Kaplan VERBAL- Please Advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angldrps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i realize that this question has already been asked before, but i would like to hear opinions from those who have taken the MCAT recently. I have been taking Kaplan FL exams and been able to improve my scores in the PS and BS sections, however in the Verbal section, i am constantly scoring below 10.
I am a retaker who has already used EK 101. Can you please advise me on how much i should worry about my low scores in the kaplan verbal? Also, other than EK 101, what books should i utilize to improve on verbal?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,
i realize that this question has already been asked before, but i would like to hear opinions from those who have taken the MCAT recently. I have been taking Kaplan FL exams and been able to improve my scores in the PS and BS sections, however in the Verbal section, i am constantly scoring below 10.
I am a retaker who has already used EK 101. Can you please advise me on how much i should worry about my low scores in the kaplan verbal? Also, other than EK 101, what books should i utilize to improve on verbal?

Read economist every day, 4-5 articles. And pace yourself while understanding the content.

I started with a 4 on VR ended with a 9. Averaged a 7. (just starting to understand how to read "well")

Members don't see this ad :)
can i have some more input please

are you reviewing your wrong questions to see what your mistakes were? Look for the common error types which Kaplan explains, like faulty use of detail, out of scope, exaggerations and extreme statements (always, never), etc.

read ny review of books http://www.nybooks.com/

Kaplan verbal is TERRIBLE... i'ts not that its too easy or too hard. the questions are completely different. Kaplan would ask about specific things from the passages. EK and AAMC exams make you think like the author, (how would the AUTHOR answer this question...)

When you do well in kaplan, then take AAMC, you look for the answer in the passage and its not there, and you have to start over.

my first kaplan score i got a 4... went to a 9-10 with kaplan. I did some AAMCs and got like 8s

I started doing EKs and would up my verbals on AAMC to 12, which is what i got on the real thing.

TL;DR: Use EK 101, and when you read and answer questions, do it from the writer of the passage's point of view

Kaplan verbal is TERRIBLE... i'ts not that its too easy or too hard. the questions are completely different. Kaplan would ask about specific things from the passages. EK and AAMC exams make you think like the author, (how would the AUTHOR answer this question...)

When you do well in kaplan, then take AAMC, you look for the answer in the passage and its not there, and you have to start over.

my first kaplan score i got a 4... went to a 9-10 with kaplan. I did some AAMCs and got like 8s

I started doing EKs and would up my verbals on AAMC to 12, which is what i got on the real thing.

TL;DR: Use EK 101, and when you read and answer questions, do it from the writer of the passage's point of view

This. :thumbup: