Kaplan MCAT question help - amino acids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropanic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand why the correct answer is correct, however I don't understand how another answer choice is incorrect and Kaplan's explanation is not very good..

"The five-membere iminoring of the amino acid proline prevents the alpha- amine nitrogen from participating in hydrogen bonding. Which of the following is most likely true?

Correct answer: Proline decreases the stability of beta-pleated sheets.
Wrong answer: Proline cannot act like a Bronsted-Lowry base.

Their explanation is that because it cannot participate in hydrogen bonding, it disrupts beta- sheets. However, wouldn't this also be true for Bronsted- Lowry base?? They said that the alpha-amino nitrogen can still bind a proton and become a quaternary amine. How can it not bind a hydrogen but can bind a proton?????
Am I just thinking about this wrong on the basis of inter v. intra molecular forces?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems to me that the correct answer is correct because it addresses the question's interest: H-bonding/weak bonding forces. Forming a B-L base is not a weak bonding action. The question is testing to make sure that you understand what actually constitutes the weak intermolecular bonding forces.

Reactions: 1 user
proline by itself still has carboxylic acid group that can participate in acid-base rxn.