Kaplan MCAT in a box or Barron's MCAT flashcards..Helpful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubisco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used either of these for getting the concepts/formulas down? Are they helpful? Which do you recommend? I almost want to purchase them, so I don't have to write biology flashcards.

I've seen some reviews on MCAT In a box, but no one seems to have used Barron's flashcards.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd be better off making your own. You'd have the benefit of writing them then reviewing them which is better for retention

I think it is a combination of both... writing them out really doesn't help you that much in my opinion. Don't waste the time writing them finding the material. I have both sets and have learned them both cold. After a few weeks of not missing any, then I went to my notes and found concepts I was having trouble with... and made my own. Its not either or/ its and/both.

I know i said it may be more efficient to make your own but I just found out the Barron's mcat flashcards are available as an app for the iPhone or iPod touch. It's the full set of cards and it's only 6.99 (as opposed to 18.99 for the actual cards) I just bought the app because, well, it's only $7 and this way I can look at them on the bus etc rather than carrying around cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering about this app now that I read your post. Does anyone have any experience with the app or with Barron's in general? I haven't heard too much about them.

I have the Kaplan cards-those are pretty useful for making sure you have the ittt bitty pieces down. The pack is huge, and it reviews everything. Although now that typicalindian brings it up, it would be easier to pull out my ipad rather than the set of index cards...

I just found the Barron's flashcards at Barnes and noble as well as the app. I agree it's very nice to have them on the phone or iPad, but do the cards contain good content? I know anything helps, but I want to make sure I'm paying for the best app/flashcards. :)

make your own, and use this program called anki. it keeps track of your progress and also has an app for iOS and android