Kaplan Topical and Section tests vs TBR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I was just wondering what your opinions were on the Kaplan topical and sectional tests versus TBR in regards to Physics, Gchem, and Ochem. From what I've seen, they are both very difficult (primarily physics and gchem) , however TBR seems to be more conceptually oriented, while Kaplan involves some horrific calculations.

With my exam being less than two months away, any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all,

I was just wondering what your opinions were on the Kaplan topical and sectional tests versus TBR in regards to Physics, Gchem, and Ochem. From what I've seen, they are both very difficult (primarily physics and gchem) , however TBR seems to be more conceptually oriented, while Kaplan involves some horrific calculations.

With my exam being less than two months away, any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

Would also like to know this ^

Are their subject tests any good ?

I would start by using all TBR and use it as learning tool to master concepts......

after tbr (last month of prep), I would use Section tests to prepare for weird topics that mcat may throw at you and for reading comprehension...these section tests PS and BS (especially BS) have passages that are like verbal passages which is what you see in mcat....idea is to getting exposed to unfamiliar stuff and not getting freaked out about it is the use of section tests IMO...

also use topicals to identify where you have weakness so that you can do more content review on them....caution: they are incredibly tough but you would get used to it after doing some....you don't want to focus on scores if you do badly ...use it again as learning tool

I think you should do all of them (if you have time) as they emphasize different things....hope it helped

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan's subject tests suck. They're good for practicing your head math, but you don't have to do that much math in your head on the real MCAT.