Menu Icon Search
Close Search

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Kaplan MCAT qbank

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum' started by Monkeymaniac, 12.16.10.

1. Monkeymaniac

Monkeymaniac Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Having exhausted most of practice materials, I am thinking about enrolling in Kaplan online course and also buying MCAT qbank.

How many questions do we get access to with Kaplan qbank?
    Do the questions cover all 5 subject areas including verbal?
    Also, are the qbank questions different from practice questions provided with the full online course? Thanks in advance!
  2. apumic

apumic Oracle of the Sheet

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Kap VR is crap. Go elsewhere if that's your main need for practice.
  3. LaurenMCAT

LaurenMCAT Elite Kaplan Instructor Exhibitor

SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor
    Hi again, Monkeymanic :hello:

I briefly answered this question in another thread you started, but here's a more thorough reply...for everyone's benefit!

In regards to the Kaplan Q-Bank (http://www.kaptest.com/MCAT/Prep-for-the-MCAT/On-Demand/mcat-qbank.html), the questions are different from what you would see otherwise in all your other materials.

And, yes, these questions cover ALL 5 topics: physics, gen chem, o chem, bio, and verbal reasoning. Both discrete questions and passage-based questions are available. (Obviously, VR has passage-based questions only!)

The cool thing about the Q-bank is that YOU decide what topic you want to be tested on, how long or short the quiz should be, whether or not to include passages, and if you want to have a timer ;) For example, I had a tutoring student who really needed to review JUST the humanities passages in Verbal Reasoning and we only wanted to cover one or two passages together, so we made an untimed Humanities VR quiz (you can actually save them under whatever name you want) with 2 passages and 15 questions.

The ability to customize your testing options like that is pretty cool and time-effective. If you DO choose to use the Q-bank, I recommend focusing on the weak areas of yours that are likely to show up on the MCAT (like humanities passages in VR!!!! hahaha).

Hope this helps :)
  4. stevo111

stevo111

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    The qbank is good for its customization features. I loved just going through 30-50 questions on random subject and figuring out what I did wrong and strengthening my weaker and middle-range subjects. However, I did find some typos here and there which made things hard to work with while I was studying. Hopefully Kaplan fixed these by now, but watch out if anything like that comes up. The same goes for the "subject" and "topical" tests, although those tended to be a bit tougher than the qbank quizzes.

Don't rely on it for verbal tho. Id go with EK 101 if you haven't looked at that yet.

good luck.
  5. WhiteWashed

WhiteWashed

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

looking into this...any promos coming up...200 is STEEP! :)
  6. LaurenMCAT

7. LaurenMCAT

As I just posted elsewhere: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=787493

ALL Kaplan prep-courses come with Q Bank. YAY! :highfive:
  8. 10Sdoc

10Sdoc

Pre-Medical
  9. LaurenMCAT

10. qiyjia

qiyjia

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sorry to bump this... When should I order the QBank if I plan on taking the MCAT in late-August? Should I order it in March, work on it for three months, and have time in summer to do the FLs and intensive reviewing? Or should I order it in May and work on it (along with the FLs and reviews) right until the week of MCAT?

The problem with starting the QBanks in March for me would be that I'm taking a whole bunch of classes in school, and once final exam weeks come, I won't be actively doing MCAT practice problems for a few weeks because there's just no time. But I want to have enough time to spread things out so I don't have stress attacks everyday of summer.
  11. LaurenMCAT

qiyjia -

Good questions!!

Before I can answer YOUR questions adequately, I've got some questions for you, so I can better understand your situation/goals/expectations:

- Have you reviewed/mastered all the MCAT content info? (you want to do this first before tackling full-length practice exams)
    - Do you have 15 minutes a day during March/leading up to the summer months to work on MCAT prep? (if so...you can happily do a few QBank problems in that time...to keep you on your toes ;) )

Also - I recommend NOT doing ANY practice full-lengths the week of your MCAT exam. Instead, briefly review your strongest topics, use flash-cards to keep your immediate recall sharp, and play with equations and mathematical procedures just for fun :D

- Lauren
  12. jansOri23

jansOri23

Pre-Medical
    how many passages does the Qbank give for the verbal section? or for other subjects for that matter..?
  13. KaplanPatrick

KaplanPatrick Elite Kaplan Instructor Exhibitor

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    jansOri23,

The Q-Bank is able to tap into our question bank of over 11,000 questions! With 19 Full Length examination and countless section and topical tests, there are a plethora of passages for Verbal and the sciences.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Pat
  14. nym9631

nym9631

Pre-Medical
    DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY ON KAPLAN MCAT QBANK!!!!!!!!!!

The questions are nothing close to the real exam and it does not have the accurate timings to allow you arrange questions in blocks like the real MCAT. I made the mistake and purchased it, then I called for a refund and they told me that if you answer EVEN 1 question, they will not make a refund!!!! How ridiculous is that?!! How am I supposed to know that I like the course or not if I do not even answer one question?!!!
    Just save your money please, spend it on AAMC practice tests instead, which are very close to the actual exam.