Kaplan QBank for Step2 - is it good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my question.

Anyone go through Kaplan for 2CK and have an opinion? I've heard mixed things.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this in the official step 2 CK experiences thread. I think it's in keeping with the strategy you've recommended for step 1. Bottom line, I think the kaplan bank is worth it (ended up with 263 just doing questions from uworld and kaplan).

"As for kaplan,the questions are not as good as uworld nor as representative of the actual test. But for me they were valuable as they forced me to really read the question and think critically even if the question was some minutia or poorly worded. And the test seemed to me more of a massive thought process and educated guesses rather than gimmes (which I thought Step 1 had more of). So the thought process during studying is extremely valuable and only attainable (for me) with new questions."

Reactions: 2 users
I just took my CK on Wednesday and used Kaplan Qbank for a while during and after I completed their live lectures in May. I appreciated it as a good basic introduction to how to approach the types of questions and how to train yourself to think in the CK mindset while I was doing content review. I found that a lot of their questions are constructed around the way they've written some of the text and some of the authors/teachers kind of teach to the test in that regard. I found it helpful to build stamina when having to face longer question stems and learn to sift through the fluff to get to the main point, but it's not your best bet for high quality questions with pristine formatting and great explanations. I studied along with the lecture notes and didn't bother to finish the whole bank. Technicality wise, I found the software to be kind of glitchy and cumbersome, there were a number of typos and after starting UWorld, I didn't look back at Kaplan. As far as the real exam goes, the questions are a lot more like UWorld and the NBMEs/shelves.