Kaplan Step 2 lecture notes and Online Prep

Discussion in 'Kaplan Medical USMLE Forum' started by ayushman80, May 14, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ayushman80

ayushman80

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is there an online prep course for Step 2 CK? I couldn't find one on the kaplan website. Also, can people comment on how good & upto date with current medical guidelines the Kaplan Step 2 lecture notes are? I've heard that the notes aren't updated with current medical guidelines very often (e.g. the 2004 notes were essentially the same as the 2008-2009).
  2. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. OveractiveBrain

OveractiveBrain

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I dont work for Kaplan and can definitely say there are updates. Ive seen the yellow 2005 versions (a friend of mine bought them as part of this ebay package). I did the red 2009 version.

Content isn't THAT different. Classic presentation, diagnostics, and general treatment for most diseases doesn't change. I'll tell you what though, you might blow right through a change and not even realize it (MTZ not ok in pregnancy to MTZ is ok in pregnancy, for example).

Seriously dude, pay for the notes. They are worth it. Pay for the DVDs. They are worth it.
  4. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    We agree, OveractiveBrain! It is worth having the latest edition of the notes, as you don't want to miss important updates. Same goes for the videos - our online offerings have the latest info so you can be assured of accurate content and excellent context. Thanks so much!
  5. lucid1

lucid1

Medical Student
    I did the live lectures for Step 1 and Qbank, and I was in the 91th percentile.

On Step 2 I did the Online lectures and I mainly took notes during and was able to pause or replay certain segments. These were fantastic. I setup a schedule for myself to finish all the videos and I felt most of the questions on my test drew from knowledge I had gained from watching these lectures. I still to this day sing Conrad Fischer's little songs. This time I finished in the 94th percentile. If nothing else, make sure to do the online lectures and you will not be sorry if you schedule well and take your time going through them.

Good luck!
  6. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Congratulations, lucid1!

We are always happy to hear of our student's success!

We are also very pleased that our course was helpful and user-friendly. Your focus and good planning worked well for extremely efficient and effective prep.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, and best of luck on your continued journey to residency!
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. justdoit31

justdoit31

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I ordered the 2011-2012 course and got purple books for Step 2, also- when I go to log in on Kaplans website it and pick online videos it tells me to keep downloading the same plug in... hopefully that changes in a couple weeks when my actual subscription starts.

Looking forward to it and having this exam out of the way!
  8. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hello justdoit31!

Thank you for allowing Kaplan to help you prep for Step 2! The online course should work extremely well for you.

If you suspect a technical difficulty, please contact customer service where one of the reps can help check. 800-KAPTEST (or 212-997-5883 outside US/Canada).

Good luck!
  9. Foodie521

Foodie521

I have a question, when you order the video lectures online, does it come with the notes? I'm surprised at how little information is provided on Kaplan's website for such a big investment. I looked at different ways of contacting Kaplan to ask them my Q's (is there a pre-set schedule when you buy 3 months?) but the only thing I found was a phone number.
  10. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi Foodie521,

I'm sorry you didn't find enough information on the website, and we'll look into it.

The OnlinePrep does include a 5-volume set of lecture notes, as well as the diagnostic test, 5 specialty assessment tests and a full-length Simulated Exam. There is no pre-set schedule, though we are happy to make recommendations to help you develop a study plan.

Please ask any other questions you have! You can also call customer service (1-800-KAPTEST or 1-800-997-5883 outside US/Canada), or write [email protected].

Thank you for inquiring!
  11. lavender24

lavender24 Perseverance

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have scheduled 4 weeks to study for Step 2 CK, however I couldn't find any 1 month options on Kaplan's website.

Other students have told me that they've found the Kaplan prep videos very helpful to use throughout 3rd year to learn and prep for shelf exams. Most students I've talked to did not have more than 1 month dedicated to studying for Step 2 CK. Since there are SO many lectures online, according to the advertisement there are >140 hours, in addition to all the questions/simulated tests available, I'm just wondering how would someone like me utilize the Kaplan resources to achieve the best results in 1 month? Is there a typical schedule?
  12. Mroyer4

Mroyer4

Pre-Medical
    Is there any way to buy just the lecture notes?
  13. Metaform

Metaform

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ^^^I wish. It wouldve been nice if they made the LNs available for purchase without subscribing to a course.
  14. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hello lavender24!

It's good to hear other students were pleased with our online video course! It does provide a comprehensive list from which to choose. If you don't have much time, you should spend more time on your weaker areas which are assessed by a Diagnostic Exam, reviewing all the highest yield content. Practice questions to gain familiarity with the exam interface, apply knowledge and work on pacing.

We can send you a sample 1-month schedule that can be used as a basis for you to develop your own study schedule. We will include study tips, too, which should help focus and efficiency. Please send us your email address or write to [email protected].
  15. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi mroyer4 and metaform -

Thank you for telling us what is on your wish list, and we will forward your comments. We have taken into consideration this idea recently, and certainly will post all news as it comes in!
  16. afnan

afnan

Medical Student
    hey kaplan emily im am a new user here.. i am having trouble in starting prep for usmle... study partner, books, approach and many things to ask before i start with the prep.. soo i'l appreciate what efforts u put in n all those who read this to answer thans alot..
  17. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student