KCUMB VS CCOM Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been accepted to these two wonderful schools and am having difficulty deciding. I have already taken quite a bit into account but I was hoping to get some information on rotations. I know CCOM has unparalleled rotation sites especially in Chicago (ultimately where I want my residency position). How important is this? Does me having good rotation sites with CCOM give me a big edge for getting a residency in Chiago? How important are good rotations?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how much rotations even matter in the long run. Obviously it's better to have good rotations, but you'll learn stuff pretty quickly as an intern. I interviewed at pretty much every anesthesia program in Chicago, I think, and I didn't go to school there.

Kcumb and ccom are both fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I have been accepted to these two wonderful schools and am having difficulty deciding. I have already taken quite a bit into account but I was hoping to get some information on rotations. I know CCOM has unparalleled rotation sites especially in Chicago (ultimately where I want my residency position). How important is this? Does me having good rotation sites with CCOM give me a big edge for getting a residency in Chiago? How important are good rotations?
Thank you

I think CCOM will have stronger rotations sites. You can do selectives and electives at places you already rotated which will help you tremendously if you are seeking to get residency in Chicago. KCU does not have any rotation sites in Chicago.

For your question I put in bold: I think @meliora27 and @cliquesh will have sound and wise answers to that.

Edit: cliquesh beat me to it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the significantly higher tuition at CCOM is worth its price. You are looking at 60k vs 43k per year difference. If you want to apply for Chicago residency programs, you always have the opportunity to do away rotations in third or fourth year. I would choose KCU over CCOM, considering both are very established schools.

I won't say which way you should go, because I honestly don't know about CCOM's rotations. I'd say being near Chicago could be beneficial in terms of potentially making connections, but you should keep in mind you probably won't be making those connections much until 3rd year since the campus is about 35 minutes outside the city without traffic anyway. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are 6 MD schools in/near Chicago you'll be competing with for ACGME programs. Not saying one couldn't match there, just that it is a pretty desirable location and therefore competitive city to match in.

I would be living at home to help with the tuition difference. But you dont think that doing rotations in the city will help a fairly decent amount?

I would be living at home to help with the tuition difference. But you dont think that doing rotations in the city will help a fairly decent amount?

It will help, but Chicago isn't as competitive as NYC or California, at least from my experience.

If your family lives I'm Chicago and you want to do your residency in Chicago and your debt is basically going to be the same if you live at home in Chicago....seems like Ccom is the clear choice.

You will get a good education at either school. CCOM has some good rotation sites, Lutheran General, Cook County, Advocate Christ.

I would give CCOM a slight edge over KCUMB for clinical rotations probably.

Assuming you do well on boards, you should have plenty of good options coming from either place.

FWIW, CCOM has a required OMM rotation, KCUMB does not.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to be attending CCOM, so as a pre-med I can't really weigh in on what is better or how much doing rotations here will count in the long run. Just wanted to add that personally, as someone who is from Chicago and likely wants to stay in Chicago, the fact that you don't have to move for your third year rotations at CCOM was a big "pro" for me. I know if you attend KCUMB, you could potentially stay in KC for your core rotations, but at CCOM staying in the area is guaranteed. Perhaps that is less important to you though. Good luck with your choice - I feel like you can't go wrong either way!

Reactions: 2 users