagnostic test and got a 17 :( 7B 6P 4V.
I kinda rushed it because i had 10+ minutes after every section but still. Anyone ever get a 15 point improvement after their diagnostic?

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure diagnostics are useless considering you've probably forgotten a lot of the material. I just started studying and I couldn't even remember the simplest concepts because I had taken the classes 3 years ago. Came back really quickly though.

I kinda rushed it because i had 10+ minutes after every section but still. Anyone ever get a 15 point improvement after their diagnostic?

The diagnostics are purposely hard. These companies offer their money back guarantees by saying that if you score lower than your diagnostic on the actual thing, they'll give you your money back. Don't you think it's pretty hard to score lower than a 17 :)

Don't feel discouraged...

Thanks for your feedback guys! and amateur obgyn your absolutely right ha! i never thought about that..

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an 8 point improvement from my diagnostic to my actual MCAT, and I only had about nine weeks between. I think if you have enough time and study a lot you'll do great! I have a friend who went from a 19 to 32 with Kaplan too!

I improved from a 21 on my Kaplan diagnostic to a 35 on the real exam. I was scoring an average of 38 on my official AAMC practice exams. Bottom line: The diagnostic means nothing, except that you aren't ready to take the test. But.. you knew that already.

By the way, in my opinion, the Kaplan diagnostic is awful. It is *nothing* like the real exam! Just for fun, I took the Kaplan exam a few days after I took the real exam. Oddly enough, I still had no idea what the hell was going on :p

I improved from a 21 on my Kaplan diagnostic to a 35 on the real exam. I was scoring an average of 38 on my official AAMC practice exams. Bottom line: The diagnostic means nothing, except that you aren't ready to take the test. But.. you knew that already.

By the way, in my opinion, the Kaplan diagnostic is awful. It is *nothing* like the real exam! Just for fun, I took the Kaplan exam a few days after I took the real exam. Oddly enough, I still had no idea what the hell was going on :p

Thanks for all your guys feedback! Evergrey did you take the course too? I take the MCAT on april 29th do i have enough time to study to bring it up?

I just took the diagnostic test today. I got a 20.. P6, V7, B7.

Personally, I think the Kaplan diagnostic is a load of BS! I got about 72% of the verbal questions correct and I still got a 7 :confused:

I've heard a lot of stories of people who scored in the teens on their diagnostic and managed to get a 30+ on the real MCAT. So don't worry about it. Do as many AAMC tests as you can and complement that with the kaplan full lengths.

By the way I'm also taking the MCAT on April 29th:xf:

Thanks for all your guys feedback! Evergrey did you take the course too? I take the MCAT on april 29th do i have enough time to study to bring it up?

I guess it depends on if you are in school or working full-time or not. If you are doing either of those part-time, then I would say you have plenty of time to realize your potential. I studied over the period of 8-10 weeks, perhaps 30 hours a week, during the summer after my senior year. It was probably a bit overkill. I personally did not take a prep course, I studied on my own with EK/BR books. If you are highly self-motivated, that is a great way to do it. If you are not, then definitely fork over the $$ for a class, in my opinion. It will keep you on track.

Biggest thing to do, which is probably worth as much as all of your other studying combined, is take ALL of the official practice exams under simulated conditions, and rigorously review concepts/tactics to improve from each exam. Generally speaking do lots of practice problems and practice exams... That is also the best way to study for the medical licensure exams as well, or so physicians/residents/med students tell me :)

Good luck guys!

I have 16 credits of school as well but I feel like the class keeps me on track with my reading and stuff because instead of coming home from school and just taking a nap or something im forced to do my MCAT hwk. Thanks evergrey for your feedback :) and ripcity.. LETS DO THIS!

I have 16 credits of school as well but I feel like the class keeps me on track with my reading and stuff because instead of coming home from school and just taking a nap or something im forced to do my MCAT hwk. Thanks evergrey for your feedback :) and ripcity.. LETS DO THIS!

Same here. I'm basically going to have no life for the next 3 months. Can't wait for April 30th :D

Are you taking the kaplan course?

yeah im taking it, i was actually just finishing up my physics review notes as we speak, when did you start yours?

Well I've been studying on my own since the first week of January. I start the actual course this Monday. How do you like the course so far? I'm hoping for at least 12-13 point increase from my diagnostic.

I just started it on sunday but have been studying since january as well. It feels like it will be a pretty thorough course. Me too atleast 15 points. Alot of it is remembering what you already have learned

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in good company. I got a 17 too. I haven't seen some of this stuff for 8 years though. It is all upward from here (I hope).

I got 42 on the diagnostic and 40 on the real thing. I am entitled to take the class again, technically.

Why did you choose to take the course if you were scoring in the 40s? :confused:

Also, to OP: the diagnostic test is meant to be super difficult so Kaplan won't have liability issues. Keep in mind the lower your initial score is, the more you can improve. ;)

Why did you choose to take the course if you were scoring in the 40s? :confused:

Also, to OP: the diagnostic test is meant to be super difficult so Kaplan won't have liability issues. Keep in mind the lower your initial score is, the more you can improve. ;)

Maybe he had 1800 dollars laying around he wasn using..:).

But that does sound like kaplan thanks for the confidence boost!:xf:

so far i like the kaplan course its really making me crack down on each subject

I got a 21 on the Kaplan diagnostic, and a 33 on the real MCAT.

Keep up with the material and take as many full length exams as you can.

Good luck!:luck:

thanks everyone for your responses! i love hearing these and kaplans conspiracy!

I recieved a 17 on the diagnostic. Did not take the class studied on my own (about 70 total hours. my score was raised to a 31

I did use the kaplan book. I should note that it had been over 6 years since i had taken any of those classes other than physics and a few years since i had taken a test at all so.

Does anybody know if the practice tests that Kaplan offers for free on school campuses once or twice a year are a typical Kaplan FL or their diagnostic? I figure it would be their diagnostic since they're trying to convince you that you need to course by scoring you low...but anybody know for sure?

Maybe he had 1800 dollars laying around he wasn using..:).

But that does sound like kaplan thanks for the confidence boost!:xf:

so far i like the kaplan course its really making me crack down on each subject

D'oh. I actually took the course and paid $1900 for it, should I feel regretful now? D:

Does anybody know if the practice tests that Kaplan offers for free on school campuses once or twice a year are a typical Kaplan FL or their diagnostic? I figure it would be their diagnostic since they're trying to convince you that you need to course by scoring you low...but anybody know for sure?

It is a full length because its a full test the diagnostic is a bit shorter than the MCAT

Thanx OP for this thread, I was sooooooo down today because I got my diagnostic scores back from Kaplan, a 15, and I of course was devastated, now at least I know that theres hope

D'oh. I actually took the course and paid $1900 for it, should I feel regretful now? D:

I paid $1700 for mine ... I am regretting that much ... I am starting the SN2 3 month study guide ... It looks to be much more passage based.

So everyone has experience with low Kaplan scores.

Did anyone do well on a Kaplan diagnostic? And how did it compare to AAMC or actual MCAT performance????

Phew! I'm so glad I looked at this post... I was in tears last night after taking my Kaplan Diagnostic.... There is hope for me!!! :)
But I do regret taking 3 years off from school... I'm paying dearly for it now!

whats up, I got a 16 on the kaplan diagnostic (without orgo II) or any studying.
I am taking a prep course (still debating on kaplan or PR) over the summer,
and I hope to get a +30 on the MCAT (taking it in Aug.)

Good luck to all of you taking the MCAT soon

It's been a while for me but I think my diagnostic was low 20s (scored low on B and P and high--like 12 or something on V). I got anywhere between high 20s and mid 30s for practice tests (after studying) and got 33 on the real thing. The B and P sections can improve markedly with dedicated studying.

I'm in a Kaplan course right now (doing the online class). So far I'm loving it. Our teacher is beyond amazing. I love the structure of the class because it really pushes you to study ALOT or else you will get behind in the lessons. I made a 22 on the diagnostic (7/8/7)(which unfortunately is the same exact breakdown of my actual MCAT score from last summer). We are scheduled to take our first full length practice test on Saturday so I'm really excited to see how far I've come in the past 2 months.

The diagnostics are purposely hard. These companies offer their money back guarantees by saying that if you score lower than your diagnostic on the actual thing, they'll give you your money back. Don't you think it's pretty hard to score lower than a 17 :)

Don't feel discouraged...
That may not be true. I took the Kaplan Diagnostic for free, (just to see if I know my stuff) after I took the MCAT and got the same score.