Kaplan Intensive Summer MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard or have done the Kaplan Summer Intensive program in Boston? It's quite expensive and I would like people's opinion on the program?
Six weeks, six days a week, morning to night lecture, study hall, and test taking.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, this is actually an area of expertise for me as I was one of the instructors selected to join the faculty team for the 2006 MCAT Summer Intensive Program. I am serving as one of the instructors of the MCAT SIP this summer as well. As you might imagine I am quite enthusiastic about the program, and I'll share some of my impressions about the program here:

From the instructor's perspective, I had a blast teaching for the MCAT SIP. I originally jumped at the chance to teach for the MCAT SIP because I was attracted to the idea of being able to work closely with your students every single day. In a regular classroom course, you see your students twice a week for three hours and that's it. Despite the fact that I hold weekly office hours and send out a lot of emails, it is difficult to ensure that you can truly drive home the concepts. Furthermore, there is a lot of difficult "next level" material that is left out of the standard Kaplan classroom course embedded in the topical tests, workshops, High-Yield Problem Solving Guide, etc. To the instructor, this program offered the opportunity to work closely and intensely with a small group of students...I now had the opportunity to pause and spend 45 minutes explaining the nephron, rather than rushing through it as usual. And then when I was done with that, you have the ability to isolate out the best passages related to that topic and review it right there...all in a small group setting, which I find to be more deeply penetrating than just only tutoring (there's plenty of tutoring that goes on too). And you get to see your students every single day. You eat all your meals together, go to the same gym and live only one floor apart. The ability of a student to just drop everything and disappear is eliminated. As a result, you do get close to your students. I still keep in touch with the students who were in my section last year.

Moreover, I learned a ton last summer b/c Kaplan flew in expert admissions consulting speakers to speak on their experience of what admissions officers are looking for, how to craft your personal statement, and how ace your interview. Even though I thought I knew a lot of information about the admissions process, most of it was anectodal and based on word of mouth. Having the opportunity to listen to professional admissions consultants breakdown each facet of the admissions process was quite the eye opener. I attended those sessions and took notes myself so that I now can give more focused and accurate advice when I am informally asked for advice on a personal statement or interview.

Finally, I have to gush about the accommodations b/c they were breathtaking (floor to ceiling windows in the living room with a view of the river and downtown Boston!) -- from top to bottom the Kaplan MCAT SIP is really the Rolls Royce way to prep for the MCAT.

This year I know that we're running the '07 SIP a bit differently than last summer. The student:teacher ratio has been reduced as they've hired 10 full time instructors (you can read a bio about each one of us on their website at www.kaptest.com/mcatsummer), plus the daily schedule has been optimized to more carefully balance the need for free time vs. class time. Finally, even though the program doesn't begin for eight weeks we have already started to provide guidance to the '07 class of SIP students to ensure that they get the most out of the '07 program once it actually begins.

As you can tell, this program is all about delivering extremely high-end service to the student. Of course, that kind of service is going to be expensive. However, that doesn't mean there is only one type of student who enrolls for this program. The most common misconception (even among the other Kaplan instructors who didn't teach last year) is that there is a generic SIP student. One of the most interesting parts of the SIP is that the student population is incredibly diverse across all types of divisions: geographic, ethnic, socio-economic and even age. Outside of seeing the students improve, one of the most rewarding aspects was seeing students have fun and make friends for life. For example, three students from my section are planning to travel to Europe together this summer.

Overall, I highly recommend the program. Feel free to follow up with any specific questions via PM or within this thread, and regardless of how you choose to prepare for the MCAT I wish you good luck.

maybe i'm just a bit jaded or something, but doesn't spending that much money somehow lessen your accomplishment?

though if 10 grand isn't a problem, go for it. if this can't improve your scores i'd imagine nothing will.

Wow -- floor to ceiling windows. Princeton Review certainly can't offer that. All we're doing is about 350 hours of instruction from the top instructors in the nation, for thousands less. Silly us.

OP: know that if you are looking for a Ferrari or Porsche instead of a Rolls Royce, there are options. See here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if you could comment on how the students scored last year after the summer intensive program.

I don't know if you are allowed to comment, just curious.

I wonder if you could comment on how the students scored last year after the summer intensive program.

I don't know if you are allowed to comment, just curious.

Hi Lynn,

While we didn't have enough students to conduct an official score study on these kids, the results were VERY polar. We were honestly surprised, because to a small degree we imagined that locking them up for 6 weeks and throwing away the key would contribute just in the slightest to a magic pill effect. It didn't. Many of the students worked their butt off in the program and got into medical school when they otherwise wouldn't have- they tried and were denied, and now accepted. We also already have half a dozen students in this year's program that are siblings or relatives of those who attended last year.

What really surprised us was the degree to which some students showed 0 improvement at all. These students ignored much of the work that was required and paid dearly for it. That said, many of them took advantage of a part of the program that allows students to repeat in a regular classroom course for free, or receive 35 hours of tutoring at their home center after summer intensive for a discounted rate of $35 per hour. Most of that cohort is doing slightly better.

Some highlights of the program are 3 37+ scores in the top shooter crowd, with initial Kaplan diagnostic or real MCAT scores in the mid 20s (to their credit the program was just the opportunity the needed to study day and night, in the end they had to do that studying, we just helped).

Other examples were drastic score jumps from extremely low (low teen) scores up to mid 20s, enough to get those students in to medical school in their state schools.

Like I said earlier, the program is really no magic pill. Its simply an oppurtunity to get away and lock up in about 2 months the biggest question mark still remaining in your application - the MCAT score.

I can't wait till Kaplan teams up with Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic to offer intense MCAT prep in space.

"For $250,000 you'll be able to practice mapping passages on the dark side of the moon!"

I can't wait till Kaplan teams up with Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic to offer intense MCAT prep in space.

"For $250,000 you'll be able to practice mapping passages on the dark side of the moon!"

If a zero-gravity environment impedes less the flow of information to your brain....

Our innovation team keeps upping the ante every year - if you haven't seen what we're doing now with our regular classroom course (in the online environment), you should take a look. We're about 2 clicks shy of hooking up an fMRI machine to MCAT students' heads to see how they're retaining certain concepts and responding to certain study tools.

That said, often students forget what a couple of good ol' fashioned hours of full-length whoopa$$ and review can do to someone's MCAT score.

Very true. People often sign up for Kaplan with the expectation that this will somehow allow them to avoid studying. As an MCAT teacher I am in awe of the lack of effort put out by most students and the amount of babysitting I need to do to get them to do the bare minimum (like take the required full lengths on time). I guess the $1700 pricetag isn't enough to get most people focused...

If a zero-gravity environment impedes less the flow of information to your brain....

Our innovation team keeps upping the ante every year - if you haven't seen what we're doing now with our regular classroom course (in the online environment), you should take a look. We're about 2 clicks shy of hooking up an fMRI machine to MCAT students' heads to see how they're retaining certain concepts and responding to certain study tools.

That said, often students forget what a couple of good ol' fashioned hours of full-length whoopa$$ and review can do to someone's MCAT score.

Here are some links on the housing/class/dining/gym arrangements of the Kaplan MCAT Summer Intensive Program:

housing video: www.ktpforums.com/10buick.wmv (yes the suites have a view of the river and boston and include maid service)
Classroom building (across from housing, built last year): http://www.bu.edu/hospitality/buildingphotos.html
Campus dining: http://www.bu.edu/dbin/dining/westfloor.html
Gym/fitness: http://fitrec.bu.edu/facilities/fitr...ures.html#Tsai
More gym pictures: http://fitrec.bu.edu/facilities/fitr...gal/index.html

I would love to do that but I wish it was earlier so after completeing it you can get your scores back relativly early. I can't do it this year because of vacation planned out and next year I will get my scores back to late to apply.

im confused...so its basically a summer camp for MCAT? you just sleep, eat, and study there leading up to the MCAT? what happened to the old fashioned way of people just working hard and studying. i think all these things are extraneous and worthless. people managed to get into med school fine 20 years ago without all this nonsense, so why cant they do it now.

im confused...so its basically a summer camp for MCAT? you just sleep, eat, and study there leading up to the MCAT? what happened to the old fashioned way of people just working hard and studying. i think all these things are extraneous and worthless. people managed to get into med school fine 20 years ago without all this nonsense, so why cant they do it now.
You need to click your heels three times.

But frankly, this and Princeton Review's similar course (discussed here (though the thread has to some extent been co-opted by Kaplan promos) are people "working hard and studying". We're just adding all the resources necessary to maximize the value of that studying, particularly (if their course is like ours) the constant availability of expert instructors. Nobody should think this is a way to buy himself a good MCAT score: our students will be working seven days a week, full days (they vary, but ranging from eight to fifteen hours). Summer Camp from hell, pretty much, but all for good cause.

The world has become increasingly competitive, and it is perfectly rational to seek every edge available. For some, these courses are that edge.

As you can tell, this program is all about delivering extremely high-end service to the student. Of course, that kind of service is going to be expensive. However, that doesn't mean there is only one type of student who enrolls for this program. The most common misconception (even among the other Kaplan instructors who didn't teach last year) is that there is a generic SIP student. One of the most interesting parts of the SIP is that the student population is incredibly diverse across all types of divisions: geographic, ethnic, socio-economic and even age.

Socio-economic diversity at this thing!?! Do you mean like rich, really rich and uber rich? What a ridiculous statement to say that you would find economic diversity at such an expensive program.

A cohort of students last year took out loans to pay for the program, treating it like a serious, and in some cases, necessary investment to get them into medical school, and for those that did end up taking it seriously, did well enough to get in.

Socio-economic diversity at this thing!?! Do you mean like rich, really rich and uber rich? What a ridiculous statement to say that you would find economic diversity at such an expensive program.

With all due respect, I taught at this program last year and have already talked to over half of the students enrolled in this year's program: there is a rather large difference in socio-economic backgrounds. A large number of students took out financial loans to pay for the program last year, and the same is occurring this year.

Personally, I initially thought like you that there would only be one type of student, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a rather wide range of personal and academic backgrounds in the overall student population. It then occurred to me that my own preconceptions were faulty; after all, I attended a rather expensive undergraduate university and yet nearly all of my friends came from middle class families that earned under $80k. They had to take out loans and also get a part-time job to help pay the tuition.

Overall, this touches at the larger issue of price elasticity. The fact that tuition prices has been rising steadily over the years with no concurrent decrease in demand indicates that education behaves as an inelastic good. I recall speaking with the father of one of my students last year, and he repeatedly emphasized to me that money was no object as he tried to coax me out of my job last year with Kaplan and to privately tutor his children. There are many people in this country that value education highly. Some, like Gregg Easterbrook (of the New Republic and Atlantic Monthly), have written quite a bit about this issue and scoffed at the trend.

In other words, education is not quite a luxury good. In other words, generally speaking, it is rather safe to assume that someone who totes a $8k handbag belongs to the upper class, but it would be false to make that same generalization of a student who attended a $8k MCAT program.

it's for people who learn better when forced to study in that type of an environment. some students lack motivation unless to get work done unless they are in a classroom setting. some (like me) are the complete opposite and need to be alone to get work done. it's all about preference--my preference just happens to be thousands of dollars cheaper ;)