Kaplan MCAT Practice Accuracy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agoron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I'm sure that there are multiple threads like this, but I was wondering from experience, how accurate are the Kaplan practice exams at predicting an MCAT score? I know there is variation, obviously, depending on many factors, but I'm just curious to how I should feel about my score.

I took the practice after studying lightly on my own for the past few months, and I'm starting to study more intensely now (I'm taking the MCAT January 13th). I received a 30 (9 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS). However, my % breakdown has me thinking my scores shouldn't be that high. I only received a 60% on PS, 70% on BS, and a 90% on VR. I know physical sciences is what I really need to work on, and biological sciences was mostly bad for me because I honestly haven't looked at orgo yet (although I did very well in orgo I and II, so I'm not concerned there, I just need a refresher).

So, how accurate are the results? Should I be pleased with how my practice went? I did feel like the exam was difficult, especially PS. However, I don't want to have a false sense of security going through the next few months of prep.

Also, the BS section had many experimentally-based passages, which I honestly was not a fan of. Is the actual MCAT structured like that as well? For some reason the passages that included an experiment threw me off.

Thanks in advance for advice and replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally don't know much about the Kaplan tests; but from personal experience, do the AAMC practice tests. They're your best predictors for the actual.

From my experience, the kaplan exams do an okay job predicting your scores even though the breakdown is different. Like you said, you can miss more problems and still get an okay score where as if you missed the same amount of questions on an aamc the score would be much lower. I personally don't like the Kaplan exams. I did two of them and while although I did well on them, I don't think the questions are anything like the aamc style. Especially the verbal reasoning section....Kaplans renditions is nothing like the aamc.....examkrackers does a much better job...purchase 101 passages for verbal reason examkrackers. Great practice book. Don't take Kaplan practices too seriously....just use them for practicing some of the material. Kaplan questions are much more specific.....aamc is much broader.

Here is the way I prepared for the mcat. Took an aamc exam before studying to see where I was at. Studied for 4 weeks 5 hours a day with sundays off. Then did 2 weeks of practice aamc exams while reviewing the material that I was missing. Then took the real thing. You should try to take it before january 13th....just in case you need a retake. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience, the kaplan exams do an okay job predicting your scores even though the breakdown is different. Like you said, you can miss more problems and still get an okay score where as if you missed the same amount of questions on an aamc the score would be much lower. I personally don't like the Kaplan exams. I did two of them and while although I did well on them, I don't think the questions are anything like the aamc style. Especially the verbal reasoning section....Kaplans renditions is nothing like the aamc.....examkrackers does a much better job...purchase 101 passages for verbal reason examkrackers. Great practice book. Don't take Kaplan practices too seriously....just use them for practicing some of the material. Kaplan questions are much more specific.....aamc is much broader.

Here is the way I prepared for the mcat. Studied for 4 weeks 5 hours a day with sundays off. Then did 2 weeks of practice aamc exams while reviewing the material that I was missing. Then took the real thing. You should try to take it before january 13th....just in case you need a retake. Good luck!

To add to that, December 6 is the most probable time before January. AAMC added that date for the sole purpose of giving more test dates because all the traditional test dates are taken

I received a 30 (9 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS). However, my % breakdown has me thinking my scores shouldn't be that high. I only received a 60% on PS, 70% on BS, and a 90% on VR.

Hard to say for the comparison, but everyone I know who has taken Kaplan practice tests say the tests score high. FWIW, that % breakdown would give you something like a 7 on PS, 11 on VR, and 8-9 on BS on the real thing.

Also, the BS section had many experimentally-based passages, which I honestly was not a fan of. Is the actual MCAT structured like that as well?

Yes.