1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Kaplan Summer Intensive

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum' started by GatorHater, Dec 29, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. GatorHater

GatorHater

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I know there have been threads on this, but I was curious to know about any success stories with this program, by teachers or anyone on here that has taken it.

You would think that with spending that kind of money, you should at least be guaranteed almost a 30. If there was some guarantee like that I would surely do it. Plus in my situation where I have already tried Kaplan online and did not do well, maybe I could cut a deal
  2. RogueUnicorn

RogueUnicorn rawr.

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    you have to work hard. i know of someone who got a 45S from that program though
  3. GatorHater

GatorHater

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Well I figured that it was hard work, I am just wondering if it is worth it considering how much it costs
  4. GatorHater

GatorHater

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Nobody knows anything about this course?
  5. antigone823

antigone823

Pre-Medical
    I attended the summer intensive program with Kaplan and its all about making money. The things that they teach you are things you can do on your own and it's very difficult to keep up with the pace. As for the people who got good scores in the program there are few and those who did have done a prep course before taking the summer intensive program. there were 50 people in the program and of that I only know about 10 that did well the other 40 had to postpone test dates and find their own way of studying the material. the point is that this method is expensive and not worth it. If you put aside the time for yourself and find your own pace then you will do great. But don't waste your money
  6. premedw

premedw

SDN 2+ Year Member
    do u know of any stats that tell you how people have performed after doing this summer intensive program?
  7. sirdoug

sirdoug

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I did the SIP in san diego 2008. I happened to have a family member who lived close by, which made it cheaper. The course has the regular kaplan program with personal tutoring and study groups which are headed by kaplan instructors. There are also workshops on applying to med school with your personal statement, interviews, and a few more. For it me it was worth it. I had been in a rut for studying in school, but after this course I've basically gotten 4.0 gps since. I had to go over the MCAT material again on my own after the school and I got a great MCAT - 35, but I worked hard. I learned a ton. If you do it, I just recommend that do all the preview before you go, that was my biggest regret.
  8. TrojanRunner87

TrojanRunner87

Pre-Medical
    I took the Kaplan Summer Intensive in Boston in 2009. I raised my score from a 25 to a 28.

NOW - why didn't I score well? I'm not really sure. I worked very hard, and prepped with a Kaplan book the summer before. I was scoring 33's and 34's on practice tests. I was backhanding physical science and biology sections like they were downright disrespectful. Verbal wasn't so great for me, my scores actually decreased. I think I may have flipped my lid on 'test day.'

So would I recommend the course? If you're a diligent, hardworking, derive-equations-for-fun-type, then stay at home and save your money. For all others - this course was great. There is no substitute for full immersion. I'm not really sure how everybody else did, but even though I didn't do stellar, I couldn't have done better without the program. An added bonus is that if you still have classes to take in physics, biochemistry, or organic, you will destroy them. You will sleep through them and drop A's left and right.

So, I wrote Kaplan and told them about my score, and they gave me a free online class AND the new review notes. They don't forget about their students. My strategy is to Kaplanize the Bio and Phys sections and do my own thing for Verbal.

This passage's main idea was:
    A) The summer intensive program is pretty good
    B) Pretty good is the summer intensive program
    C) The summer intensive program is slightly less than slightly more than pretty good
    D) All of these answer mean the same thing and you must choose the correct one anyway.
  9. iheartstats

iheartstats

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would be interested in hearing more people's experiences. The boot camp style is appealing me actually. Masochistic? Maybe a little. :) Last post was 1/10- anyone take it last summer?
  10. LaurenMCAT

LaurenMCAT Elite Kaplan Instructor Exhibitor

SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor
    Hi GatorHater and other students interested in the Summer Intensive Program (SIP)...

Here is a link from Test Prep Week discussing SIP: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=802531

And another thread where I posted a significant response filled with lots of good info!

GatorHater brings up a really good point, too: does the fee of the course correlate with your eventual test score? NO WAY! Your eventual test score is determined by your individual effort and preparation. What SIP offers is an incredible opportunity to re-learn, discuss, and practice the full range of Kaplan resources in a myriad of environments: small group, large lecture, one-on-one tutoring, and evening workshops, within a concentrated 6-week window where you don't have any other responsibilities to worry about!

Do some people squander this opportunity? You bet. Do some people need to take the MCAT twice even after SIP? Yep. Why? A lot of pre-meds need to perfect their work-ethic and put more effort into re-learning the material that they didn't master before the program began. But...we certainly take care of ALL our students and make sure that EVERYONE realizes the MCAT score they desire!!

Holler back with any other questions :) And for the record, both the Boston University and UCSD programs are sold-out, but I believe there is a waitlist! Check here: http://www.kaptest.com/MCAT/Prep-for-the-MCAT/Classroom-On-Site/mcat-summer-intensive.html
  11. stitchesNYC

stitchesNYC

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone experiences to share from this summers intensive program? Was it worth it?
  12. ash26

ash26

can someone please tell me their experiences with this?