Kaplan Reading and Practice Test compared to actual DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 8586

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the difficulty of the Kaplan full length practice test in the back of the 08-09 KBB book? I'm thinking that's one of the first I will be taking because it has explanations, followed by TopScore's and the one I ordered from the ADA will be the last one since it's probably most accurate.

Also, how do the reading passages-questions combos in the KBB book compare to actual DAT? I'm testing different strategies and not going well. I just did the first two passages:

• 9/17 right in 17:34 time using the map-out method (reading first paragraph and then writing down first line/topic of each subsequent paragraph then jumping to questions)
  • 11/17 correct in 16:09 time just reading the full passage, then jumping to questions and referring back to the passage.

For the Kaplan PAT, I hear it's a lot easier than the actual. I got 79/90 correct on it with time to spare. Is it A LOT easier or am I in pretty good shape for PAT - I'm going to use some online sources I've found on here and going to purchase Crack DAT PAT but I think I'm leaning toward the King 5 test version because I'm semi-comfortable with the PAT, or should I just get the 10 test version for $30 bucks more?

Members don't see this ad.

There was a tone question when I took the test...about a week and a half ago. I don't remember if there were any comprehension questions though. The Kaplan method for reading comprehension does work- if you do it right. I got a 21.
But - the search and destroy method works just as well too if you can do that. I used a combination of both, but mostly Kaplan's method.

The pat in the Kaplan book is wayyyy too easy compared to cdp. And people say cdp is accurate so I'd go with Kaplan actually is too easy.

I just did the reading sections in the Kaplan book too, what worked really well for me was to read the first question and then start reading until I found the answer, and continue reading for the second answer etc. also there were no tone or comprehension questions so I don't think it's a good source.

are the questions in order of the passage on the DAT though?
also, there were no tone or comprehension questions on...the DAT? so youre saying you dont think Kaplan is a good source because it DOES have some tone/comprehension questions?

There was a tone question when I took the test...about a week and a half ago. I don't remember if there were any comprehension questions though. The Kaplan method for reading comprehension does work- if you do it right. I got a 21.
But - the search and destroy method works just as well too if you can do that. I used a combination of both, but mostly Kaplan's method.

so there was only one tone question from all 3 passages? the rest were all detail oriented mostly?

are the questions in order of the passage on the DAT though?
also, there were no tone or comprehension questions on...the DAT? so youre saying you dont think Kaplan is a good source because it DOES have some tone/comprehension questions?

No no, there were none in the Kaplan exam. And the questions were not in order. I heard the real DAT has a little more of comprehension questions rather than pure details.