KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shuttle ~$35
Taxi ~ $65

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone who interviewed on the 15th remember how they said they were going to notify us? Thanks!

If anyone is interviewing tomorrow (Sept 19), staying at the Q hotel in Westport tonight and would like to hang out for a bit tonight, message me and let me know!

If anyone is interviewing tomorrow (Sept 19), staying at the Q hotel in Westport tonight and would like to hang out for a bit tonight, message me and let me know!

You certainly are on tour this past month! LOL

If I wanted to contact somebody in admissions regarding my application who would the best person be? They have 3-4 people listed on the website. Is there one in particular who deals much with the applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 9/14, II 9/19, Scheduled for 10/14
CONGRATZ!...is there an actual complete email after you submit and pay for the secondary?...I got the confirmation email with my completed secondary and a receipt email...is there another after they process the letters of rec and such

I received the confirmation emails (in terms of payment and secondary application) on Sept. 15 and received the "Your application is complete" email today.

interview scheduled for Nov. 18 :) Anyone else??

Also, does anyone know how much the deposit is once you receive an acceptance?

interview scheduled for Nov. 18 :) Anyone else??

Also, does anyone know how much the deposit is once you receive an acceptance?

It'll be 1 grand...and then another grand at another time to secure your spot. Was anyone asked about any health care/reform related questions? Thanks.

Nice to meet you FrkyBgStok, and anyone else who interviewed today. Good luck!

Interview invite today! Coming September 30th.

I was going to book that day but when I got home from work it was all full! haha. Now I'm October 5 :) lemme know how it goes!

good interview today. think i may get some love from this great school.

Glad to hear your interview went well. Can you tell us more about your interview day when you have a chance?

Glad to hear your interview went well. Can you tell us more about your interview day when you have a chance?

sure. start at 9am with generic introductions (about 25 of us) then a "why KCUMB" presentation. immediately following is a financial aid presentation. this took us through 10a. We then made our way to the auditorium (which was effing beautiful) with the student ambassadors (5 of them) where we they are answered any questions we had. At 1045a we broke into 5 groups of 5 or so and got tours of the campus. We finished at 11:30a in the cafeteria where we had lunch and I have to admit, for some reason, the veggie burger I had was amazing. we sat around and moseyed over to the the student center to get some coffee (free drink coupon) and wait until 12:45 where we went upstairs in the student center, tried on white coats, and waited for them to call us for interviews. I was 2nd to interview for my group and was called in right about 2p, but other groups were interviewing their 2nd people by 1:30. The interview started out really calm, and stayed that way. it was conversational and felt good. they asked a couple ethical questions (specifically euthanasia and an ethical problem facing healthcare of my choosing). after the interview i was free to go.

pretty good interview and really good day. i felt a lot better at the end of this interview regarding my performance. the interviewers seemed to portray "you have an acceptance, just don't lose it" so it made the interview day really relaxing. the school was great. couple negatives I saw. 1)The students say OMM is of medium importance. Not the minimum amount, but not emphasized heavily. To some this is probably a huge positive. And 2)More of a campus/college feel. With 80% of the school staying in the apartments across the street, and the buildings spread out, it seems to be like a normal university. Again, this may be a huge positive for others.

Maybe too much information.

sure. start at 9am with generic introductions (about 25 of us) then a "why KCUMB" presentation. immediately following is a financial aid presentation. this took us through 10a. We then made our way to the auditorium (which was effing beautiful) with the student ambassadors (5 of them) where we they are answered any questions we had. At 1045a we broke into 5 groups of 5 or so and got tours of the campus. We finished at 11:30a in the cafeteria where we had lunch and I have to admit, for some reason, the veggie burger I had was amazing. we sat around and moseyed over to the the student center to get some coffee (free drink coupon) and wait until 12:45 where we went upstairs in the student center, tried on white coats, and waited for them to call us for interviews. I was 2nd to interview for my group and was called in right about 2p, but other groups were interviewing their 2nd people by 1:30. The interview started out really calm, and stayed that way. it was conversational and felt good. they asked a couple ethical questions (specifically euthanasia and an ethical problem facing healthcare of my choosing). after the interview i was free to go.

pretty good interview and really good day. i felt a lot better at the end of this interview regarding my performance. the interviewers seemed to portray "you have an acceptance, just don't lose it" so it made the interview day really relaxing. the school was great. couple negatives I saw. 1)The students say OMM is of medium importance. Not the minimum amount, but not emphasized heavily. To some this is probably a huge positive. And 2)More of a campus/college feel. With 80% of the school staying in the apartments across the street, and the buildings spread out, it seems to be like a normal university. Again, this may be a huge positive for others.

Thank you for the information. How was Kansas City compared to Des Moines? Would you say KC is also family-friendly?

somewhat. i am heavily biased towards des moines, but des moines and suburbs is about 500,000 people while KC is 2 million (that is what they told us), so i still think des moines is going to be safer. but the suburbs seem great and there are some award winning schools in the area. plus it is right off the interstate so living 10 miles north means a 10 minute drive.

I was really impressed by KCUMB. I enjoyed the campus, the curriculum, and the anatomy lab. Only concern I have is with the quality of the rotations as the reviews on here have been polar opposites. The interview wasn't quite laid back for me, but didn't feel difficult. Only a couple difficult questions, most were fairly easy. (Why do you want to be a doctor, why DO? yada yada.)

Thanks for the good info! It seems like they ask ethical questions fairly often. How did you guys prepare for these? Where can i find the information/readings? Thanks!

Hey sorry to hear that, were you rejected pre or post-interview?

He/she posted in the underdog thread too. It was post-secondary.

Sorry to hear about that Laiba. Keep your head up! It's still relatively early for the other schools! :)

Thanks. I appreciate it!

Super Shuttling into KC on 9/27 ($33.00 round trip when I booked from MCI to Westport Hotel). I am a bit nervous but I believe most of what I'm feeling is excitement! Good luck to everyone on interviews and feedback!

This school really impressed me yesterday! My interview was really application specific

lol it was funny how the lady had to tell me on the phone that i was rejected and that the rejection letter is on its way :p
ouch :(

lol it was funny how the lady had to tell me on the phone that i was rejected and that the rejection letter is on its way :p
u called to find out the status of ur app or they called you to reject you?

Anyone staying at the holiday inn this saturday/sunday?

Dang that's not cool... sorry to hear that.

But like I said before, keep your head up! :)

PM me if anyone wants to meet for dinner sunday. i actually get there saturday pm. Any suggestions on what to do sunday? Flying out right after the interview monday.

I really like the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art. Has both indoor and outdoor exhibits. I incorporated the fact that I was planning on visiting the museum into my interview and I think it showed them that I was interested in the area.

There are also lots of parks. The Westport area has lots of eateries / bars. Neat area to walk around. The downtown area has the Power and Light District and the Plaza area. Shopping, restaurants. Hallmark Cards has a museum there too in the Power and Light district. There are also historical things to go look at in the area, but I haven't got there yet so can't help you too much there.

Hey how long did it take you guys to hear back from KCUMB about staying with students? is there a contact list for volunteer students if I don't hear back in a while? Thanks!