Kaplan full length score vs. nextstep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBaby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to have improved significantly from a 489 on first kaplan full length to a 500 on next step diagnostic exam. Could this possibly be right? I studied for about 3 weeks before taking the next step diagnostic but it seems like such a leap I'm not sure if I can trust it.

Members don't see this ad.

An improvement is an improvement, though you would need to consistently score that range to ensure it's not a fluke. I would continue what you are doing and hopefully your performance carries into the actual test.

does anyone have an opinion on kaplan and nextsteps diagnostic? I am aiming to take one of them in the next few days

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you might need to be enrolled in Kaplan to take their full length. :/ Not sure tho.

I scored much higher on Next Step's diagnostic and part of me wonders if Kaplan's diagnostic was intentionally more difficult than it needed to be? Not sure

I think you might need to be enrolled in Kaplan to take their full length. :/ Not sure tho.

I scored much higher on Next Step's diagnostic and part of me wonders if Kaplan's diagnostic was intentionally more difficult than it needed to be? Not sure

pretty sure this was true of their old MCAT diagnostic so I wouldn't be surprised if it still is lol

does anyone have an opinion on kaplan and nextsteps diagnostic? I am aiming to take one of them in the next few days

I would take both if you can, of course not at the same time but maybe a week apart before you start studying or early on in your studying. No one is sure which test is more like the new MCAT, it's all theoretical. For Kaplan, I believe you can take their diagnostic (half-full length) without taking the class. It's offered through their "free event" search engine on their website. For NS (which is also a half-full length), you have to sign up by emailing [email protected].

EDIT: So apparently Kaplan is a FL. NS is a 1/2 length

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I seem to have improved significantly from a 489 on first kaplan full length to a 500 on next step diagnostic exam. Could this possibly be right? I studied for about 3 weeks before taking the next step diagnostic but it seems like such a leap I'm not sure if I can trust it.

I scored a 499 on Kaplan and then (after 2 weeks of not much studying) a 503 on the NS diagnostic. Not as much of a jump as you, but still dubious considering that I really didn't do much studying in those 2 weeks.

Of course, the score differences could be attributed to endurance issues, as the Kaplan was FL and the NS diagnostic was 1/2 length.

You get 3 FLs if you purchase their 7-book set.

Okay yep that makes sense. Endurance is possible. There was about 4 weeks between my tests so that could do it too haha.

How can these companies even give out numeric scores? The new exam hasn't even been administered yet, and there is no legitimate information regarding what actually contributes to a certain score yet (right?). Also, diagnostics have been known to be much harder so that students opt to take a review course, so OP I think you've done a great job thus far.

same thing happened to me, scored 492 on kaplan diagnostic, took the nextstep diagnostic 3 weeks later after studying a bit, scored 500.

Reactions: 1 user
I scored a 499 on Kaplan and then (after 2 weeks of not much studying) a 503 on the NS diagnostic. Not as much of a jump as you, but still dubious considering that I really didn't do much studying in those 2 weeks.

Of course, the score differences could be attributed to endurance issues, as the Kaplan was FL and the NS diagnostic was 1/2 length.

You get 3 FLs if you purchase their 7-book set.

How do we get access to the 3 FLs once we receive our Kaplan books?