Karolinska in Stockholm for postdoc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlkmnsgrl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts or experience regarding postdoc research Karolinska? Looks like the offer is roughly $48k USD, but we're a family of 5, so not sure if we could survive. We're not big spenders, but it'd be $4-5k to visit home in western US once a year, so that's a big hit to an already small income.

Is cost of living here really so horrific? I mean, like Boston is horrific compared to North Carolina--is Sweden worse than Boston?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Sweden is definitely worse than Boston as the taxes are much higher and pretty much everything else is way too expensive. However, if you have kids (which I assume you do), you'll be pleased to know that you have a choice between private or public schools (both are free!)

I suppose the salary they pay you is usually adequate for one-two people.

Thanks. Kinda afraid of that. We still have to see what the Boston offer is, and there's an offer where he's at as a predoc right now. And then he's also waiting to see if he gets an interview for the EIS. So, long story short, we have options, but the data at the Karolinska is one of the better fits for his interests, so it's hard to pass it up. Same as Boston. But with 3 kids, it's a far cry from being an unhindered single guy who could live really well on what they've offered.

Still, we're blessed to have options. I'd be terrified if we didn't have any prospects!

Well that's great then. As long as you have options, you can weigh them out and see what suits you and your family best. I think you should also be able to get a job in Sweden along with your husband, and that should be enough. The cool thing about Sweden is that once you're legal residents there, the govt. will even give you money to take care of kids if your income falls below the average line.

So definitely explore Sweden more!