Menu Icon Search
Close Search

Kaplan Full Lengths and Section tests differences

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum' started by 09ine, 04.10.12.

1. 09ine

09ine

Pre-Medical
    Some info:

I got a 19 on my diagnostic, 25 on FL#1, 32 on FL#32 and 34 on FL#34 (I was jumping for joy at that one until I compared it to AAMC scales in which I would've gotten a 28...)

I'm most concerned with my section test scores:

BS1: 77%
    BS2: 57.69%
    BS3: 57.69%

PS1-3: in the 50s-60s...I hate PS

My worry is that there's a huge difference between my section test and FL scores. When I'm doing the section tests, yes they do feel a little more difficult, but I feel really dumb not knowing some basic information (missense, PCR etc...). Has anyone else had the same experience? I'm due in about a month and two weeks so it looks like I'll be reviewing some basic stuff.

Should I mix up the Kaplan FLs with AAMCs and section tests or have a stricter schedule with it? The subjects that I know, I KNOW, but the ones I don't I'm usually missing the detail that the question asks about.

Advice?
  2. KaplanPatrick

KaplanPatrick Elite Kaplan Instructor Exhibitor

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    09ine,

The best thing I can recommend at this point is you really need to focus on your weaknesses and the best way to do that is to take as many practice problems as possible! (This means problems that are going to be associated with passages! Just like the MCAT is going to test you on.)

This is going to include section tests, Kaplan and AAMC full lengths, and the hidden gem Kaplan TOPICAL tests! When you go back through and review your wrong answers take careful note of what topics you are consistently missing. (The best way to do this is to make some sort of table.) When you start to efficiently see what you are consistently getting wrong, you can quickly increase your way!

Let me know if I can help further!

Pat
  3. 09ine

09ine

Pre-Medical
    I find the Q bank as an amazing tool to show where I need the most help at. I've been doing the max amount for Bio (52-55 questions) under timed conditions so it feels like I'm doing more section tests. I'm still not doing ideal with these (in the 60%s still) but should I be correlating these with a scaled score (7-9?) or just focus on nailing the info that I don't understand in them?

I'll admit it feels great to see questions that I can nail after screwing up a related topic before, but it's frustrating to see new topics come up that show where I don't understand them.
  4. cgk

cgk Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I am taking my test on 5/31/12. I has been recommended to me not to take any more FL tests but just to take section tests at this point to avoid burnout come test day. Thus far, I have only broken a 30 on one test, and have not taken many FL tests as compared to so many others on SDN. Do you concur with this advice given my situation?
  5. KaplanPatrick

cgk,

I am not sure who gave you your recommendation to not take a full length but with 17 days left to study I think you could take 2-3 more full length exams and avoid burnout. If you really feel that you are burning out by all means take your section tests to avoid that feeling, however I really think that it would be to your benefit to take FLs. I would take your last full length 5-6 days before the real thing.

I always recommend to take full length 10 and 11 that have been released by the AAMC. They are excellent tests.

Pat
  6. KaplanPatrick

09ine,

Sorry for the delay in response! I think you should focus on both. It is always good to review material you haven't seen before in case it comes up on test day. You can also work to keep taking Full Length Exams to see your increase in score from all that hard work! Remember the more you see now the better you could be at remembering it come test day! Just don't burn yourself out!

Pat
  7. medapplicant1

medapplicant1

Medical Student
    cgk you could easily take at least 2 more tests. I would take 3. Just space them enough so you have a full day to review them and take a one day prep/break after you take them and try not to take a test within 5 days of your actual test. If you haven't taken many full lengths then you really need to jam a few out to build your test taking stamina.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal